Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You know you're a bass player if...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. - While playing tennis you found yourself slapping the racket between matches.

- You've unconsciously misopronounced the name of a fish with a familiar spelling.

- You've parked your car in a parking lot that didn't have any parking space lines and went, "Ooh, fretless!"

- Your WindowsXP user icon is that bass guitar.

- You cheered or laughed loudly at the cello-bass guitar scene in the movie "School of Rock."

- While at a car dealership and looking at a pickup truck, you ask if it's got a P or a J.

Come on folks, feel free to add.

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    both apply to me! am I in?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hehe tennis is my main sport but ive never really associated it with a bass.. Maybe a guitar though.

4. Yep. When I got my new computer and that bass icon came up, I thought to myself "Even the computer knows I'm a bass player". That meant something to me and you can believe I did leave the icon in place.
    Anyway, I know I'm a bass player because I always hear the bass line of every piece of music I listen to. If the piece doesn't use any bass, I make something up and hum my bass line along with the music. I'm compelled to do this all the time.

5. Same for me...what bass is that anyways?

6. According to an archive search of TB, it's a Tobias.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

LMAO - i like that one! I'm still laughing.

You know you're a bass player if:

-you call all BMWs Bongos.

-you REALLY BELIEVE that there's a resemblence.

-when you get all excited for a moment when you see the new fishing magazine.

-you keep a bass in your bathroom.

-you understand the phrase, "Hey, that Sadowski has a badass and barts in it? Sweeeet."

8. prophecy

prophecy

Dec 26, 2003
    Earth
    hahah bass in bathroom...guilty

9. I'm sorry...but my bass has been in every room in my house,except the bathroom.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Philistine.

11. :rolleyes:

12. ...your wife can't open things like jar lids or bottle caps after you've closed them (toothpaste, shampoo, ketchup, peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc.)

I don't mean to tighten the bejeezus out of the lids, but years of bass playing has had an effect on my grip.

Boy, does she get mad when she can't open something....

"^$#@&!()$^$ bass player!!!! Get over here and open this damn jar!!!!" :mad: :mad:

Oops. :meh: :D

13. Odd...but ok :)

14. Hmmm... you've got a point there. Unless you're married and have gigged for years, my post probably won't make much sense.
    :confused: :)

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...if the only N'Sync member name you know is Lance Bass.

16. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Feel sorry for ya there mate! Taking the rap for an inevitable side effect of bass playing :)!

Andy

17. zilla04

zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Franklin
    Hey........ so.

My Double Bass is sitting on it's side in the upstairs bathroom of where I'm staying. :D

18. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    You know you're a bass player if:

A) Not only did you laugh when Jack Black gave the cello player the bass, but you were pissed that he told her to just play a G, and then gave every instrument a solo except the bass.

B) You start to notice china cabinets and check to see if the china is secured well inside.

C) You know the double bass does not mean two bass players in a band.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Your constantly pulling for the underdog.

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    ...and you know that double bass has nothing to do with big drum sets or their kick drums...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.