1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your thoughts on fake books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by helterschecter, Jun 7, 2011.

1. helterschecter

helterschecter

May 2, 2011
    I run across a music fake book and I was wondering your opinions on using them to learn songs

2. manbearpig97

manbearpig97

Mar 28, 2010
    What does that even mean?

3. catyak

catyak

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    The fake book will show you the chord progressions. It won't show you the bass lines. You'll need to know how to build a line for them to be useful.

4. helterschecter

helterschecter

May 2, 2011
    Their called fakebooks. The are music books that instead of showing you note for note how a song goes it just shows you where the cord changes are..so basically you would have to come up with your own bass line or try to duplicate it by listening to the track of the song your learning

5. helterschecter

helterschecter

May 2, 2011
    Iv learn a few scales so I may be able to atleast use the correct notes in the scale but I was wondering if anyone uses them and their thoughts on them

6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    i play ALOT of jazz, and esp. in the "gig" side of things (dinner jazz, standards etc) using fakebooks is pretty standard.

I like to use them with my students to learn melodies, and for sight reading; really great for practicing chord changes, walking them, soloing, chording, you name it.

do you have a jazz fake book or a rocknroll or r&b or what?

7. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    They are great "road maps" for tons of standard songs. There are also books called real books that have not only chord charts but the melody written out as well. So if you have a smart horn or keyboard player that reads well, you can play allot of cool old standards.

8. helterschecter

helterschecter

May 2, 2011
    I don't have any fake books atm .but the book I was considering buying is a country song book with if I remember right 750 songs in it for 50bucks..and it has a lot of songs it it that I like

9. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    i have Ireal B for my iphone... its amazing... real book for iphone that plays along too!!! amazing tool

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Fake books and real books quite often teach you how to learn songs with the wrong chords. Sometimes even the right chords.

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I could see where this would be handy for a near impromptu gig (or worship music where people aren't good at sight-reading), but for sitting down and learning a song totally? Guitar Pro or even tablature is such a great tool, but if you are wanting to muscle up your ear training, I guess these fake books would help without telling too much.

12. Fake books are a standard for gigs that I do. It basically means a bunch of players who know how to play can turn up and jam without a rehearsal and get paid to do it. Fake books and real books are the same thing. Most common in jazz, and they also come transposed so the Bb and Eb instruments can play along. They usually have melody and chords, but the iRealBook only has chords for copyright reasons.

13. I lol'd, as at first pass it looks like it read "fake boobs."

14. I use my fake book all the time. I play a lot of jazz gigs, like eddododo, and I ALWAYS take my book. It's great for having a road map of standards the group is playing, and if someone requests a tune, odds are it's in the book. They're also great for practicing melodies, changes, and writing bass lines.

Long story short, get one. They're well worth the $40.

15. The original origin of the term is from being able to "fake" your way through a song you've never rehearsed with the band, and sound like you know it and have played it with these guys a buncha times.

As far as using 'em, I've done a heap of faux Jazz gigs with guys where maybe only 1 or 2 were actually what I'd call Jazz musicians, with me playing out of the real book - the best known Jazz fake book, AFAIK; and, yes, some of the changes are questionable but if everyone does the same wrong change, it's suddenly right.

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_book

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Where the heck can you even get those?! I've been looking for that exact sort of thing to practice my reading and improvising.

17. The Real Book series are out there on the 'net as pdf's. It may take a bit of hunting.

18. Reading wise they are slash charts. The only dots are melody in treble clef.

Hal Leonard does a ton of them.

19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    +1

20. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Keep in mind, a lot of chord progressions have substitutions written in from the album they may have been transcribed from. Not necessarily all the "original" changes... Also, a lot of them have standards in different key's, or key's for a vocalist, rather than key's playing with a horn section...

They are a VERY good reference... but you need to research some of the tunes too and know what key someone is going to want to play in...

Is "Pocket Changes" still around? That was my bible when playing jazz gigs... Small book, nothing but changes...

The great thing I hear about the iphone / ipad app is the ability to transpose on the fly.