1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 types basses you should NEVER buy:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MKT711, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MKT711

MKT711

Jan 21, 2006
    This is an article I wrote. I thought you guys might enjoy it:

***I took down the link, I was just kidding, sorry if you were offended***

If you really want to find it though its on my blog: heybassguy.blogspot.com

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree with all except the too many strings reason.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with all but the last... but different strokes for different folks. I'd play the Jaco bass if that had features I wanted, and I'd play the Bootsy bass if I were doing Bootsy impersonations. But that's it.

4. +1. The "what are you a guitarist?" comments and "have a bass off with Victor Wooten" are typical BS against non-traditional basses. We ain't playin' no Mustang Sally on these too many stringed basses.

5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    I'd never buy a J Bass, P Bass or MM. Because they are "classics" is no reason to own them. The Model T was a classic and if it was that good everyone would still be restoring and driving them today AND they never would have gone out of production.

6. i agree with all of them, but i dont care if other people dont. hell.. you want a 9 string? knock yourself out, but I know I will never play more than 5

7. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

makes sense to me, but i still believe in different strokes for different folks.

i don't care what anyone else plays.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Why did you write about 5 types of basses one should never buy?

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    well, you could be playing Mustang Sally... but you'd probably be playing the bassline, chords, and vocal melody on your bass. :p

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Headless basses are super cool to me.

11. Meh.. this guy has his opinions, I have mine. Razorback bass is still kickin' though:hyper:

12. That would have a good improvement. Besides, I already did! Does that make me an idiot?

If my life ever gets to that, I will be driving my car over the nearest available overpass.

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

You sound like a major douche, dude.

I'm sorry, but people play what they want.

14. poyeeyancy

poyeeyancy

Feb 5, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    you should have made this thread 5 basses that I wouldn't buy... i agree with you on most things that you said but at the same time if somebody wants to play a "metal" style bass in a jazz group then whatever...

p.s.
    i worked at hot topic and i play in 2 jazz bands and for the musical at my school... just because i worked there doesn't mean i am less of a musician...

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    there not opinions he says there facts LOL..

No disrespect to the OP but this should be deleted its nothing more then trolling for arguments.

I dont care what I play as long as I play, and for someone to say that someone else should avoid a bass cause I dont like it is absurd and close minded. What makes you an authority on what people should and should not buy?

I would rock out a Daisy Rock butterfly bass its probably the only bass I can afford with a butterfly on it hhahaha. Ill play it in a death metal band for all I care.

Your obviously to caught up in looks versus skill.. Trust me if I seen someone come out with a bootsy and rock it out in jazz or metal or what ever I have respect for the bassist not what he chooses to get the job done.

Threads like these are just someone looking for attention on a website that will probably never amount to anything.

Play your bass more, and less thinking on how your going to help people.. If your going to try and help people do it with a positive spin on it not downing what others like cause there different from the normal..

Victor is different from the normal should we not listen to him cause he plays different?

blahhhhhhh im done..

16. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Did you write it in a blog and post it here so you wouldn't get banned? Cos that post would certainly get you banned here.

You say no one should buy a bass to impress with looks but all your "don't buys" are looks based. You can't even get your mind around the fact that more strings is not just for the look. Stay in your place at the bottom of the band, i'd much rather be a musician who happens to play bass.

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    You forgot to mention unlined fretless basses.

18. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    :rollno: 5 types of basses you should never buy.

19. Man...

you are just about one of the most opinionated bass players ever to post on this forum...I LIKE IT

(even if i dont agree with a lot of what you say!!)

20. There's nothing wrong with any of those basses.