Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

16th Note Finger Funkers?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ebozzz, Feb 12, 2004.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Alright, I know that Rocco will be mentioned as one of, if not the best, 16th note funker in history and rightfully so. Who are the other contenders? Run 'em down! :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jaco, Gary Willis, Jeff Berlin,Victior Bailey, Chuck Rainey.....loads more when I can think of them! ;)

3. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Paul Jackson!

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Jimmy "FLIM" Johnson! One of the best. Tom Kennedy (Dave Weckl Band) is another 16th. note playing monster! :bassist:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dominique DiPiazza, Gary Willis, Matt Garrison,... there are a lot of cats who can play staccato 16ths at blazing tempi.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    One of our brothers recently re-introduced me to "Pops" Popwell from The Crusaders. Would I be wrong to consider him for this category?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm doubtful - similarly with Paul Jackson - both very funky players - but I'm not sure they're known for fast 16th note grooves - I suppose you can have very slow funk where the bar is subdivided to get the funk "feel" - but when I saw the title of this thread I was thinking of stuff ike Jaco's "Come on Come on Over"...?

8. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    I'm doubtful about your being familiar with Paul Jacksons work. If you listen to Herbie Hancocks "Thrust" I am pretty sure you will agree that he has a very pronounced 16th note feel when playing uptempo numbers.
    With all respect. :meh:

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Bunny Brunell

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    add:

Oteil Burbridge
    John Patitucci
    Jamerson, DUH!
    Andrew Gouche
    Pete Perez
    Richard Bona

11. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    And not forgetting Incognitos Randy Hope Taylor

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    If Randy makes it in so should "Pops". I hear a lot of The Crusaders influence in Incognito's music.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I dig Incognito.

14. I would say that James Jamerson is was definitely not a 16th funk player. The guy only used one finger, and while he could play impressively fast, he would have never been able to play a consistant string of 16th notes like Rocco, Jaco, Jeff Berlin, or any of the other guys people have mentioned. More importantly, even if he could, it wasn't his style of playing.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    to each his own

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes. He pops.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    IMO Jamerson may have been the first:D

No, he didn't play in a constant unwavering 16th note style but he did play 16ths and he was indeed funky.

Yes, he used one finger... doesn't mean he couldn't or didn't play 16ths. He did, very well.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    When I think of the signature Crusaders pieces Pops played on, it's mainly slapping. OTOH Wilton Felder was a finger funk player, both with the early Crusaders and other artists like the Jackson 5.

19. Man, how could you all forget Mark Hoppus? ;)

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's true Brad but on Images & Those Southern Nights he does a little of both. A good example IMO is Spiral.