1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

112 thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretlessboy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. A quick comment to clarify my 'super 12' recommendations made at the beginning of the thread.

Once you get two 'traditional' high quality production 12's in a rig (GK, Mesa, Aguilar, Genz, whatever), most players will be good to go for all but the loudest gigs.

Where the relatively new category of ''super 12's'' differentiates itself is the ability of a SINGLE 112 to cover a relatively large/loud gig as a stand-alone, given the powerful drivers used in these cabs. Of course, those powerful drivers that put out so much low end come at a price.... a somewhat attenuated, or at least 'upleasant' top end. So, you see most of what I call ''super 12's'' having either a mid driver or a large horn crossed over quite low to allow for the use of those powerful 'low end' voiced drivers.

A single 'super 12' will almost do the job of two 'normal' 12's, and will keep up with the best 210's on the market, and surpass most of them. They won't replace a 410 of course, but will allow the player who needs maximum wump per pound in a small box to cover most gigs with a shockingly small (if expensive:D) rig. If you really want to spend some cash, the new Composite Compact Thunderchild 115 made by Duke and TBer Mike Arnopol is probably the smallest, lightest, most powerful small cab ever made (a full blown 15 cab that is lighter than an old Epifani 112UL!), and its 4ohm impedance and relatively high efficiency make it just scream with the typical 500 or so watt micro of your choice.

If you are comfortable carting two 112 cabs, there are many, many options that will make most players happy.

IMO and a lifetime of IME:)

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hey Gareth,

Do you have any insight about pricing and availability?

3. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    KJung, you nailed it just right! single 112 DB series does the job excellent,handling loud band and loud gig and like you said,surpasses most top class two teners on the market.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm a bit late to the party, so much of this will be redundant, but the 1x12's that I would suggest you check out include the following (in alphabetical order):

Acme Full Range or Flatwound
    AudioKinesis TC112 (or the "acoustic friendly" version)
    Baer ML-112
    Bergantino HD112 (or the very similar HT112ER)
    fEARful 12/6 (or 12//6cube, with or without a tweet)
    GK Neo112-II

Lots of other great options, but those are the ones which stand out to my ears and which I think would do a good job of hitting your tone goals.

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    One thing to add to this is that while I agree that something like the TC112 will cover a typical 210 gig no problem (did the experiment with my Berg AE210), it can fall short of a pair of good 12s in the quantity of sound, though the quality may be more pleasing, depending on the gig. I can say that the pair of Tecamp XS112s has much more punch than a single TC112 - it'll tear paint off the walls using the same head. The TC112 will be more relaxed and open though.

Also, carting 112 cabs is heavily dependent on the cab size/design. I love the sound of an Aguilar DB112, but frankly it is one of the worst cabs to carry/move. Just too heavy and awkward. And a pair...forget it. The SL112 is a bunch lighter, but still uses a short/deep form factor that isn't my first choice. At 22lbs and under 14" deep, the XS112 is really easy to carry, and a pair is no problem. But it has a different sound than the TC112. I actually prefer the TC112 playing by myself or in a sparse mix, but find the Tecamp to be better in a dense mix but ymmv.

6. +1 The TecAmp 112's are VERY tight down low, and VERY midrange present, making them sound very loud, if not particularly low. Always a trade-off in real low end versus absolute perceived volume, which is almost always driven by midrange.

If volume per watt is key, then cabs with less low end extension will always win, but as you say, you will need two of them for sure to really get decent low end under a band at anything more than moderate volume. Always trade-offs!

7. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Ditto. Probably my fav cabs ever. I'll take a pair of those all day over one monitor/full range "super 12s". YMMV.

8. They are among the largest and heaviest 112's out there. If you don't mind carrying two, they are KILLER. I had two of the 'Green Monster' versions with my old Thunderfunk or LMII, and they sounded great. One was not enough for anything I really did, and two were more cumbersome than a neo 410 or 212, so ended up dumping them.

Strange form factor, with handle and feet location, unusually deep format (I think over 18"), combined with the rear port design that requires 5" or so of additional distance from the rear wall. That ended up not working very well on small stages.

Great sounding cabs, and as much as I always disliked the GS112's, I find the DB112's being fantastic for those looking for a bit of 'modern meets old school' punch, warmth, etc.

9. stringmaster54

stringmaster54

Jul 23, 2012
    When I audtioned the DB112 (with a Tonehammer500), I thought it sounded great--more like an old-school 15" cab vs a 12". Concerned about the shortcomings mentioned. Any other options that would cop that sound--talking vintage Blues/Swing, P Bass, Flatwounds. PS--didn't care for the lightweight Aguilar 12" for the sound I was after--the DB's were much fuller/fatter/warmer.

10. The Berg HD210 would probably get you there pretty nicely.

However, the DB112 is pretty killer. As long as that deep physical profile doesn't bother you, they are great.

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Well as i have found...nothing is perfect and there is always a trade off. Size...weight ir tone. I guess you just have to decide what you are willing to trade. The Bergie cabs are real nice as are aggies. There are a lot of nice cabs but it has to work for you. I appreciate all the input. Any one have video of the Bergie or Aggie

12. Glad to hear you are feeling better, Dennis!

Gale

EA.jpg

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Thank you. It is a long road but a good ending

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I have a great pair of 210 cabs but they are overkill in a lot of instances. Tons of low end. But can be too much. I need thick and warm.

15. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I'll be trying my Hartke HX112 with a Markbass TA503 head this sunday.
    Let's see if the 8ohms/4ohms switching has some real benefit or if I am putting too many watts into the box anyway.....
    It sounds more low end heavy than the SL112 anyway, so I probably won't need to boost lows on the amp keeping a bit more headroom.

16. Bulky Bass

Bulky Bass

Jan 25, 2008
    Bay Area, Ca.
    I've always loved the size of 12" cabs but could never find the right tone with them, even trying the boutique Bergantinos and Epifanis. I got the newer Genz Benz NEOX 112 and I absolutely love it! It is very warm sounding to my ears and with a P-Bass can even sound like a 15" without any mud.

17. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I'd like to give another nod to the Aguilar GS112. Actually, I'll give it 2 nods since I own 2. I love them.

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    They sound great

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I did a similar experiment with the Baer ML112 and the Berg AE210. The ML112 was actually a little louder with a touch more extended low end. However, even though they weigh about the same, the AE210 is a smaller box and very easy to transport. I big thumbs up for the new "super 12's".