1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

115 X 410 combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by countrybassman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. I have a Reeves 225 head running thru a Berg NV115 cab and want to get an additional cab to pair with the NV115 as it isn't loud enough alone trying to keep up with my two loud guitar players. I am thinking of a 410 cab (an Orange OBC 410 to be exact since it is an 8 ohm cab)to pair up with the 15, but reading some TB posts it seems to be a bad idea. Before I shell out $1,000 for this cab, I thought I would ask the 410-115 comb question. I like the Berg 115 but it gets lost with my gigs, mostly no FOH support. I also like the tight sound of 410 cabs. Please tell me my best way to go ....thanks:

2. I have a pole 10 feet long and it is still not long enough to touch this.

3. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Dec 8, 2009
    Don't.......mix ........cabs.......

4. The only cab I would pair with a NV115 is a second NV115.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The 115 won't help your 410. If the 410 isn't enough, then get a 2nd one, or a bigger cab.
    Read the many other threads on this topic.

6. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    You need a fearful, a tort pickguard, and a $1000 power cable to make the whole unit run. That's the only way to make sure to blow up your cab by underpowering it.

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Someone in TB classifieds is selling a pair of NV115's. 3 - 115's ...now THAT would fix your guitar problem ;).

8. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Because people decide to be complete jerks (which they will) you should do a quick search for "mixing cabs" or "mixing drivers"

Grab a beer and do some reading bro, save yourself the harassment :D

9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    No.
    He has the 115 and wants to add the 410.

Ok countrybassman,
    For every person here who tells you not to mix cabs, there is another that does it, has done it for years, and loves it.
    After spying on this overall topic for sometime, I've extrapolated this: try it, keep an eye on wattage and ohms. Make sure the fifteen lives on top of the 410 so you can hear if it is in distress.
    Have fun, tell us how it works out.

10. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Also true. 3x15s....make sure to clench your butt on those low notes :eek:

11. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Also, +1 to this ^

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    So get another 115 or sell the 115 and get an 810.

13. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Those orange cabs are crazy expensive, if you are gonna spend a grand on a 410 why not just get an ampeg 810? Hell I've seen used heritage 810s go for 900-1000$

14. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I feel that after cracking wise I need to offer some proper advice. You have a boutique level tube head which is somewhat wasted if not paired with a boutique level cab.

Drop some serous dollars on a serious cab, don't move into mixed cab territory with such a nice tube amp. Science suggests it's a bad idea because of phasing and power distribution issues. If you need to move air you need a single cab solutions: 412, 610 or 810.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There's actually plenty of info on this topic, all over the amps forum, as well as in the faq's. Bottom line, don't waste your money on this pairing. If it were me, I'd snag a 2nd Berg 115, but if you want really loud, dump the cab you have and get one big cab, 610, 810, or 412. And btw, 15's are not deeper, and 10's are not punchier. In fact, you can make no generalizations based on driver size.

16. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Totally agree.
    Companies like Mesa have been mixing 15's and 10's in the same cabinet for years (but what do they know?).
    When I play country gigs I use an Avatar B156 with an Avatar B210 on top and I like the sound. Works out just fine for me.
    Don't let the "don't mix cabs" guys tell you what to do.
    If you like 15's with 10's go for it. Make your choices with your ears not with some arcane mathematical sine wave formula.
    There are no RULES. Do what works for YOU. Find YOUR sound. Or go ahead and join the herd and sound like someone else tells you that you should sound. It's up to you.

17. 4stringSlaughtr

4stringSlaughtr

Feb 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Hartke has had pictures in their catalog of a hydrive115 on top of a hydrive 410 I know that's what victor Wooten was using (not sure if he still is or not) and well it's what I use...I like the sound a lot personally

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There's a decided difference in matching a 210 with a 115 than a 410 with a 115. You're much less likely to destroy your 15 with a 210 than you are with a 410. Tone wise either one is a gamble. Because 4x10's are usually more efficient and LOUDER, and they can take more power than a 115, you set yourself up to overpower your 15, and not be able to hear it well, especially when people put the 15 on the bottom of their stack.

If the OP is dead set on doing this, put your 15 at the top of the rig. Otherwise either get another matching Berg, or sell it off and get two matching 410's.

19. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I'm just going to take something i learned in school and apply it to this.

DUCK AND COVER!!!!!!!

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Stacking a 15 and a 410 could very easily be called "joining the herd and doing what the marketing departments tell you to do."

I completely agree with finding your own sound and using your ears. But if you're not able to try before buying (which many are not) or you don't have a return policy so you can see how the cab sounds off-axis and out in the room, I find the science to be a helpful guide.