'66 dot/bound J tribute

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Aug 8, 2013.

1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi JIO -
    I don't have an accurate scale, but my inaccurate one says right about 9 + a bit lbs., which I can believe from experience. I actually think it may have gotten lighter over the years, but that may be imagination as today was the first time I ever weighed it. Tom

JIO likes this.
  2. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I worked on my roasted ash J body today. I was able to do all routing and shaping and beveling. Made a few mistakes but nothing that can't be fixed. Weighs in at 4.6 lbs, a bit heavier than they told me it would be (3.5-4lbs) but I'm confident it will still end up 8.someting assembled. Will shoot pics when the light comes up.

Splods likes this.
  3. Your roasted ash look amazing ! Nice build btw

JIO likes this.
  4. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Here's some pics - most of the heavy lifting is done, just need to do a wider round-over on the edges and more sanding. You can see my mis-calculation in the front pic of the (2) neck pu-flanges depth, repaired by making plugs to fill and even them out. My other 'oops' is a classic for DIY'rs everywhere - the old "drill the bridge-wire channel through the back of the body". I have an extra long bit and knew the routine to angle it as flat as possible but in this case it was a tiny bit off. It entered the deep (1-3/8") control cavity but I just didn't see it break-through until it was too late! Oh well, some patching material made from sanding dust and glue will fill it in, and the trans blond will mostly disappear it. Such is the stuff that makes a build truly unique!

IMG_7694_zpszygdrogb.jpg

IMG_7695_zpso3xtmb6l.jpg

mapleglo likes this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    That grain is exceptional. I seem to remember you saying you're doing a trans white finish?

JIO likes this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    yep - like my post #111 on page 6 of the rare ash-bodied '66 J w/trans blond finish. (erring on the side of Oly white) The grain is cool isn't it? The examples of roasted maple necks I've seen Pat Wilkins do recently also have really enhanced figuring because of the roasting process. Working w/it is very aromatic - smells nice!

7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    As the proud owner of a natural, ash bodied P bass, I commend both the spirit and intent of this build. Could've/would/ve offered my "60s" ish Jazz for measurements, but I am not 100% on its authenticity.

Also, I just like seeing what you do. Also also, trans white is one of my fave finishes for ash.

Subbed for this...

JIO likes this.
  8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Welcome aboard wraub! I finished all the detailing and sanding and will box it up tonight for shipment to Pat Wilkins tomorrow. It may take a month depending on his current turnaround time. Really interested in how my J will sound w/this roasted ash body. I'm very keyed into what it's character is now, so I will be able to discern the difference immediately. I hope I like it better, because I will for sure like the lighter weight better!

I fab'd a dowel of the ash to plug the 'oops' hole and it's mostly gone - may be seen under the trans blond but will be a very very minor visual 'blemish' if so. I guess I could have tried to match the grain better…, but … I didn't! Like I said, it makes it unique, like a beauty mark! ;)

IMG_7698_zpsrr8ea2od.jpg

I took this shot with an old pg, pu covers and plate just to see what grain will show.

IMG_7701_zpsjmthiyvj.jpg

Mimicked the "Fullerton Hump" as seen on vintage J's -

IMG_7696_zpsmv7isr0l.jpg

another shot showing the hump - ash is difficult to shape due to the hard/soft grain discrepancy and one reason Fender relied so heavily on alder after a while. (much less labor intensive=much more cost effective to produce)

IMG_7697_zpsb8k5cnub.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    lbridenstine likes this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Sounds correct. It's funny how wide the spectrum can range. I'm going to hope for, 8.8 lbs - that would be great, but anything under 9 will be a welcomed weight reduction from the current 10 lbs. And really, even 10 lbs is not that heavy, but after playing my '66 P (8.6 lbs) I was instantly spoiled! Pat Wilkins produces basses under 8 lbs, but that's with a roasted maple neck and roasted alder body. Wow - talk about feather-weight!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    TomB and Splods like this.
  10. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    That roasted ash looks nice!

JIO likes this.
  11. Nice attention to detail!

