Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prockenklang, Feb 2, 2006.

1. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    I just took delivery of a new Curbow that was delivered to me while I was at NAMM! The Curbow guys came out to check-out the show(they didn't have a booth) and brought mine with them! I might be shooting myself in the foot by showing it to you guys because I am not a Curbow dealer at the store where I work(they only sell direct:crying: ),but I just couldn't resist.This is the best bass I have ever owned,and for those of you that know me,you know I am a bass freak!! Just last year alone I went through 6 Foderas,5 LeFays,and several other great basses looking for the ultimate,and I just keep coming back to Curbows!!

Since Greg Curbow died,I was concerned that the quality would not be the same,and I was right,they are even better!!!
    The guys at Curbow are committed to not only to continue building these great basses,but to take them to the next level! I got a chance to talk to them and see what's up,and I think people are going to be blown away!

If you have never owned or even gotten to play a Curbow,you owe it to yourself to try one! Most of you guys have seen the Cort Curbows,and for the money are very cool,but if you are looking for something truly special,these are the bomb!!

2. Wow. That quilt/finish seriously looks like I'm staring into the ocean :eek:
  3. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow John, what a beauty!! Perfect for the Monterey Bay type of gigs..:eek: I need to stop by your store to check it out:D
  4. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Oh my..... man, your killin me... killin me!
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  6. Beautiful! Glad to see that Greg's legacy is being carried on so well.
  7. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I recall playing a couple of Curbows at a local store back in the mid 90's.
    I saw about seven stunning models hanging on the wall and I asked Rusty the sales guy "Who makes those?"
    He told me Greg Curbow (never heard of him up to that point).
    I tried a BEAUTIFUL Petite 5 with a purpleheart top and a couple others and I was blown away!! FAr superior than anything I had played and anything I was worthy of owning.
    I have smallish hands and I remember the unfamilar 20mm string spacing caused me to miss some notes on the higher strings! (Very impressive in a music store when everyone can hear you.)
    I currently have a Cort Curbow 4 strung up as a piccolo and I'm used to the spacing now! It's fun on which to noodle around.
    You have a gorgeous bass and that finish is very deep!!

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Beautiful! I love that finish--in fact, that gives me idea for a singlecut Curbow 5 to go along with my 6...after I take delivery of the Jazz 5 they're building me, of course! ;)

9. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Gorgeous bass, CONGRATS!!! :cool:
  10. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Hey Mike,
    your singlecut 6 is awesome!!! Are you planning on going to the Curbow party in June?

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    hey! Quit mackin on my avatar!

haha j/k!

Awesome Curbow! I was debating on getting a 6-string. The fingerboard felt too...synthetic for me though.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice! I just received an American Petite 5 in a trade today, and this is a very beautiful, very nice playing bass. I'm still trying to figure out the tone controls, though. I think I know what everything is supposed to be doing, but the sonic results are a little different than what I would expect. Great bass, though!

13. thats what i was going to say :)
  14. I'm guessing the fingerboard extension is mostly for aesthetic reasons? Does anyone actually play the B-string up higher than the 15th fret or so?
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's gorgeous! Did you order it custom? When I first saw the pics, I thought it was the Slapper prototype that Greg built before the Cort line came out. In any event, it's a beautiful bass.

Where can I find out more info about the Curbow party in June? I never could find it on the website. There's no way I'd miss it.
  16. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Good eye,it is the prototype!!! As far as the Curbow get-together,give Simon at Curbow a call at 706-374-2873.

See ya in June!!

17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Nice bass, and considering the source, it must play and sound great as well. You mention a lot of big name comparisons.

Do they really live up? I mean, they aren't that expensive. I know price isn't everything, but...
  18. Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    Lovely bass- that quilted top is incredible.

I've never tried a "real" Curbow, but as a happy Cort Curbow 6owner I love the design.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I know that the American Petite is still pretty new to me, but my thoughts so far are that it is potentially as fine of a bass as anything I have tried. Personal preference will rule the day, or course, but it has flawless action/setup, great playability, and a very together, if a bit mellow for my likes, tone. I am talking to Curbow about upgrading the preamp, and I think with this change, it could potentially be a top contender.

Oh, and from what I hear, the curved top Curbows are even better than my "flat top!" :)