1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2013 Ampeg V-4B 100W Reissue Pt2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Special order only.

2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I got some other configurations in mind Jimmy. Keep it going. Expand your mind.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Good to know. Probably better than ordering the oem from oc speaker which are like $90+ each.

4. $125 from OC, $115 from Ampeg, $90 from Fliptops

5. Jimmy, are you saying the V4B is in the same exact head case as the CL?

6. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

I took that to mean that it would be cheaper to buy a small amount of black cloth rather than a larger amount of silver cloth. The heads are the same width but the V4B chassis looks larger so I'd imagine the grill is shorter. Not having both in hand though...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not at all. I'm saying you could get a grill for the V4B with the black CL grillcloth for much cheaper than replacing the 610hlf grill. SVT-CL/VR and V4B grills are not interchangeable, BTW.

Ampeg is coming out with replacement grills, BTW. A month and a half ago they said they were a couple months away, so maybe soon...?

8. Psychobassguy

Psychobassguy Banned

Oct 14, 2013
    Sneedville
    Cute cat. Are those 2x10s?

Son of Wobble likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep, they're SVT 210av's.

10. Tilli

Tilli

Jun 1, 2011
    @ coreyfyfe and JimmyM:
    Thanks for your infos concerning the grill cloth

I think a silver/blue cloth on my 610hlf would look awsome. Damn, I felt in love with that color.
    Now, I have to save some money and at the end of the year I will start this "project".

At first I will contact Ampeg. If they can`t/won`t help me, I`m gonna ask fliptops.

Yesterday I was playing with my band at rehearsal. The drummer and singer did not even noticed my new amp. But the guitarplayer was hooked by the sound.

After playing about 3 hours I touched the frontpanel. It was very hot (like a fresh cup of coffee). I know that tubeamps get warm, but I did not expected that heat.

11. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not too uncommon. Tube amps do get hot, especially the power transformer, and the vintage V4s were known for getting pretty toasty. Maybe a feature they carried over ;). If it's getting too hot for comfort try using a fan pointed at the back of the head to move te air around the tubes/transformers.

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I posted a link to a place in Europe that sells the cloth, perhaps you missed it above.

It helps to position the amp away from a wall or anything in the back that prevents air from circulating. Otherwise a small desk fan pointing towards the back of the amp will help keep it cooler.

13. Tilli

Tilli

Jun 1, 2011
    @ coreyfyfe:
    I`m sure that the heat is not a problem, but I was surprised.
    I keep it in view.

@ beans-on-toast:
    sorry, I realy missed that this is UK. Thank you.

I`m hungry and your name makes me want some baked beans now.

@ all: This forum is great. So much helpful replies and friendly users.

14. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I've used a 1971 v4b for almost 20 years, but have been considering some of the "modern" amps I've been reading about onTB. Such as, aguilar, gk, and ampeg.

Today I was at corner music in Nashville trying out a bunch of amps. Then I got to the v4b reissue, WOW! It instantly hit me as a fantastic amp in a different league as the others. I'm not an ampeg fanboy. They have made a lot of turds but the new v4b is as good as it gets. I think this will be a long term winner for ampeg like the SVT series.

It's nice to know if something ever happens to my v4b or if I ever need another amp for anything there is something new I like.

15. big stubby

big stubby

Feb 1, 2007
    009-1. Still love my Vintage V4-B

ToddOfThunder likes this.
  16. AMPEG IAN

AMPEG IAN

Oct 8, 2013
    Southern California
    Ian Joe Isaacs, Endorsing Artist: Fender and Ampeg
    I would love one of these amps, but I am saving up for an old portaflex. Nice rig Jimmy, looks a little funny stacked being the head is the same size as the cab. hehe

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, that's the one cross with using the 210av's with it...I've yet to find anything aesthetically awesome looking with the vertical stack.

18. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    In life, if you have a V4B, certain things are inevitable.

19. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    If I was rolling in dough, I would be interested in that SVT212AV you posted the link to. I would like to be able to find a 212 bass cab for my B12-XT amp, but I see that cab is four Ohms. Not sure if the B12-XT amp would be happy with a four Ohm load.

20. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You'd have to buy two and make it an 8 Ω cab. Nothing wrong with dreaming.

I make bread every Friday, the only time I'm rolling in dough.