1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2000w+ power amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erik281, Mar 23, 2009.

1. erik281

erik281

Oct 27, 2008
    TX
    searching for the words power amp doesn;t do much, sadly.

i am looking for a good power amp that is going to move at least 2000w comfortably. i was looking at the carvin power amps but was curious as to people's opinions on that brand or something comparable.

i am most likely going to buy a green 8x10 cab so it will handle what i am putting into it.

thanks a ton

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Price range?

3. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Without more specifics, hard to say. Personally, I'd be looking at QSC or Crown PA amps.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

When you're pushing that kind of power, you'll need at least a 30-amp AC circuit.

Most venues don't have even 20A outlets.

5. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Seven SVT's wired with a menorah cord!

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    If you need serious loudness, tell the house to turn up the PA. :) Unless you are playing a massive venue with no PA, there is no need for a 2KW amp. Yes there are cabs like Basson which claim to love that kind of power, but IMO they are ridiculous because you can get skull-crushing loudness with less wattage using a more efficient cab.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Over the last 20 years I've bought lots of stuff from Carvin. I liked the bass I bought a lot, but I absolutely love their amplifiers.

8. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    Yeah, my DCM1000 rocks...very reliable for over 5 years now.

9. Get a Powersoft. Not cheap, but supposed to be very high quality.

10. erik281

erik281

Oct 27, 2008
    TX
    price range is around 500 or something close to that.

i am just learning about power amps and what not, i know i am beyond using the all in one amp though. my svt 4pro doesn;t hang and i am using the mono bridge on it.

i didn't plan on maxing it out but i would like to have the room for turning up as needed, without the fear of burning up my gear. i have that problem. our guitar player has 2 300w tube heads he uses. total excess.

as far as PA, where i usually end up playing never has a PA.

11. Decker

Decker

Mar 30, 2004
    Bassgrinder77 may have been kidding about seven SVTs, but FWIW, tube amps can be paralleled because they have output transformers which isolate the output devices. So, if you happen to have seven SVTs laying around collecting dust, go ahead and go crazy.;)

12. There is a Crest CA9 in the classifieds 2000 Watts Bridged at 4 Ohms just over $525 I think.

13. The maximum you're going to get that will still run on a single 15A circuit is in the range of 1500W. Carvin's DCM series of amps are excellent value and I own a few. Look at the DCM1500.

Paul

14. erik281

erik281

Oct 27, 2008
    TX
    that dcm1500 looks like it will do close to what i want at 4 or 8 ohms bridge too. and its a really good price.

i did not know about the amps pulling either, thats good to know.

15. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    You aren't going to get 2000 watts for $500 in a good quality reliable amp unless it's used. You can get close to it, but not quite.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crown-XLS-602D-Power-Amplifier-103635546-i1145682.gc - 1680 @ 4 ohms bridged $499

http://www.guitarcenter.com/QSC-RMX-1450-Power-Amp-100713924-i1145671.gc - 1400 @ 4 ohms bridged - $499

http://www.guitarcenter.com/QSC-RMX-1850HD-Power-Amp-481567-i1145673.gc - 1800 @ 4 ohms bridged $599

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crown-XLS-802D-Power-Amplifier-103635553-i1145683.gc - 2100 @ 4ohm bridged, 1600 @ 8 ohms - $599

16. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    Go with a Carvin or Crown. They are the best IMHO

17. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    393px-Menorah_svg.
    But first you'll need that menorah cord!

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Crest CA9 Heavy

QSC RMX 2450 Heavy

QSC PLX2 2402 Lighter

Crown Macrotech

As well as a number of others out there. Do the reasearch and make sure you get something reliable.

On the searc try using a brand name.

19. Are you sure?

You rarely see TUBE guitar amps that are 300 watts. Solid state yes, but not tube.

I can't even think of anything about 150w...

20. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

But you can still burn up speakers, so there is still a need to understand how to use the equipment.

You may be wasting your time and money trying to play with a guitarist like that. Seriously. If he turns up terribly loud, you're never going to have a band. A solo guitarist is all you'll have.

Not to sound too condescending, but where did you think the power was going to come from? Of course it comes from the wall. And most power amps draw double their output from the wall.