1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2013 Ampeg V-4B 100W Reissue Pt2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    A cool looking V4B case for iPhone. Looks just like a mini V4. If I had an iPhone I'd get one.

2. nouroog

nouroog

Jan 14, 2010
    Lyon, France

Sorry that was the mobile link
    Maybe this one:

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/261320491240

Shoot, that's the french ebay. Anyway you get the idea. Fun looking V4B reissue case for iphone.

3. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ahh - thank you.

Yeah - I saw that one a while back - but I am afraid to give up the protection of my current overbuilt Iphone case.

There is also one out there with an SVT-VR image on it.

Both are unlicensed I assume ;)

4. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    This showed up yesterday :bassist:

Sounds sweet and is actually my first venture into an all-tube amp. I was worried about 100 watts through the 210AV cabs being enough but I don't think this thing is going to break a sweat keeping up with what is thrown at it. I think this is going to make a very nice gig rig. Probably going to run the cabs vertical with the amp on bottom or just sitting to the side for gigs rather than how it's stacked in the pic.

Edit: I thought I'd mention that I ordered this from MF and they gave me a super price. Definitely recommend calling or emailing rather than just buying from the website - it's worth your time.

C652D13F-D3A1-487E-9893-997503135378_zpsil2u3yml.

punky likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Congrats on the new amp. Hope that your neighbors are happy with it as well. :p

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, that rig looks familiar...where have I seen it before?

:D

7. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    I've been experimenting with playing mine through a couple of different cabs. Normally I run mine through an SVT410HE, but just because, I hooked it up (separately) through an Ampeg PF210HE and a Fender Neo410. Just sounded incredibly good through each. This changes things regarding what to use for what gigs, Assuming aesthetics aren't important, this amp is a viable option with any number of cabs.

Dan

8. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas

Yep and your posts regarding the cabs helped me make up my mind to try 'um out. Thanks! :bassist:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Glad I could be of help...just hope you dig the cabs with a band as much as you do now ;) I love them but they're medium duty and a little bit high tuned, but the lows come back nicely IMHO if you give the bass knob a slight boost.

A little tip, though...the top will sag if you put cabs on it, so I came up with a piece of shelving at Home Depot that's the same width and I put 4 rubber feet on the corners so the sides of the head box take the weight and is reinforced so it won't sag.

10. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, they definitely don't go as low as my Aguilar SL112 cabs but, to me, the sealed 810-like sound out of the two 210AV cabs is where it's at with this amp. Thanks for the tip on the shelving.

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Been trying the new V4B out with all my current cabs: a 2010 8x10e, a Markbass NY 804, a Bag End S15-D and a 28 year old grey rat fur covered TL606 with an EVM-15B that's been my go to cab since the 80's. While it sounds really good with all those boxes there's just a little more magic going on with that EV. My pal Maurice Bourassa (a top notch cabinet builder and restoration guy) built it for me back in the day and now he's going to do a re 'n' re with a blue/silver Ampeg grill cloth. Pics in a couple of weeks.

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    so there's a guy that's done a pretty negative YouTube review of the V4b... what do you guys who have one think about what he has to say? I would link it but I can't on my phone.

13. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL

I think I saw this too. The excessive hum he talked about is the only thing that concerns me. I'm wanting one of these pretty bad.

14. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I'm guessing you mean these:

I can say that mine does not have any hum nor any of the cosmetic issues he spoke of.

15. Pretty harsh review....but he seems to know what he is talking about....of course he could have gotten a bad one. I haven't really heard any other huge complaints like that guy though.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sounds like a whiner to me. Most of the time he's saying it sounds really good and everything's working fine, but then he whines about the cosmetic "issues" that aren't really issues and price (despite buying one). Dead giveaway of a whiner ;)

17. JvN

JvN

Jul 4, 2011
    Rotterdam
    +1

I tested one for a magazine here in Europe over the last few weeks and it had none of these issues whatsoever. And if you know your (vintage or modern) tube amps in the field, these issues are nothing to worry about.

The only thing that worries me is that the guy prefers Peavey above Ampeg tone (which the new V-4B DEFINITELY has tons of). That's pathological ;-). He'll discover when he starts playing actively again.

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That review left me feeling that there were some obvious things that could he could have tried to resolve the hum issue.

When a new amp hums out of the box the first thing that you look at are the tubes. If the power tubes were not well matched, the amp is going to hum. Checking the glass envelope temperature with an infrared sensor isn't a substitute for measuring the cathode current and setting the bias if necessary. The overall temp for the pair on the right was higher than the temp of the other two. That indicates an imbalance. Simply swapping two of the tubes might have helped.

19. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    That guy also says his old one failed a lot...makes me think he doesnt use it correctly.

20. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I noticed that the feet on mine were not lined up symmetrically. But in a MIC amp that sounds great every time I've turned it on I can live with minor flaws I might not be inclined to in a $2500 MIA Heritage V4B. Expecting the quality of a Ferrari when you paid for a Fiat is irrational. The things than matter all seem to work well on this amp. So far I'm sticking to my assessment that Ampeg got it right with the new V4B.