1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AccuGroove mini review Tri-112 & 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jul 21, 2006.

1. I recieved these cabs "on loan" to use for an extended period of time. The details of how/who sent them for the moment are going to be kept quiet.

Anyway, this is going to be brief, I'll update this post later after a gig or two are through them.

The first thing I noticed is how much these two cabs sound alike. The 115 seems to just sound "bigger" than the 112, but in no way (IMO) extreamly different like most 115 vs. 112 can be.

I will say this, in the past I have not been the biggest fan of AccuGroove. The cabs I played out of did not impress me a whole lot (2x8 and another one they don't make any more).
    Couple that with the issues surrounding the "switch" and they didn't fair too well.
    BTW, if any thing gets out of hand on this thread reguarding the switch or general bad mouthing of AccuGroove like I've seen in past threads, I'll ask for it to be deleated. Let's stay on the subject at hand OK!?

BAck to the cabs....
    They are not like other cabs. Not at all in how they sound. From what I can tell, there isn't any "EQ-ing" of the cab like others. To break them in, I played music through them for about 5 hours at a pretty good level (not really loud).
    The first thing I noticed was they sounded stinkin' great with audio through them. Something almost all bass cabs do not sound good doing.
    A pair of Tri-112's on poles would kill as a PA!!

These cabs are made to be EQ'ed. What I mean is they will reproduce what you put in.

At a rehersal with a country band (who normally plays at a pretty quiet level) I took just the Tri-112. This night they decided to play pretty damn loud.
    I noticed that I could hear myself better and I was at a lower level than what I would normally would be for this volume.

The Tri-1112 performed fantastic. Lows were nice and tight without being "boomy". The mids were not harsh and the highs were actually a bit quiet, but smooth none-the-less This was an issue with a lot of guys reguarding the highs, but for me, they were fine.

The amp/basses were my Acoustic Image Focus, Smith BSR5J-MW and old 70's Jazz with super old Barts- passive BTW. My old cabs were Epifani UL112's FWIW.
    I haven't tried my BSX Allegro 5 through them yet, but I will in the next day or two.

I have two loud gigs next week- one outdoor with the country band and the next night with a loud funk/R&B band. I'll be taking both cabs to both gigs.
    I'll post up again after the gigs. But as of now, these things are pretty sweet. Very versitile. And not as "colored" as most other cabs on the market.

2. I look very forward to trying these out! It's been quite a while since I've tried the AccuGroove cabs, and look forward to dipping back in and seeing what they are all about. My understanding is that Mark has made some changes to the woofer desings (at least in the 15" models) to tighten them up a little bit, and I think (from a press release I read on the Groove Shoppe site) that he also is using slightly more aggressive/higher output tweeters than originally. Both of those changes would IMO be a positive for that line of cabs.

Cool.... I assume I'll see you next week at our little 'mini hang' at LDS with Jason and Steve (and whoever else wants to show up)!

K

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That sounds like an El Whappo in two boxes, and with double the amount of mids and tweets! I'd love to hear those two cabs, either invidually or together. You simply must bring them down to Fremont the next time we get together (and I have the possibility of a date opening up for a GTG real soon!).

Keep us informed as to how they perform on the gig! :)

Tom.

4. Let me know the date and I'm there with both cabs.

And yes, according to Mark, this is the equivilent of an El Whappo in two boxes. But with added mids and tweets.

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I might have to make that drive this time as well and will be open to bringing anything from the shop thats in stock at that time.

Tom, please keep me posted on the GTG.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I as of now only have my 18" Gordo, but dayum if it isn't sweet! ;)
    I doubt I'll be getting rid of that one anytime soon.

I had to say that I did like the transparency of the Tri-112. However I found after a few gigs that I actually do enjoy having some "character" to a cab when it comes to a live situation.

That being said, once I become a famous rock star, like we all will someday, I for sure will be setting up either a 1x or 2xTri-112 stack in my studio. They are the cleanest and clearest cabs out there and sound great by themselves. However compared to a Schro, which was designed strictly for live use, the AG just didn't add up. So I got a 1210 and am back to good for live shows.

But you'll pry the 1x18 outta my cold, dead hands! Man that thing rocks!
    :hyper:

7. burk48237

burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Brian, It would be cool to see you again! By the way I love the double gig bag and your service was lightning fast!

