1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zoom H2 Handy 2 Track Recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by James Hart, Aug 26, 2007.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  2. I use the H4 (which I had preordered) which is fantastic, so no doubt this is pretty awesome also.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like my H4 a lot.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    good to know!

5. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Id really prefer the H4. I dont like having my mics fixed to a position. The h4 allows you to use its xy mics, or plug in 2 of your own WITH phantom power. I think, and correct me if im wrong, but you can use all 4 mics at once for 4 track recording. Ive heard people love the h4 so i cant image the new one would suck, i just like to be able to adjust things.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    50% more for a lot of features that'd be wasted on a device I own... the H4 has never done more than peek a little interest.

I record live stuff with a single mic usually... just reference material. The H2 with it's 4 mic 360 field is perfect for my purpose.

I'm glad the owners of H4s are digging theirs! Makes me feel good about snagging an H2.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The H2 looks really good. It looks to cover about 90% of what most people need. And you can throw it in the case to have it always handy to record live. I've used that Mid/Side technique that it also does and it works very well. No surprises or overblasting that you don't already hear in the room.

8. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone else feel like this is a throwback to quadraphonic sound? Kinda neat, i didnt see the picture until after I had posted. It makes alot more sense to get something that has what you need than something that does more but youll never use the "more". I get trapped into buying things that have features that ill use later and never do. Good will power James. Ive not ever even seen a mic this cheap that will do what this thing is touting let alone a whole recorder. From my experience with the h4 this thing will rock.

9. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Is this thing a 2 channel PC interface as well? And another question would be whether you can use this for vocals and/or how the quality would be if you are using it for multi-track purposes?

10. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    My H4 is awesome! Works great recording live band practice direct to MP3, and even better at home from the amp D.I. out using an XLR splitter into 2 XLR cables, into the H4 for noiseless MP3 recording!

I haven't tried the 4 track options yet though.

11. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    So you find it relatively easy to do multi-track recordings with this (not live, but multi-track)? I'm favouring a PC setup, so it would be nice if I can use this as an interface for Audacity as well, though I think I may just end up going with an Alesis USB Mixer instead.

12. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I just got my h2 today from sam ash. I will record some music tomorrow, but recording my kids today it sounded fantastic. The h4 has some issues from what I've read and the h2 does exactly what I need. I like the small size as well, and the different mic positions on this will come in very handy. For those wondering abotu the 4 track on the h4, it does not record 4 simultaneous tracks- 2 at a time only. I know a few people who have the h4 and they are satisfied, but I am liking the h2 so far.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    SWEET! I'd love to hear a sample of un touched .wav coming from the H2

14. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Soooo... this would be cool enough to record rehearsal and a gig? That might be a good deal then, eh ?

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yes and I think so.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What the heck, I read H2 the manual at Zoom and looks really good. Compression, limiter, auto start/stop, and a tuner and metronome. I need a new tuner metro anyhow, it looks too good to pass up.

Ordered it at audiomidi.com which has 10% off right now
    $179

17. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I would love it if someone could post a clip of what this thing can do. I'm sooooo close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

18. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm gonna break down and buy one of these...I just KNOW! :hyper:

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Good! you can post clips of the next jam you post pictures of :)

20. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Ha ha!
    I see it comes with a 512 card but will accept a 4G card. How much time in 128MP3 format would the 512 record? What would I need to track 3 hours?