'66 dot/bound J tribute

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    abwRyDqc.jpg

Well, I guess the realization I've come to is that owning a few Jazz basses, I don't have to try and make each one do everything - each can do its own thing. I've never been a pu covers player. When I was getting stated everyone ditched their covers, which either went missing or were used as ashtrays. (literally!) The covers came off as soon as a bass was brought home.

Think about when pickguards started being removed (one particular fretless J player comes to mind) or when glossy paint finishes were being stripped off to natural. After a while, the industry responded to that and then most all basses were pickguard-less and woody! It was out with the old and in with the new!

With all of the options available now, there's something for everyone and it's all a matter of personal preference and choice. There's also a much greater awareness of era authenticity now and it's fun celebrating those specific iconic references.

Yah, I bought my B20 a little over a year ago being 'blown out' at GC. I went in to kill time and walked out with it. I couldn't believe how good it sounded for the price. (it was being discontinued, but it has a 3 year warranty) A super amp for the size/investment. It mostly stays at the home studio, but I have used it for small gigs and it handles them righteously.

2. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Finally had the '66 trib J in a live jam session on Friday night. I've been diggin' playing it at home but needed to hear it in a band setting. Scored once again! It has a really unique tone that is definitely old-school. Plunky yet tone-full and round/fat. The light foam dampens it but notes still linger nicely when played. (not a full-stop -plunk-) But considering the twists and turns of a night of improv I rocked-out on it as well and it rose to the occasion! Especially nice w/a pick -

3. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    With thebrian's help, (cool vintage Fender bass's owner and all around nice guy!) I sourced a guy who makes made to order authentic 60's era (one-off hand-made!) tort pg's

http://spitfiretortoiseshellpickgua...120&contact-form-sent=686&_wpnonce=29862dc539

I ordered one and can't wait to see what Mark comes up with! It's the one detail I felt was the hardest to nail on my '66 trib. The one I have on it now is ok but not authentic to the era. (no new Fender or otherwise torts are 60's authentic) The final piece of the puzzle has finally been found (I hope!)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    The Bass Clef likes this.
  4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    funny...as I was reading the thread (from page 1 onward...) I kept thinking "he needs to check out Spitfire pickguards".....

Great looking 66 tribute. Looks a LOT like my old white 66, though mine didnt have the matching headstock...but it was a dots/bound model with lollipops too.

JIO likes this.
  5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Thanks - I love playing it! Sounds like you no longer have your '66 - :crying: do you miss it?

Yes, my Spitfire order is in and it's being made now. I gave Mark this pic as a reference for what I am after - (new-no relic) vintage burgundy/speckled 60's according to his checklist. Can't wait to see what he comes up with!

acsNp8XL.jpg [/QUOTE]

sneha1965 likes this.
  6. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Mmmm, Pepperoni

JIO likes this.
  7. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    yep, i definitely miss it....but it helped me out of a jam, so its ok i guess

Gabbs and JIO like this.
  8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Pick-guard by Spitfire is done and will ship on Tuesday. Less pepperoni but the more authentic 60's colour looks to be spot-on! (a not so great pic but you get the impression) More vibrant in the rust-red/amber dept and less brown (like what I have now) plus it's 4 ply. (mine is 3) Pics of it on the bass will follow -

spitfire pg.jpg

The Bass Clef and TomB like this.
  9. Ohh, that's damn nice.

10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Yah - can't wait! I love it that Mark addressed and nailed this need. (and did so creatively!) a win-win.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    looking forward to seeing it all together !

JIO likes this.
  12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    A picture tells a thousand words... my early '66 tribute J is complete.

IMG_6544_zps6b3e7a3b.jpg

13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Ok, I'm going to give a shameless plug to Mark Townsend (AKA Spitfire Vintage Tortoiseshell Pickguards) because "I live in his hood". Here's a guy who saw a void in our world and artistically addressed it - and his product is very nice. It is quality. It is not cheap - the price of artisan quality. To most people it's just so much plastic. To me and those like me - good work Mark!

Because here's what it comes down to.., did I want a '66 J pickguard? Well sorta', but this is even better - it's got the essence/quality of those 60's pg's created this week by Mark Townsend. Not a nameless worker in the 1960's Fender factory, but Mark Townsend. And by me purchasing his product (created by his hand) I support the creative process as a whole (and him specifically) - not just some antique dealer. That just resonates w/me. Mark signs his pg's. I sign my Gildaxe (treated) instruments also. I look at them as a limited edition and am a part of every one. Long live the artistic geeks in our world!

IMG_6540_zps533a1a2b.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  14. J + Oly + tort = glory

How's that for some real life math?

It's hard to beat that combo, really. The bass is looking great.

JIO likes this.
  15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    On the left - what I had on it (Fender part) which was the closest thing I could find that I could live with, and on the right, the Spitfire tort guard.

IMG_6539_zps8485c416.jpg

16. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    and lastly - the money shot

IMG_6545_zps8ac45e5d.jpg

sneha1965, Splods and SunnBass like this.
  17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Man, those Spitfire guards are really the shizz, aren't they?

Looks great, really nice.

JIO and Splods like this.
  18. Please don't hate, but I think both of those pick guards look good. Disclaimer: I wasn't around to appreciate that era of guitars, so my understanding of "what is proper" is limited.

White/tort is just about the sexiest thing possible, though, so perhaps that will alleviate some of the upcoming flaming due to my blasphemous comments from a paragraph above. I drew this for myself and had it printed on a shirt recently:

Jazz Bass - White with Tort (for shirt) - 30 Degrees.png

19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    (all of my threads are in a NO HATE zone! ;)) I like them both also and they both look fine on the bass - it was just a matter of striving to get closer to the sweet-spot of the 60's tort look. (and nothing new out there other than the Spitfire comes close) Nice T-shirt design!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  20. That pickguard just makes the bass!

JIO likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021