1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

12 inch speakers, shed some light??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YDN, Oct 24, 2013.

1. YDN

YDN

Sep 9, 2011
    Hey everyone!

i play a 2010 american p bass and i'm looking onto a smaller rig, (my 4x10 is too much to cart around) and i really like 2x12 inch cabinet sounds. can anyone shed some light into them in caparison to a 10 inch speaker cabinet and list some good makes and models>

cheers dudes.

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Every 2x12 cab is going to sound different. Some great 2x12 cabs I know of are:
    Genz Benz Neox
    Mesa Powerhouse
    Markbass Club 600F32
    Aguilar DB or GS
    Ampeg SVT-212AV
    Glasstone Lil' G (a little different from the rest of these, check it out)

Really, the only way you're gonna find out which cab you prefer is to go to a few shops and try em out. Happy hunting!

3. Can't forget the G-K NEO 212, or the recent Bergantino CN212

4. Agree with the Genz, GK, or either Aguilar model.

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I also agree with the Genz Benz suggestion. it helps that it is super light. I spent a while playing a Shuttle 6.2 through a single 12" and an Ampeg 15" and I was pretty happy with it. Doesn't even compare to a 4x10 though. But I get your point.

The problem with testing cabs is that unless you are playing at volume with a drummer, it's hard to get a real sense of a cab.

6. The only think the size of a speaker tells you, is the size of the speaker. It has no bearing to the sound it will reproduce.

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    +1.
    If you like the tone of your 410 maybe try the 210 version of your cab - if one is available.

8. Those would be my two 'budget but still very good' and 'top of the line' choices, in that order.

Also, if the OP can find one, retailers are blowing out the Genz NeoX212(II), which is kind of the 'in-between' choice price/performance wise.

The CN would make most '410 guys' quite happy, especially those using more classic instruments. It is punchy with nice 'top of the driver' upper mid presence. It is extremely lightweight, and quite expensive.

9. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    In my younger days I preferred 10" speakers mostly for reasons that I know to be non-sense today. Today I prefer cabs with few larger speakers mostly because there are fewer points of failure and because having fewer magnets reduces weight. I went with a 212 because a 215 was simply too large for my needs.

I have a Ashdown VS-212. It's far from the most popular cab on TB, but if you like a deep, "vintage" tone it's worth concidering. Plus the ox-blood grill looks super cool, not that any of us would admit that matters a little bit.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't be ridiculous. It also tells you how big your cabinet will be. :D

11. Well it tells you about how big the hole will need to be for mounting the driver. You can have a small sealed direct radiator cab, or a huge folded horn cab. Either could use a driver of the same size.

12. I've got a 410 Avatar NEO and two 212 GK NEOs. One of the 212's produces about as much volume as the 410. The 212 is a great low weight alternative to a 410. I can't say I prefer one sound (410 vs 212) over the other. I like them both. But if I could only have one cab I'd probably take a 212 over a 410 because of the reduced weight. I also used to have an Avatar 212 NEO and liked that too.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This ^^

They are roughly 12" in diameter and will make some amount of sound.

That said, aside from custom type builds, check out a Genz NeoX or NX2 for a 212 that'll have the output of your 410.

14. JMarsh

JMarsh Supporting Member

May 22, 2007
    Seattle
    I have to agree with this. One or two GK NEO 212 cabs is adequate for a broad range of sounds / styles / venues, and ridiculously portable.

15. Yeah maybe with headphones/IEM. But not so, in every application - for example, if that was always totally true loud bass subs at concerts would be the size of a dime. Just saying. ;)

16. Sorry Joe, but you are wrong.

You could make subs using very small drivers. They would just need to use a lot of them to get loud enough. That means you have a lot of extra weight, and cost.

So its not a "sound" thing, its economics.

17. EDIT: And back to reality, lol.

18. Phill Jones uses small drivers in cabs that have great low end.

19. Yeah he makes nice bass amps. Anyway, bass driver size plays a very big part when it comes to volume.