1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2013 Ampeg V-4B 100W Reissue Pt2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That means you'll be $17 shorter toward your goal.

Just+Sayin.

2. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    LAWL +11

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    LOL! Stewart/Colbert '16!!

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    LOL! Good point.

5. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden

Attached Files:

6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Ah-oooga. That's what I'm talking about, four on the floor, boomin. I was wondering about the fit in this config, looks great.

MarshallAC50Stack likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I still prefer vertical myself ;)

8. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    anybody use one of these with a Berg NV cab?
    reason I ask is I find the Bergs, while wonderful cabs, to be a bit power hungry in that they really need some juice to pump out the volume.
    How well do the V4Bs push them to open up and pack a wallop?

9. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Can't say about the V4b but user Tim1 over on the Fender 100T forum has been reporting good results with the Berg NV115 and 215 cabinets. As both amps are 100 watts my guess is the V4 will be very similar to what Tim1 has commented on. I'm actually more in favor of the Ampeg as it is a straight forward tube design versus all the added bells and whistles on the 100T. Keeping it simple IMO just plain works better with tube amps. Probably get one when funds permit.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    +1 to the Berg NV115 which I think would be magic with the V4B(and I have played a V4B)
    +1 to must get a V4B - it is top of my current wish list except just lucked onto a mint Ricky at a good price so that came first
    +1 to keep tube amps simple - loving the Fender but tbh I don't need or use all the bells and whistles

11. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    A while back I scored a rough but 100% unmolested mid 70's Ric Mapleglo in a Fender 70's HSC for $150 but needs work. Small crack in neck from improper truss rod adjustment but salvageable. Also just scored a 100% original (tubes and all) Silverface 74 Dual Showman reverb head very minty for $200. That will be my tube bass head for now. Waiting for yearly bonus and tax refund then go for the new V4B. A few more months to go :)

12. friend of mine got one of these and let me try it out.

Didn't like it at all, it sounded nice clean but when I cranked it up it didn't distort like the old ones or any other tube amp, it just sounded weird. I'm thinking his was faulty maybe.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's odd. Mine sounds wicked when you crank it hard.

14. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    Cornwall ont
    Has any one checked to see if the new ones are hard biased like originals ? I think they might be to prevent the 6550 upgrade . I have read a lot about those upgrades . so far I have been very happy with amp the way it is . maybe it's my ears unless my gain is cranked I get very little distortion out of my 62 ri jazz bass . my p on other hand is a little sooner still very impressed. I haven't had a situation where I ran out of head room using 2008 bass man 4x10 . I ran gain at 10 o'clock and master at 3 and still had room to spare with no house support . If anything was maybe to loud sometimes . I will post a video where I do drop d through p bass . my drummer loves the tone . And he wasn't sure at first he had a soft spot for the svt . I have notice my USA made vr almost sounds muddy when I go bright switch back to normal compared to v4 with same settings . just my to cents loving new amp .

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    There was a huge discussion in the first V4B thread about that very topic. I won't repeat it because I'm sure I'll get something wrong, but it's located somewhere around page 20-30, that area. I believe the conclusion was that switching to 6550's wouldn't be good since it would be pushing the PT a little hard and the box being smaller than the SVT box, it would create a bit of a fire hazard. And there's a bias pot somewhere inside the chassis.

16. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

Dec 14, 2010
    Cornwall ont

Cool thanks Jimmy . I saw your Heritage on the Facebook ampeg page . Did those tube holders come stock ? looking for a set for my VR . I half to say those transformers you got wow . Did they make a difference ? After using the V4 I kind of liking having gain @ master on my amp . Thanks when I go to local music store they look at me funny you want to do what lol

17. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    Oho! Good score - is it a 4001?
    re: 100T or V4B - I'd love to try either and I am sure my branch of the Rockshop would get both in for me to test. However, I'm not in a position to buy either at present :(
    But I do have a 3015HO to test fit into my TL-606 cab today, and it is raining so I don't have to paint the fence :D

I too love simple tube amps. Volume, Treble, Bass... go! :cool:

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Just a slight off topic on your cab ... I gigged a pair of tl606s loaded with 3015s for several years and loved them. Great tone and very sufficient volume. The soundcloud clip in my sig is a fretless p bass into a Hartke LH500 into one of the 3015 tl606s mic'd.

I predict you'll like the result once you load the driver in there.

Okay, back to tube amps. ;)

Cheers,
    Liam

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    :D Glad you dug the amp. I dig it, too! The tube holders did come stock (mine was the very first one to have them!), and they're now standard issue on all the Heritage SVT's. However, Ampeg's going to start selling them separately to retrofit all their SVT's with the big spring retainers. Don't know when they'll start, but you could email them and ask, or maybe Hodgy has some insight.

As for the transformer, the power transformer is the stock one. Didn't replace it because it doesn't make a difference. The output transformer is the Heyboer Hodgy installed for me. To be honest, I've not been able to find a current SVT-CL with JJ's in it to compare to it, but I swear it's a dead ringer for the sound of my old 69, despite being a completely different design.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    IMG_0362_zps43721f34.

Thought you all might get a kick out of this pic. This is what I brought tonight for my gig with Gary Lewis And The Playboys. Started out bringing just the Heritage head, but decided I wanted to hear the cab with the V4B since I haven't used them together on a gig so I brought it along as well. I figured Gary's bassist Dominic would rather have the Heritage and I would use the V4B. He decided he'd rather use the V4B, so my plan was thwarted ;) Not that I was complaining.

He usually uses an Orange AD200b and 410, but he loved the V4B. He was up pretty loud in the house because Gary likes loud bass, but there was also some REDDI mixed with it. I'm telling you, I don't care what anyone says...you let the amp bleed into the house along with the REDDI going into the PA, and it sounds great everywhere and the laws of acoustic physics can suck it ;) Seriously, I walked the room while they were playing and heard no comb filtering at all, just killer bass sound.