1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You ain't never seen MOJO like this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Some of you might've already seen my earlier thread about my father-in-law's 1977 Precision getting dunked in the drink during Hurricane Harvey. Here's the thread-https://www.talkbass.com/threads/hurricane-harvey-victim.1301869/

As you can see, there was extensive damage to pretty much every component of the bass. Everything was rusted out, the finish had lifted almost completely off, and the electronics were junk. I took it all apart down to the very last tiniest screw, and started the rehab.

First, I didn't touch anything for a few weeks. The results of the finish settling can be seen in the later pages of the above linked thread. I soaked all the metal components in vinegar and salt for a day, and then scrubbed all the rust off with an old toothbrush. Then I sprayed a light coat of WD-40 on them and wiped them gently with a soft cloth. The bridge, tuners, and screws all came out just fine. The knobs were a wash, since the chrome plating bubbled up and flaked off. I ordered some standard flat-top chrome knobs from ebay.

Then, after almost a month, I chipped and sanded and scraped all the old finish off the fretboard and some off the headstock. I taped the frets and nut and gave it a few coats of clear-coat auto lacquer. I tried to leave the headstock looking rough and to not sand the decal off. Whatever of the old coat that I left on it melded pretty well with the new clear coat. I let that sit for 3-4 days.

I had already assumed that the pots and jack were junked, but I realized that the coil plates were also warped beyond being able to sit properly in the pickup covers. I was pretty bummed about that, since the essential voice of the bass couldn't be restored. I got a 60's style fender licensed set of pots, with cloth wiring, and a set of mid-2000's MIM pups, and wired them all up.

Finally, I put everything together and threw some spare strings on it. Plugged in, and lo and behold, it sounds like a Pbass. The MIM pups are a bit thinner than what I'm used to, since my bass has super hot and growly Rio Grande vintage pickups, but it has the thump for sure. The neck is very comfy and round in my hand, and since I decided not to spray the back, it's also very fast and smooth. All in all, while the bass definitely misses its original electronics, it's still quite a player. The most important thing to me is that the neck didn't twist (not a single buzz spot or raised fret) and the body returned to it's original size and shape. Everything fits perfectly and it's very easy to play. Still super heavy though, so I for sure like mine better, hahaha.

Alright, hope you enjoyed the journey of this old guy, now for what you all came here for-the coolest MF'in mojo I've ever seen.
    Before-
    IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG

Aaaaaaaand...AFTER-
    IMG_2418.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    IMG_2419.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2425.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG

nixdad, wvbass, flatwound62p and 34 others like this.
  2. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    To me, a bass with special tone is the definition of mojo!

If the tone isn’t there then it’s just an old beaten up bass! However, it does look cool!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    SJan3, punchdrunk and billiam5billion like this.
  3. I’m going to save a few bucks and get some better pickups for Christmas I think. The bass feels so good I think it deserves them.

4. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I would do the same! :)

billiam5billion likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    You might want to take a look at Bill Lawrence's Wilde P pickups as a future change.

Glad you were able to save a piece of history. :)

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Felken and billiam5billion like this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You did an amazing job resurrecting that bass. Better pickups for sure! Well done.

8. Now all you need is Corey Parks jazz as a companion piece and you're set .

9. I’m thinking fender custom shop 62 pickups are the way to go here.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. Now THAT is MOJO! I'm thinking Bill Lawrence pups too....

Nice effort, for sure!

andruca and ShirazBop like this.
  11. I'm offended by this. Ooops, sorry wrong thread

comatosedragon and gebass6 like this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Throw some Fralins in it and be done!!!

TrevorOfDoom likes this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    So just by letting it dry completely made the black finish come back???

gebass6 likes this.
  14. Yup. It was mostly yellow for a day or so, but as it dried the clear coat shrank and bonded back to the black finish. I didn't do any work at all to the body itself, just put it in my music room with the ceiling fan running.

Spidey2112, Wisebass and Kukulkan61 like this.
  15. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Aee
    Awesome!!! When I read the link and it said it was a 77 I about started crying. I had a 77 black and maple just like it...

16. I'm pretty sure the solid maple neck is what saved it. No separate fretboard to lift off the neck and hard maple kept it from drying warped.

17. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Really nice work. Something to be proud of.

18. Korladis

Korladis Supporting Member

Very fortunate that the neck didn't warp.

Looks very rock and roll or blues sanded down to black primer.

19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Great story!!! Great bass!!!!:hyper::hyper::hyper: thanx for posting :)

thumpsup.

..... get some great pups and rock that girl :bassist:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Mr_O'B and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    I think Stewmac has pickup kits with plates. You might be able to slide the coils from one to the other somehow.

Oh, you can also get some distressed knobs to match the bridge and tuners.