1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String and possible brands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fingerguy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I have mentioned in other posts that I do not know bass brands as good as I know guitar brands. With me shopping around for a 5 string and wanting to get something besides a Fender (since I own 2 Fenders) I am not really sure what direction to go. I know I know pick them up and try them. But I still need a point of reference. I did mention an interest in Schecter which I will try at a GC and/or a SA but I also one day going to make a trip to this place (see below). Before I go (which will be months from now) I want to get an idea of what brands I should focus on.

I play pretty much Southern Rock and Motown. So reviewing his list what brands would you recommend?

Alpha Audio Works: Basses and Amplification

2. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    StingRay5

AxtoOx, osonu, Badwater and 5 others like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    G&L

4. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    MrWolf14 likes this.
  5. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Oh this is going to be fun. I might have to go to this store on my own so I don't feel rushed. The fiance says she wants to come but I don't want her bored out of her mind.

Gearhead17 and eddododo like this.
  6. Keep it simple - buy an Ibby SR305. That's probably the most bang for the buck bass on the market. Inexpensive, but good build quality, good electronics. That way, if you can't handle that 5th string, you aren't out too much.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    AAW is hit or miss for stuff in stock, though I haven't been there in a few years. Your fiancé however will absolutely love Mystic if she hasn't been there before- it's a small beautiful town built for tourists and foot traffic. She can just wander while you're in there.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I played recently for a southern rock band and used the following basses, all five strings, and all sounded great in that context:
    - Stingray 5HH - my favorite bass overall, as far as I'm concerned it fits any situation. I think it would sound great for Motown as well, and maybe even better with flats on it.
    - An MIA Precision V - I used it with both flats and rounds and it sounded great with both sets of strings, for Motown flats would be killer!
    - A G&L L-2500 - my favorite setting (neck pickup, series mode, passive) sounded fantastic. For Motown, neck-parallel-passive would probably be a great fit.
    - A FrankenJazz - I put undeserving high quality parts on an SX body and neck and, even though the bass is a complete mutt, it sounds great!

Based on the list of basses available at AAW, the Stingray and any G&L would be great choices.

I also owned a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 for about two years and loved that bass. It sounded great overall and the passive tone was one of my favorite sounds on it. But I sold my Warwick before I started playing with those guys, so I can't say with certainty how well it wold fit your applications, but it was extremely versatile so I'd guess it could work quite well.

EDIT: I also just realized that AAW also sells Lakland. I had a 55-02 that was another great bass. It could easily work for those genres as well. Extremely versatile.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    osonu and Badwater like this.
  9. franklindayala

franklindayala

Feb 8, 2015
    PERÚ
    Didn't open the web store page at first. Sorry for that.

Ok from that list and the music you play, I would personally go for G&L.
    If you have the extra cash Nash Guitars.

10. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Oh we know Mystic; been there many times. I just wasn't a bass player at the time so never looked for such places.

While people I work with say Mystic Pizza is touristy I personally really like the pizza.

11. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    No worries. I am not confining myself to just that list, so skies the limit. But the music is pretty much Southern Rock and Motown.

12. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    since you play guitar ... something with a slimmer neck and normal 34" scale might feel better and e easier to switch to and play .. !!??!!

that usually leads me to Ibanez SR basses ... they have thin , nice shaped 34" necks ... the rest easy to mod to taste .. !!

the thinner Fender neck i've ever had was on a MIJ Geddy Lee ... but it was a 4 string

my current 5vers have Warmoth Deluxe 5 necks ... they have an asymmetrical back side on the neck .. ! their 5vers feel like 4 string necks .. !! very comfy

13. fingerguy

fingerguy

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I have strong sausage fingers (the ladies like it ;-) so which made the transition to bass that much easier. A lot chords were a PITA to get my giant fingers in. So width of the neck isn't that big deal to me; big hands are good for bass and other things.

14. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    No disrespect, but this was the path into 5 strings that turned me off to them. For me, on the lower end Ibanez (SR375 or similar I think in this case), although a fantastic entry price, left a lot to be desired. The B string was floppy no matter how I tried to adjust for it. The bridge broke under tension (there's a posting here about this happening) that was fixed under warranty, and the sound just wasn't for me.

Truly, I loved the playability and ergonomics of that bass, but it kept me from GASsing for a 5 and for Ibanez for a while.

Understand, I'm not knocking the brand as a whole. Their middle and upper eschelon basses are pretty dang good. I may have just also had a dog. I think I may have went in with Fender tastes and bought a Squier and never really had the right mentality for it also.

That said, I have played some Schecter 5's that were pretty nice, but the necks are kinda big for my hands, so it never got off the testing phase for me with them.

Jamvan likes this.
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Mystic Pizza is great if you're really into mediocre pizza :D

The Green Onion II is a short drive from there and has much better pizza.

16. I know mine is a old one. I have a ESP LTD 5 string. EMG's, 3 band active p/u. Pretty cool.

17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I understand your feelings about Fender. . . . but if the best bass you can get is a Fender then that's what I think you should get. On the other hand. . . .

Did I miss your budget? IMO if your budget doesn't cover a Mike Lull then save until it does. These are some of the best basses at any price.

oren likes this.
  18. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    G&L, Musicman, and Lakland strike me as the sensible things to look at, assuming you aren't looking to go really high end.

kwdhsk and backin82 like this.
  19. There's a few brands making good ones.
    I've since moved on to 6 string but here's some of the 5 strings I really liked

Warwick thumb nt5
    IMG_0118.JPG
    Musicman sting ray 5 IMG_0167.JPG
    ESP F-415fm EMG electronics 35" probably the best low B under a grand new.
    IMG_2169.JPG

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    cthomas5200 likes this.
  20. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I've been very satisfied with my Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string...used it onstage for years...just make sure it's a neck thru with a locking bridge and you'll be fine.