JIO likes this.
  12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    It's also why Hopkins relies so heavily on alder. The last tummy cut and forearm relief I did on an ash body accelerated my hair loss by a few years. :D

JIO likes this.
  13. Hey JIO

Yeah, yeah, YEAH!

I thought from the instructions on the finish above you were going to do this one yourself - but I have heard that ash can really be finicky - and I am drooling to see what this looks like when Pat gets done with it! Nice very nice, for certain. I love the vintage router bump. I am thinking of picking up a blank of this roasted ash myself. It really is a nice rich deep color. This body has surely inspired me on yet another project.

Thanks for that.

JIO likes this.
  14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    It's funny me being know for my gilded finishes - I have learned from experience to leave the final finishing to the pro's (Pat & Marty). I've done enough myself to know what it takes to do a super job, and I'll hand off the torch to those who rule thank you. Pat's not done what he calls his vintage blond on roasted ash, so I included a sizable chunk to play with included in the shipping box. If anyone can do it - you and I know Pat Wilkins can! On the roasted ash blank - Sue Gonzales at bestguitarparts.com was super helpful as I requested a 1.5" slab (normally 1-3/4") and it was dealt with w/o issues. I highly recommend their services.

It is what makes something special right? The type of wood, the slightly thinner body and the vintage router hump.., no one, I mean NO ONE will ever notice… but me! :roflmao: (and to be fair to all my peeps - of course all of you - w/o question! :thumbsup:)

I've modified (twice!) my ash '06 '51 RI P and in doing so learned 'the way of ash'… luckily I like how alder sounds because like you it is my wood of choice!

15. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Alder is lovely stuff isn't it. Its soft enough to work easily but hard enough to not be easily dented, it finishes easily, is attractive enough to sport a clear, or at least a burst finish, its not terribly expensive, its not heavy, and the sanding dust is not at all irritating.

JIO likes this.
  16. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    +1 ! :thumbsup:

I made a bass body once out of koa - it is hard like ebony but not as brittle, you can shape the tiny-est detail and it holds like steel. No chipping, splintering - nothing! A bit too dark tonally as a solid body however, alder still rules when all things are considered.

17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    After playing my '66 trib J (lately in Bond Girl rehearsals/gigs and just now in the focused privacy of my own home) I'm second thinking my line of reason - this bass sounds amazingly good (as is). It isn't light, but… Ok.., (regroup) it's now a continuation of the evolution of a bass project. So, to test the sound of the roasted ash body, (which is light and will look amazing I'm sure!) I think I will first build it up using parts from my Fiesta Red Audere/Fralin powered J I built-up not that long ago. (on that body) black & blond P makeover | Page 5 | TalkBass.com It's a completed bass currently, but I feel less inhibited to dis-assemble it than the '66 trib J for now. The FR body, a recent WD, replaced the heavy alder body that instigated my bass weight-reduction program. (er.., my chambered P/J.., not Jenny Craig) So.., going by the time-tested "if it ain't broke…" wisdom… I will do a bit of 'preliminary explorations' first by testing the roasted ash body to assure a successful future marriage. (of the roasted ash body/trib J everything else) A bass body marriage councilor? :cautious:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    mapleglo likes this.
  18. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    More thoughts… my T2K Mk II (modded ash-bodied 51' P RI) can provide an A/B comparison for the roasted ash tone study. It's active (G&L L-2000) but has a passive mode. Will be differences of hum-buckers vs split-coil J's (both active & passive) and maple vs rw & ebony, but if either platform gets in the same league with the T2K - it will sound amazing. So for now I'll stop obsessing and take it up when the finished body arrives in a month or so.

19. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    That is one achingly beautiful piece of wood....It's a sin to cover it with a pickguard.Especially the lower horn.

Clearcoat and wrap 'er up.

JIO likes this.
  20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    The grain is nice - I don't think the thin trans-blond will take away from what it has going now. And if it doesn't make the cut for the '66 trib, I'd leave it pg-less like my Fiesta red J now.

Just for reference sake, here's the two basses that are going to vie for the roasted ash body;

IMG_7653_zpstwm3e8px.jpg

IMG_7223_zps47tzlfi0.jpg

Dadagoboi likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021