8. We'll see how they do live. But at rehersal it kicked ass!!

9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    That's exactly how I've been using mine lately. I run my V-drums, minidisc (keys, horns, samples) and three vocals through them at rehearsal and they sound fantastic.

10. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Very interesting comment. I just traded my Schro 1210 for a Tri112. The reality is I traded stage volume for fidelity and accuracy. There is a place for both though -- I just can't afford a Whappo Jr. right now. But for the meantime, I am happy with what I ended up with.

I need to hear the Accugroove at a gig to really get an assessment. I had one rehearsal with it, and was tweaking the whole time trying to get my sounds. At the end of the rehearsal, I was really pleased with the tones I was getting.

For me, the jury is still out just because I haven't heard it on stage, but preliminarily I'm pleased.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Did you meet a guy in Corsicana in a maroon F150 to get it? ;)
    Because that'd be me if so! But if not, hey, that's cool too. :)
    Glad you're liking it. I guess in my situation I could deal with somewhat "reduced" clarity as to gain some more volume and overall tone for live performances.

Glad you're likin' it though, even if it's not mine!

12. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX

REAGAN!!! It IS me, man! That's so funny! Now I got your TB nickname. Yeah, I'm digging the AG. But for what you do, I think you also got the right cab!;)

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

That's awesome man. Crazy as it seems! :)

Glad you're enjoying the AG. I think we both ended up with a win/win situation on this deal. I see now that you play a Roscoe, and oh yeah, for sure I think the AG is more suited to bring out the tones of that bass!

14. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    "Need some character" is how I felt about them too. Just not for me, I like to feel the bass. I tried out 4 AG's, they sounded good, but not for me.

For that kind of flat (transparent) responce as most say about the AG's, that'd be okay for PA's or studio, but for stage, gotta have the character or personality.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Looking forward to hearing more about this setup after the two gigs! I am very interested.

16. PLayed thru them again today.
    Damn!!!
    Can't wait until the gig(s) next week!!!:D

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: I'm amazed more and more every day with my El Whappo. I have to agree with everything said here.

I love having the tone of being plugging into a tube pre recording set up in a live situation.... I'm running into an Ashly compressor -> 100% tube head -> El Whappo. It's studio playback but REAL loud :smug:

No issues hearing myself at the jams I've used it at.

18. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Schroeder's and AG's seem to be nearly opposites to me. I think they both fill it's "place" better than the other depending on the situation.

I'm curious what you think about the AG down the road.

19. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying they are the end all of cabs for me. I was totally fine with my Epifani cabs.
    But thus far, just hearing how they can be manipulated to sound exactly like you want (as opposed to other cabs that have their "sound") I'm pretty excited. Given the choice between these and my Epifani 12's, I'm not sure what I would take.

Go for the Epifani sound and deal with the issues that can arise when a cab is tuned a certain way in various clubs/stages. Or a cab that lets me dial in or out exactly what I would want and doesn't offer any (or much at all) sonic signature.

Given the former, it wasn't very often that the Epi's built in sound was an issue. Mostly I loved those things. But the latter's ability to dial in with almost surgical tone changes kind of levels the playing field to get a good tone anywhere.

Let me say though, that no matter what I play through, I will eventually just sound like me. A little knob tweaking, some of this, a bit of that, and there I am.

Sure, sonicly the cabs are totally different, but with the AG's, in the short time I've had them, I've learned that a bit of a different approach is needed when listening to them.

Just think why so many ERB guys use them. From those low F# strings up to high Bb strings they remain tight and true.

I really could hear more of my bass. Not saying that it is always a good thing, sometimes you don't want that honest of a reproduction. But hey, a little knob turning and what I put in came out.

We'll see on the gigs next week. And another rehersal on Sunday will be a second test of the 112.

20. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I had the fortune of being the first to play through the Tri115. Last New Year's Eve I played with Lady Bo at the Cal Neva in the Sinatra Room and coupled it with my Tri112. I'm glad I had the rig that I did since the PA wasn't that great and they ended up just running the vocals and the harmonica through it. I used a Stewart 2.1, a Read Purity preamp and played my Kubicki Factor. It was a great gig and I really loved my sound. The drummer was Floyd Sneed that played with Three Dog Night during the period they had the hits. He complemented me on my sound and playing.

Wally