Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zappa bassist, mid-70s?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funkcicle, Jan 11, 2004.

1. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I was watching an rerun of Saturday Night Live this morning on which Frank Zappa was the musical guest. One of the numbers (in which Jim Belushi played a samurai saxman) featured some very prominent bass stuff. The bassist was a young guy, lots of hair, and was playing a fretless Fender P-Bass. He played the hell out of it, too! I'm pretty ure the tune was "Lagoon". Episode originally aired in 1976, Candace Bergen was the host.

So, anybody know who this bassist was? Can you tell me anything about him? tia

Anthony:D

2. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Possibly Patrick O'hearn? Before he became a new age musician.

Indigo is one of my favorite cd's real spooky.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out O'Hearn(w/ his fretless P-bass) AND Terry Bozzio on the Baby Snakes DVD.

Damn, I just picked up SNL's 25 Years Of Music set...5 DVDs & the powers-to-be didn't include this FZ bit?!
    ...the Spice Girls & Sinead made the cut & Zappa didn't?!

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and check out O'Hearn during his Missing Persons' stint(e.g. "Give" from Rhyme & Reason).

6. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    You probably meant Jim's older brother, John Belushi, doing the samurai saxman bit, right? :bassist:

7. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Yep, my mistake! I guess I just gave away my vintage, eh? (although through most of my youth I DID model my looks after a young Dan Aykroyd!)

Thank for all your help, you guys just gave me something to fill my time with for the next few weeks!

Anthony

8. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA