1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite bass, ever?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass viper, Jan 13, 2021.

1. bass viper

bass viper

Dec 26, 2020
    Alabama
    I've owned several great basses over the years and still have a few of them. I know it's difficult to single out one bass that you might consider your favorite but just wondering if you had one choice what would it be? For me it's my 1995 German Warwick Fortress One Masterman. It's the easiest playing and best sounding bass of the 30 or so basses that i have owned. WP_20210113_14_29_08_Pro.jpg It would be the last one that i would ever sell.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Steinberger XL2

3. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    My way modded 85 mij boxer for me...and I've owned plenty.. IMG_20201117_143548249.jpg

4. 1964 Hofner Violin Bass I've owned this bass since 13th November 1988. It has been my most cherished possession & has seen many basses, come & go over the last 33 years.
    20200924_124518 (3).jpg

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not really possible to choose just one, but if I had to....

Kania 001.jpg

gebass6, Basic Lee, feschyn and 25 others like this.
  6. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    None of em. They all have some kind of problem that makes it worthwhile to have a different bass that exchanges that problem for a different one.

But I guess if there was a best-compromise bass, maybe the one I'd drag out of a burning house if I could only drag one, it's probably my Tony Franklin. It seems to be the bass that gets the most playing time. It does have major problems, like all P basses do, but I seem to enjoy it the most.

L

IMG_9508.jpg

7. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It would be a toss up between my alder MTD 535 and my Lull M5V.

8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Mike Lull P4

G&L L2000 is a close second

goldLullredL2000.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My oldest, longest owned, & by far my favorite.
    0QN16AyNSOi53klsbI4eBQ_thumb_1169f.jpg
    pq0S9upJQFeYvu9gNDguwg_thumb_116a4.jpg

10. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Bacchus handmade in Japan 417. Love this bass.
    070D5345-59B4-42A9-AD20-D541A5C113AA.jpeg

11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It's not that I love this bass. I owe this bass. I was about to start gigging with a band of ex-pros who, oddly enough, had a set list that was pretty damn challenging for me, the guy who worked at the wine shop. I needed a confidence-builder. I needed a bass that would be really, really easy to play. Eventually, I got my confidence back, and I don't use it as often as I once did. Sold it, in fact! And then, through the miracle of tb, I was able to buy it back. It is still my security blanket. Birdsong cBass 31" scale, from Scott Beckwith's first batch of 20. Painted by John Widman, a luthier who just happened to be our lead guitarist's neighbor. In those days in Asheville NC, if you could throw a rock 50 feet, you'd break a window in a luthier's house.
    birdsong.jpg

12. Anthony Barrett

Anthony Barrett Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Atlantic Highlands NJ
    This is not my actual bass, but the one I miss most was a straight-up 1998 Fender US Standard Precision. Didn’t particularly like the burst, white pick guard was a bit Meh, but this thing played and sounded like a dream right off the hook. Sold it when I left the UK to move to the States in 2004. Missed it ever since despite “better” more expensive basses having since come my way.

1E6E5A7A-BF53-4EF0-AE9E-17E802B5415F.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Alembic Elan or Europa, six-string version. They are very similar; I have two Elan sixes and a four.

14. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I've got a Jay Turser PBass clone that is really ringing my bell these days. Jay-effing-Turser of all things, but it plays on par with the pricier and nice-i-er basses in my stable (EBMM Ray, US Fenders, etc). It's actually become my go-to the last two months. Go fig! 0113211708.jpg

15. Smith357

Smith357

Jul 7, 2018
    OH
    Don't know yet, there are still plenty out there to try. My favorite bass so far is just a simple old Fender P, it's the first one that I don't feel the need to change anything about it.

16. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Guild JSBII (about 1975) dialed in with the most perfect set up ever (Thanks DA). I had wished for just a tad more note definition. Turns out about a 1/16 turn of the bass knob ccw and1/8 cw or so of the treble knob cured my issue (on the amp). My SR500 is second, just not perfect yet.

bassobrutto and bass viper like this.
  17. '63 P-bass that i borrowed for many years...it's still what I measure any bass against.
    p-bass.jpg

18. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    It's had and continues to have some tough competition, but my 1991 Ken Smith BT5 is the best. Sound, feel, just amazing. A true classic.

glCDPlK.jpg

Tnadu, gebass6, kentdproctor and 50 others like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021