1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Favorite Chorus Pedal And Why ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gus Borden, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Ok, perhaps a silly reason for a thread, but I thought it might be interesting!

I have always loved the Rocktron choruses for their great transparency. I currently own an Electro-Harmonix Nano Clone - and although it does have a marked drop in volume/output when engaged, it does have what I've always felt is what a chorus should sound like - from a lush ambience to a nice warble.

Well, it's out there...

2. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I don't use a lot of chorus even though I own several.
    Fulltone ChoralFlange is my favorite but I don't own yet. Very transparent and thick sounding in the store. I am waiting for the new CFV-2 and will probably break down and get one.

MXR Stereo Chorus is great. The little switch that preserves the bass and only choruses the higher frequecies is really cool. My primary chorus at the moment.

Boss CEB-3 is nice but can be a little brittle sounding. I use one occasionally and it is good for a modern sound.

EHX Small Clone. Really nice and thick sounding. Single rate knob and color switch makes it very simple to use, especially live. Old school sounding effect.

3. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I've owned a bunch, and my favorite so far is the TC Electronic SCF - This IMO is a great Chorus. can be very transparent and subtle, to very crisp and shimmery...not a thick chorus...Another thing I really like about this chorus is it is super quiet, and that may be because it's AC powered (which the cable can be a bit of a pain when trying to manage cables on a pedalboard..

Other nice ones worth mentioning:

Fulltone Choralflange
    MXR Stereo Chorus
    Maxon CS-550
    Ibanez CS-9
    Guyatone micro (this one surprised me)
    Analogman clone (thick but cool)

4. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I like dialing in the Boss PS-3 as a chorus pedal...thick and chewy! :)

5. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I have two different chorus pedals right now, and they are both essential to me.

The Stereo Electric Mistress gives me the watery warble that I originally liked in the Small Clone, plus the ability to blend in the flanger as well is just awesome.

But sometimes I want a cold shimmery chorus without a lot of movement. For that, I've tried the Boss CE's and the Clone Theory, but I found that the old DC-2 Dimension C has it. I'm not about to shell out 200 bucks for a DC-2 anytime soon; so in the meantime, I'm using the Behringer clone. And I have to say that as heretical as this may be to say, the Behringer really does sound fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for.

6. The chorus section of my Ibanez UE-405(thick & wet), or a Boss CEB-3(subtle).

Edi: Forgot to say why- CEB because it's subtle enough to leave on a lot, & cheap; the Ibanez because it's the one when I want over-the-top, obvious cheesey 80's tone. They both have their place(s). :)

7. Me too. Mode 4 and Mode 8.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    REALLY interested in the TRex bass chorus. anyone try it?

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'm really interested in the red witch chorus.....but yup.....big moneys.

10. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    My lineup is headed by the Boss CE-1, which I know is somewhat limited, but just
    sounds so warm. In the middle is the Boss BF-2 & MXR Flanger from the 70's
    both of which can do chorus with excellent results. And lastly, for the cold 80's
    sound: Ibanez DCF-10 Digital chorus/flanger. This blue beast has a high band mode
    that sounds really good on bass.

11. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I love a good chorus. Currently I use a EBS Unichorus with the EBS Dynaverb. But my very favorite is the TC Electronics. The only problem with that really is 2 things. 1 a slight turn on the knob will cause a completely different chorus effect. 2 You loose a little low end. But nothing so far that I tried sounds so warm and sweet on a bass. The EBS is a little hard sounding and not as smooth but with the verb it has a good effect. Love to get a hold of an old chorus Ibanez C-3. Which to me is the ultimate bass chorus pedal but very hard to get and they don't make it anymore.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I went through a bunch before finding, "the one", a Maxon CS9Pro. It's got more control than most, and is absolutely silent. Prior units included, Ehx Clone Theory, (too noisey), Stereo Electric Mistress, (great sound, but I had 2 of them break down), H2O Liquid Chorus, (too big, and the delay sucked), DanElectro Cool Cat 18 volt, (nice, but range was limited), Boss Bass Chorus, and Chorus Ensemble, (both ok, but nothing more), and there were a couple more, same problems, either too much noise, (common with chourus), or not enough range, or not enough tweakability. The Maxon is just about perfect, though to be honest, it's the least used effect on my board.

13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Modtone Aqua Chorus. Sounds amazing. Nice and small. Low price. Enough said!

14. Jeff in TX

Jeff in TX Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Lone Star State
    Carl Martin Bass Chorus. Beautiful on fretless. Two channels, very quiet, well made.

15. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I dont use chorus much but I dig the Boss CE-5. Since it's a "multichorus" it is thick as heck, and it has both lo and hi filters (whereas their "bass chorus" only has a low filter!)

16. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ

I got the Maxon CS9 pro .....I love it....I let my guitar player borrow it, he got one, and now he is done buying chorus pedals as well.

17. my dod fx62b has always served me well, it's a nice little red box that sounds pretty damn fine in stereo when i've tried it

the problem is frequences, no matter what the setting i get perfect bass response.....but it seems to boost the treble frequences that i try to eq out :(

so i've been really interested in the dimension chorus, but they are so damn rare and the best clone is so damn expensive

18. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Clone Theory - my only complaint is the noise, and since I'm not recording with it, I'm not bothered by it.

19. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Poly, Poly, she's our girl!

EHX Polychorus is my all time fave.

Honorable mention:
    Analogman Mini Chorus
    Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus

20. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i know a proper clone isn't possible, but I'd LOVE to see some approximation of the polychorus in an XO package.

I'd love to see it, but I probably still wouldn't get one because I can't stand the noise factor in heavy analog choruses!