Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Adler custom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fabio, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Fabio

Fabio

Jun 23, 2005
    I am currently looking to purchase a singlecut bass and I found Adler Custom Guitars. Does anybody own an Adler bass and could you tell me the quaility of the the craftmanship?

My other options are Benavente and R, but Adler is almost a whole thousand dollars cheaper for what I am looking for.
    thanks

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm sure there are at least a few owners of Adler basses here on TB, I believe Gary Goodman's 12 string is an Adler and I'm sure he's right up there with the other luthiers who are capable of building the extreem ERBs (meaning I'm sure he is among the best including the others you mentioned.)

3. Jaquo III-X a member or poster on this forum owns (I believe) more than one Adler and is an endorser. You might PM him. He's VERY helpful and friendly. Buy his CD and you can hear his SUB contra bass guitar!

Hey Jaquo! If you're still willing to send me a CD, I know some people who will give you some airplay on college radio, in the Seattle area if they can talk their program directors into it.
    I'll talk you up!

By the way, does anyone know if Mike Adler's relocated to CA. ?
    Jim T.

4. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    Mike and I have been friends for years but his work speaks for itself. He has Chuck Rainey as an endorser. Chuck could have any bass he wants but he's very happy with the service and attention to detail that Adler Basses gives to every customer. I have a Custom 9 string on order right now! His prices are very fair.I have faith in him as a person and he does what he say's he'll do...that's everything when you invest in a custom instrument. I've seen some of his new finishes and they are stunning! I don't believe as some sellers on Talk Bass that what they sell is the "ONLY" way! If you have a satisfied customer then you've provided that musician with the Tool of his or her dreams.I'd give Mike a call and share your dream! Al Caldwell

5. I'll absolutely back Al up on this. Mike is a top notch luthier and a great guy. while I have nothing against either Benavente and R, I would certainly go with an Adler first. Mike and I have talked about a few designs and I may be joining the illustrious ranks of Jauqu, Garry, Chuck, and Al someday...

from the lows,

Stew

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm also very impressed with adler basses, its a really resonant body wood that worked great for Leo Fender (even when he bleached it white to look like swamp ash) and continues to show up in modern instruments. Long live adler, I say...especially with a nice rosewood fingerboard!

:D
    Sorry, couldn't help it. The Adler *instruments* look nice!

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not an owner but I played several at last summer's NAMM.. All were great basses!!! And Mike's a great guy to boot!

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own 4 Adler Bass guitars and I have 4 in the works with Mike.Mike is a top notch Luthier and one of the most talented ones to come along in a while(I also include Chris B. in this very small but new group).and a very attentive person to detail and he will go out of his way to give you what you want.

1 standerd 4 string
    1 8 string (Low B-High Bb)
    1 Fretless Subcontra Bass (Low C#-E)
    1 Fretted Subcontra Bass (Low C#-E)

9. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    There are some great bass luthiers making great basses.I have played the Adler 11-string and Al Caldwell's 11-string,which is a great instrument.

I have had a chance to play the Adler 4,sub contra 4,5,6,and 8 string basses.All play easily and are comfortable and sound great.He puts the same excellent craftsmanship into every bass he makes.

The famous Adler neck is a plus. Where else could you get a neck that's less than 3/4" thick that doesn't move ,bend or warp?

What I like best about Adler is that he is innovative. (11-string, 12-string)When we couldn't find a guitar string manufacturer that could wind a ball end on a .004 wire,Mike designed and patented a clamping bridge system.When I approched Mike about building a 12-string bass guitar several years ago,he took on the challenge and got it right the first time.

His basses are tough,sturdy and look great.Do I think Adler basses are for everybody? No.The players I've seen using Adler basses seem to be discerning bassists who have specific needs in a bass,and don't want to have to compromise.

10. Mike Adler rules!!! The above posts reflect that. I have not come across a thinner, more stable neck profile than what he features on his basses. :)

Is it true that he is currently auditioning for the huge Broadway hit, "Lease"????????????? :)

JTIWYP!!

11. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Great guy, great basses - you'd be delighted with one of his basses, and he'd do well by you fer sher.

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Did any of you try the new set-neck Adler bass mentioned on the web page?

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Here's a pic of my Adler 8 string.

14. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    It's so.....

....blue!

She's a beauty Jauqo

:cool:

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  16. I grew up on P Basses. I still have my 1st one 1958, still thumping strong. I bought an Adler from Mike at the Namm 06 Show. He made this gorgeous instrument for his wife and I somehow got to buy it. I think he was new to Namm and I bumped into Chuck Rainey on the sidewalk going in that morning and he took me directly to Mikes booth and told me to buy one if I could. I played alot of nice instruments that weekend but kept commig back to Mike's booth. This bass has the most beautiful piece of spalted maple on it and the neck thru slim neck design suits me. He is a very nice guy on top of being a great luthier. I have a Pavel 5er and a Brubaker 5er. I am very parcial to the Adler for my hands because of the thin neck, similar to the old P Basses. You really can't go wrong with an Adler purchase. He will go over the top to please you. I will try to post a pic later.