1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1/2 RACK EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BenHack, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hey Guys

I'm looking for a 1/2 rack space EQ unit for my rig. I'm currently running an Avalon U5 into a QSC power amp and 2 Acme B2's and love the tone. There are just times I want to adjust for the room while still sending the U5 signal to the desk. I'm playing a Sadowsky UV5 Metro and at times want a little more mids to play with in my heavier bands.

Currently the tone is great for most gigs but in my heavy HipHop type thing I sometimes get lost on stage. Anyway I'm wanting to keep the 3U rack case that I have so only have room for a 1/2 rack EQ. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ben

2. This isn't 1/2, but 1/3rd (dare say with the side parts still on it'll be inbetween 1/2 and 1/3rd ), also pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

Presonus EQ 3B.

3. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    I'm in search of such an item myself to fill the gap TD100>TLA50> ?? >power amp. It sounds great right now, but with room problems I need something in there that is quick to adjust. We often have a very short time to set up. I don't want anything that isn't transparent as I love what I'me getting with a passive bass and the summit gear.

My short list has the Presonus, SPECK ASC, Art Parametric Tube eq (I think). Any others? Anything not currently made - I think there is a discontinued Fishman para eq. ? I can't justify big $$ (>$200) for a 'sometimes' item. Parametric is nice, a hpf would be nice, but transparent eq is the target.
    RED

4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

+1 for the art tube eq...not completely transparent but can be very clean. no wall wart is a big plus for me. later, ron

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are several in the big-dollar category: Summit, Great River, Neve, etc. The only inexpensive one not mentioned yet, that I can think of ATM, is one of the old Boss 1/2 rack units from the '80s.

I haven't used the Presonus, but it seems to be the top "bang per buck" contender in current production. I have used the Speck and the ART tube para, and they are both excellent. The Speck is clean and dry, the ART is fat and juicy. The Speck is built ruggedly, the ART is not so rugged.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You know what might suit your particular case best is not a 1/2 rack unit but the new Empress Para EQ pedal.
    http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1380&CategoryID=

7. The EQ-3B is an excellent sounding small 3-band para-EQ. I use my two ALL the time for various applications.

Jay

8. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    If the Summit eq is more than you want to budget, I'd try a second-hand Rane parametric eq, I'm pretty happy with mine. I use mine with a Summit TD100 and TLA50, is a powerful, musical front-end. But the Rane eq is a full rack-space...

9. Thanks guys

This gives me a few choices to go check out. I'll see what I can get my hands on over here in Australia and give em a go. Cheers

Ben

10. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    Bongo, the Empress looks terrific. Many features like the much pricier eqs.