Your favorite "over the top effects"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Now any of you on here that know me, know I have a lot of effects... But I play clean most of the time, but when I use effects I use a lot - I like to go way over the top... Here is my bad medicine:

dod FX-25 (set to not open) + boss oc-2 + Ibanez SB7 (synth 2) + boss bass chorus + EHX Holy Grail = phat nasty synth...

Whats your pedal or combo for over the top sounds?..

ps. if I had the cash, there would be some Zvex, korg G5, EHX, ect up there but I an poor...
  2. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    no one?..

Freaky fender?..
    Mad Sub?..

3. Although I never use it live, when we're screwing around I use a heavy metal distortion pedal and a Dunlop crybaby, ala Burton. Just for fun though, doesn't really fit with the music (yet) - everyone thinks its cool sounding though, heh.
  4. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I like getting some nasty low end feedback going with my distortion, setting the regeneration really high on my DL4 delay, and then controlling the mess with the DL4's expression pedal. Sounds like a tornado. Sweet.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Big Muff into Boss BF-2 Flanger into a Morley Wah. Do some wicked stuff with that :p
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't do anything quite as over the top as you tecx, but just because the music I generally play in my main band doesn't require much in the way of wild effects.

Combos I do use:
    similarly to tplyons, any heavy distortion / overdrive into wah (in my case a boss vwah pedal). Gives a great 'quacking' sound.

Extreme fuzz into envelope filters - either the fx25, bass iq or mxr auto wah. Also get some interesting sounds with fuzz into the Korg G5, controlling via expression pedal.

Overdrive + chorus - great for a peter hook sound

sorry, none of them are that wild. :oops:
    hintz likes this.
  7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Well, here's a favorite...

EBS BassIQ > Akai Unibass (w/distortion and 5th) > Digitech XBW set for octave divide > Boss VF-1 for additional distortion and chorusing.

Sometimes I'll substitute an Ibanez SB-7 (set for distorted wah) after the Unibass, instead of the BassIQ.

Believe it or not, this is really helpful in filling out the sound of a small group without being too over-powering. Really, the Unibass is the key here.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ok, ok... here we go:

Sick sick sick distortion:

ZVex Machine into Lovetone Ring Modulator into Basstriaxis (set to heavy distortion). Prepare to be disemboweled.

Synthy madness:

EH Microsynth into RMC3 wah into ZVex Wooly Mammoth into Lovetone ? Flanger (with Boss delay in the loop of that) into Zvex Ooh-wah. This one works especially well if you have a whammy bar on your bass (I do).

The what the hell is going in sound:

Turn 'em all on. All 20.
  9. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    IBY PD-7
    DOD FX25B
    Korg AX1-B With flanger and delay on...
  10. well, my favorite combination is a delay and medium speed phaser, (i set this up on my processor, so they are both ART) the original sound is unaffected, but the delayed sound goes through the phaser so it sounds really cool. I also take a pitchshifter, either a 5th or octave up, wah and distort the whole thing! sounds cool as heck
  11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    hey dude, can we get a sample of the distortion?.. Sounds fun...
    in other news I am not doinf that well, go check out my new tread... BAD BAD day...

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

<B>I build my own preamps and fuzzes. Favorite weirdness: Travis Bean fretless,played with brass slide, two fuzzes paralleled, Rocktron Intellifex set on cascading, descending pitch shift, Lexicon Vortex morphed with pedal on detuned chorus, with vocals patched simultaneously through the EFX mixer (Mackie 1202VLZ).</b>
  13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Over the top pedal = boss syb3

Really over the top = synth bass, gr77b or peavey midibass

I also play mostly clean, but I bring a big synth (pedalboard or rack) to just about every gig because I love them so.
  14. the moogerfooger lowpass filter can do some interesting things. setting the resonance too high creates its own tone which you can alter the pitch... run this through delay for some real whackiness.
    akai unibass is always odd especially when used with another distortion and delay.
    distortion and slow wah sweeps are always fun.

i have been doing a lot of looping and such and one of the most fun things to do is use lots of distortion and maybe some other effects and loop your voice through the pickups... can be quite creepy and confusing to the audience.

certain delays can feedback on themselves which can be used for some interesting sounds.

powerdrills, remote controls, string scraping, and violin bows are also great.

my most used effect that most people find odd (for some reason) is using chorus with delay and fading in and out chords with the volume knob.
  15. Digitech bass whammy into Zvex WOOLY MAMMOTH <hand painted>
  16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I had some pretty over the top combos back in 2003, but that was a long time ago . . .
  17. WHATtheBANANA68

Jan 13, 2016
    I like to play around with my Boss ODB-3 pedal, Boss CDB-3 pedal, and Boss RC-3 pedal (I like to keep everything in the same family if at all possible), and can get some mild to crazy effects using them. The effects are just fun to play with, but I'm always looking for new pedals to change the sound and tone of my bass to sound like other instruments for a decent price.
  18. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Wow this is an old thread. Look at me back in 2003 lugging either the GR77B or the Midibass to almost every gig! Soon after I built a huge pedal board a with an octaver and Akai Deep Impact for extreme tones. I eventually moved on to the VBass in maybe 2006 and then finally agreed that I don't play in bands that need over the top bass sounds. I simplified to only 2 or 3 basic pedals (eq, chorus, distortion) for many years. Now I'm back to a mid size pedalboard w/ a distortion, envelope filter, and octaver for over the top. I still have almost all of that old bass synth gear and it worked great when I put it away. Someday I'll dust them off and vibrate some air.
  19. Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If high-gained distortion pedals count, I like the digitech hardwire tl-2 metal distortion. I bought this pedal as my high-gained distortion pedal and it sounds totally awesome. at a certain setting(along with a chorus effect), I was able to get a peter steele from type o negative type of sound. also this pedal has a toggle switch for tight and loose mode. personally, I find the loose mode to be useful on bass. it gives my bass a thicker distortion sound with warm lows. also this pedal is a good affordable alternative to the empress heavy.
    hintz likes this.
  20. hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    The weirdest I've owned is the DOD Buzz Box which is their take on the MXR Blue Box, I made a nice profit on it too;)