1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A little upset right now

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DwaynieAD, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Some of you may remember a few years ago I posted a thread about a friend of mine that was murdered. she was pregnant.

The scumbag was charged in both murders. Today he got 40 years and frankly I find that to be Bull****.

I guess in PA taking a life is only worth 20 years.

2. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your friend. What outcome did you want?

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    At the minimum, he'll be 66 when he gets out and that assumes he'll live that long. He looks like a druggie, too. I'll bet his liver gives out before he's eligible for release.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    40 years is a pretty long sentence. I wouldnt exactly say that he got off light.
    Sorry its not the outcome you wanted, but a lot can happen during 40 years of jail time.

5. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    We need to bring back Lex Talionis. I am sorry for your loss.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Once word gets out he killed a woman and an unborn child, prison won't be good to him.

Now that a verdict has been reached you should get together with any mutual friends and celebrate her life and memory. Don't leave this horrible event on a negative note due to a problem with the justice system.

7. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Yeah. It's called parole. Odds are that he will eventually walk. How very nice for his next victim.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Harness that anger into something positive. Perhaps you can volunteer some time at a shelter for abused women and children? Maybe you could volunteer to be the driver for a meals on wheels type program in your community.

Anger is a powerful emotion, don't let it get the best of you. But yeah, go ahead and be mad for the moment though.

-Mike

9. we celebrate her regularly. sound advice.

its 20-40 so potentially the value of a life has been cheapened to 10 years...

i almost think i'd be willing to give up ten years to put two in him.

I'd also like to point out that despite what the article says she was not his girlfriend. they had been split up for almost 2 years and she had a PFA against him.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Just remember that torture is always worse than death and that he's likely not to have a great time for 4 decades in a small room.

If you need consolation,... that's it.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, the sentence was 20-40 years for each of two counts, so thats up to 80 years, technically, even if he wont serve anywhere near that.
    And still, dont treat that as a value on her and her unborn childs life. The Judicial system is not uniform and there are all kinds of reasons why a perp might get a sentence reduced or serve their time concurrently.

The value on her life is determined not by the law, but by the memory of her that you and her other loved ones carry with you.

12. the DA is up for re-election. that's all I'll say on that matter.

I do feel some justice is served and my healing is in no way tied to his fate.

but I still feel it's bull and cheapens human life. A murderer is not human. his victims are.

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The article had 'concurrent', not 'consecutive'. The total is 20-40 years.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    You have my sympathy, buddy. The least the guy should've gotten was Life.

I am as sick over this as you.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Death penalty would be good for him. Save the taxpayers some money.

16. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The kid that killed my nephew (drunk driver) got 7.5 to 18 years. We weren't happy, but he is in prison.

Prison is not a pleasant place. They have their own internal justice system there. Guys (or gals) who murder pregnant women or children let's say are not welcomed as conquering heroes. He is in for a world of hurt.

When I went through therapy following my nephew's death, the therapist asked me if I favored the death penalty in my case. After a lot of thought, I told him no - prison is infinitely worse for these guys. They have to live with what they've done, and look over their shoulders constantly. I still feel that way.

Best of luck to you and your family in your healing process. Try not to hate. Hate is like drinking hemlock and hoping the other guy dies. I know it isn't easy.

17. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    No, that's not right. Especially when much longer sentences get handed out for much less in other cases. I hope his cell mates make the most of his time.

18. Never really does with the legal processes. I don't say that as a political statement, just part of the legal processes. Odd how that works. Can't "win" either way.

19. you echo my thoughts on the subject. I never thought I'd feel that way until it hit so close to home, but yeah lots of time with nothing to do but think about what they've done. although by all accounts from people who knew him. he won't care.