1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2013 Ampeg V-4B 100W Reissue Pt2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not to derail thread, but has anyone owned both the V4B and Mesa Boogie Walkabout and can comment on tone and headroom? I know the V4B is all tube and the Mesa is Hybrid, but I played a Walkabout through an Ampeg 410HE at rehearsal against two other guitarists and felt I couldn't get the Walkabout to cut through, the more I raised either the gain or master, the more the tone compressed. Really wondering if a V4B woild better suit me but I know it's 100 watts. It would be run through 2 Mesa Boogie 112 powerhouse cabs. Thanks for any insight.

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I, hands down prefer the V4Bs tone and response over the WA - it is just bigger, warmer and more organic sounding. For me, two 112s aren’t enough cab for either of those amplifiers.

3. I've owned the walkabout and currently gigging the v4 with the 212 av cab. Hard to say. The walkabout I only played as a 15 combo. The cabs will have a lot of effect on the tone and volume. The Ampeg 4x10, although I have never gigged one, is known for going real low and some say get muddy. I have no experience with that cab though, so can't say if that was a factor in what you experienced or not.

I can't say enough good things about the v4 and 212 combination. I use mine in a 3 piece rock band and a 4 piece country band. It is more than enough for both bands withe the master dimed and the gain around 10 maybe approaching noon depending the venue and drummer. Loud is subjective. To me if I dime the master and turn the gain to noon or above, it's real loud.

My guess is the walkabout would give you more clean headroom but not nesasarily be louder than the v4 can be.

If it were me, based on my experience with both amp, all be it with different cabs. Hands down I would go with the v4. Although thru the mesa cabs you may have a different experience than I'm having with Ampeg 212.

If $ is not the main factor I would go v4 212 Av cab. If that is not enough you could add another matching 212. I can't image with two 212 cabs you couldn't get loud and clean enough.

If $ is a big factor. You already have the mesa cabs. You could get the head to try it with your cabs. If it's not enough the v4 does 2ohms, you could add more cabs.

Or you could do the reasonable thing and buy a used walkabout off the classifieds for about $550 or so and see if it floats your boat and be done.

4. orik

orik

Nov 21, 2017
    I have a V4B paired with an Ampeg 212av and it sounds wonderful.
    Out of curiosity, will two Ampeg 212av sound the same as one 212av and two 112av?
    I know that the 212av does sound the same as two 112av but pairing them in a 212av + 2 x 112av I'm wondering whether not being identical cabs will have any effect.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  5. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    one ofthe cabs i use the V4B is a 2 12 avatar with old style magnet deltas. it sounds wonderful.

6. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Awsome! I also love the looks of that combination. :thumbsup:

gsgbass likes this.
  7. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Dreamrig! As soon as I can afford it, it’ll be a dream come true! ;)

gsgbass likes this.
  8. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    my favorite amp ever was my 72 over 810 cab. awesome. i must try it with my 2 12 cabs...

gsgbass and BassGreaser like this.
  9. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Toys 20190323_142124.

freedomryder, punky, gsgbass and 6 others like this.
  10. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Speaking of V4B's and 810's... :D
    Vantage and Pedulla.

High Camp, BassGreaser, punky and 8 others like this.
  11. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Livewire, have you had a chance to play the V4B through the Mesa (1-15 ???) cab? And if you did, whatdja think?

12. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Fat, and punchy!

ahc and Lovep like this.
  13. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Everyone still loving their V-4B's?! It is the best tone I've ever had hands down.

I'm GASing for another 212av. And maybe an SVT II. And...:laugh:

Attached Files:

14. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    NJ

RollCats likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I still do but I rarely use it now that I have a pf-50t. It's so light and it has enough power for most of my gigs so it usually gets first call.

Hnz and RollCats like this.
  16. I've been pairing the PF-50t with the 212AV and it's plenty loud for my gigs.

Edit--I should say many of my gigs. Some still require an SVT. And I usually always gig the SVT anyway since it's easy enough to plop on the 212 and I don't have to wonder if I've got enough juice.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    RollCats and JimmyM like this.
  17. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    I like my V4B with an 810 AV. But, I also have a 410HE and an 610 HLF.

BTW - I did a gig with my ELF and an old Peavey 4x10 (house cab) the other day. It sounded surprisingly good.

RollCats likes this.
  18. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Still loving mine...will never leave my side!
    CB800E9D-7D4F-4F2D-96B4-C3A57771A505.

Hnz, Lex P., JimmyM and 2 others like this.