1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2013 Ampeg V-4B 100W Reissue Pt2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2013.

1. At the moment, the V-4B is the only thing on my GAS list.

I'm tired of using amp modeling pedals.

2. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Ordered the V4B and returned it 2 days later for a fender 100t which rules.

3. Que paso?

4. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    It had great smooth clean tone, but I'm more of a tube overdrive person. The tech said you could get some gnarly tone but I couldn't get it no matter how hard I tried. The 100t has the.overdrive and features I dig. Totally just personal preference and I'm sure the ampeg would suit some people great

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    how could you NOT get overdrive?
    gain up and play....

that 100t is great though.

6. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Gain up 100 and it was minimal at best. I tried everything man

7. AmpegUSA

AmpegUSA

Jan 6, 2010
    Creative Manager/Copywriter/Social at Ampeg
    That is crazy. There had to have been something going on. There should be NO problem at all getting gnarly grind out of the V-4B.

8. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    My friends owns a little tube amp company and he couldn't get anything either.

9. AmpegUSA

AmpegUSA

Jan 6, 2010
    Creative Manager/Copywriter/Social at Ampeg
    I know you are telling the truth, of course, just odd. Man, it is easy to get it dirty from my perspective and haven't heard otherwise yet from anyone. But, I can't knock your experience not being there.

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    A very low gain tube in the preamp section perhaps?

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Would have to be. I don't have the reissue, I have an original non-MV, but you can't dial it above 11 without getting into distortion territory. It's not metal distortion type distortion, but it's real life tube amp dirt. I would think if you cranked the gain and controlled your volume with the master on a MV amp you should have plenty of gain unless you had a bad tube.

Interesting experience at least, glad you got an amp you enjoy though.

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Take an instrument cable and run it from the preamp out into the power amp in and see if does the same thing. If yes, plug the preamp out into the power amp in of another amp and test that.

If you don't have another power amp, run the preamp out into the input of another amp. Be careful with the volume levels. If the V4B's pre is working properly and you don't watch the volume levels, it will overpower the other amp's input and it will distort.

This will help you determine if the V4B's preamp is working properly.

13. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I think the v4b is a very clean tube amp. Doesn't do the fuzz box thing.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Mine gets pretty close to fuzz when you crank the power tubes hard. Not quite fuzz but very heavy distortion. And when you crank the gain, you can get a moderate amount of distortion.

15. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I think that the character of a tube amp is largely determined by what tubes are in the pr-eamp and power section.

16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    This was very much my impression of the V4B. I loved the way it goes into a warm, gritty bloom rather than overdrive as such. My 100T goes into a much more obvious overdrive at a certain point, but in my limited play with the V4B it just became richer and fuller. Some may interpret this as a lack of overdrive since it is not overdrive/fuzz in the traditional sense, rather it seemed to be a very useable coloration of tone.
    Re the negative review, the 100T had all sorts of problems with the auto-bias system, but it did not seem to affect sales and Fender seemed to deal with the issues quickly for customers. The reviewer should obviously have returned it for a warranty check on hum bias etc, then written the review if he still felt so inclined.
    I still want a V4B, but am having difficulty selling my 100T at the moment. I figure having the V4B and the Super Bassman in the arsenal together should cover me for most tones :D.

17. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Is there a problem if I wanted to connect one 8 ohm cabinet and one 4 ohm cabinet? Cause I checked the manual and says never to connect different impedance cabinets.

18. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    IIRC That would give a total load of roughly 2.6 OHMS. If the head has a 2 OHM tap you would probably be OK. Can't say for sure though. Maybe somebody can chime in on that.

19. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would plug the cabs together and test the total ohms using a meter.

20. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Yes I was thinking to daisy chain the cabs and connect to 2 ohms output,but still I wanted to be sure if there is a problem with 2,67 ohms there...