1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You Can Build It

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by alder, Oct 5, 2017.

1. alder

alder

Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    Bobro, Kubicki Fan, Jazz Ad and 25 others like this.
  2. We'll, since you mentioned tone woods.... just kidding :)

I'm actually really excited to see how this goes. Looks like a good job so far, an interesting shape(love 80's guitars), and a good looking piece of wood.

Keep us posted.
    -Jake

Bobro and pjbassist like this.
  3. I’ve like the Eagle for a long time. That’s a nice looking piece of umm..... cutting board? :laugh::smug:

I’ll be watching this one.

Bobro and pjbassist like this.
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    The Eagle has always been my favorite BC Rich body shape. Dig your approach to this build. Looking forward to seeing it take shape.

Can you go into a little more detail on how to properly lay out the neck pocket?

Bobro likes this.
  5. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Not about tone woods, but I am sure that board will help the bass cut through the mix!

Seriously though, thanks for doing this detailed write up with pics. We can never have enough documented build threads!

6. Looks great. I’d go buy a teak cutting board if they weren’t so expensive.

I agree on the spindle sander. For body outlines, I’ve started to really like using a pattern and a Robosander. A little more effort than the router but no tear out.

themarshall likes this.
  7. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Subbed.

I'm with you on a the chuck key leash.

I share a car restoration workshop with 5 other guys and anything that can go astray does. The first thing I did was tether a tea spoon near the kettle, we have several but at least you can always find one now (even if it does need wire brushing). Next up was the chuck key to the pillar drill and the mains electric drill has the chuck key zip tied to the cable.

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    So far so good. Have you thrown that thing on a scale yet? Curious to see what it weighs in the white...

9. I believe they used Dimarzio pickups in the early days and “dual sound”is, I believe, what their wiring instructions still call series/parallel switching on the humbuckers.

NKBassman likes this.
  10. I've found that oily woods can mess with oil finishes. I used cocobolo for a fretboard and continued it with a laminate on the headstock. I finished the bass with Formby's Tung oil (which is not really tung oil). The tung oil on the headstock never dried, it just turned into a sticky mess. I finally wiped it off, polished it up as best I could then put some wax on it, the finish on the headstock wasn't quite the same luster as the body, but it was close.

11. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    If you don't want a sticky mess with Danish oil, don't let it dry on the surface. The idea is to wipe it on and keep the wood wet with the oil, adding more as it is absorbed into the wood. When it stops absorbing into the wood, wipe off the excess. After letting it dry sufficiently you can apply more. Doing it this way I've never had any stickiness at all.

Edit: forgot to add ... as it is drying, some oil may seep out, make sure to wipe that oil of the surface.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Kubicki Fan and mikewalker like this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    You may have to be crazy but it looks wonderful.....:thumbsup::hyper:

dukeorock and alder like this.
  13. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    awesome

14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    :rolleyes::D

dukeorock likes this.
  15. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Fun fact:

From a tradition of free Masoniters since George A. Washington. George (or honest Abe, as his friends came to call him after an incident with a cherry SG,) used to build his Danelectros from the old growth Masonite trees that were hewn to make way for his namesake city, Lincoln, NE.

:End fun fact.

16. You said that oak is a non-starter for building instruments. Out of curiosity, why is that? The weight, or ?

Or did it do REALLY bad on it's tap test? ;)

Thanks,
    Jake

17. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    Very inspiring. Thank you!

18. I was only kidding about the tap test. Thanks for the good explaination!
    -Jake

19. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    great work. Looks beautiful!

Want to hear some clips, now :)

DrummerwStrings and rwkeating like this.
  20. Love a repurposing build!! :):)

And thumbs-up for thumb rest!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attached Files: