Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on games.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i've kind of been out of the gaming world for a little while. i lost my MOHAA: allied assault disks, so i'm going to buy it again (just $20) tomorrow. but i have just recently began to go on gaming websites, ect... can anyone reccomend any good PC games they have played? i know Doom 3 just came out, and that Half Life 2 will be out shortly. mostly reccomendations on ones that have multiplayer, but everything good is cool.

2. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Get the latest Warcraft.My friend says it's good.I'm not a games fan though.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Stop while you still can, video games are lame.

(edit: I should note, I say this only because I recently got hooked on a few games, and well...I feel like I should be doing something else! )

That said, the best PC game ever made*, www.s2games.com <-savage

*this is the only game I've been able to come back to time and time again and have it still be just as fun as when I first played it

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If your into combat games and have a fast machine, check out Far Cry. One of the best graphics engines Ive ever seen.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's a multiplayer only game and it's free to download. Hard to beat it for free.

brad cook

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will eat your computer. No, I'm not kidding.

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yes, Enemy Territory is the best multiplayer FPS out right now, PLUS it's a free standalone game. Also, ETF will be out shortly.

I wouldn't rush out and buy Doom3 right away, seeing as how the multiplayer lacks. I would wait and compare HL2 multi with Doom3 when the time comes. Valve makes promising games, but they usually turn them into garbage with updates (like they did with the original HL with the new netcode).

So Play ET now and wait for those other games. Also, if you don't have a Geforce 6800 Ultra, then just forget it (Doom3 and HL2, not ET). There won't be a point until you upgrade.

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    well, yeah, i know Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will eat up your computer. i actually heard that Doom 3 does run fine on lower graded computers, but i also heard that you have to either play it smaller, or set it on lower quality (which is supposed to still look amazing) if you don't have a $4000 dollar computer.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My brother has been playing doom3 on low-mid settings on our gaming PC, it chugs along okay, not too well though. It's a pretty burly PC, it *was* top of the line 2 years ago, geforce 4600 w. 128 VRAM, 2.8 P4, 1 GB DDR ram.

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sure you can play it on 640x480 low quality, but there's no point in spending money on a game to do that.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. You're lookin' at 2 gigs of RAM and a ATI Radeon 9800 (or the G-Force equivalent) to do anything worth doing with Doom 3.

Shame, really. One of the only games I'm even vaugely looking forward to (the only other one is GTA: San Andreas).

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Actually, the Doom3 engine doesn't require that much RAM or Processing power. Anything higher than 1.8 Ghz should be fine. 2GB of RAM is overkill, 1GB is more than enough for Doom3.

An ATI Radeon 9800 however, is garbage for this game. A minimum of a Geforce 6800 (non ultra) is required to fully enjoy this game.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    WHat's that?

brad cook

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I recommend Call of Duty, it came out earlier this year and is a WWII fps and it is very good both in single and multi player.

Me digs it!

15. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Enemy Territory Fortress, Team Fortress mod, basically Q3F ported to ET.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sweet...let me know when it's out.

brad cook

17. City of Heros. Very cool game. Sold like 180,000 copies in 3 months or something like that.

My character is the blue guy, kinda looks like Ace from the ambiguously gay duo.

The team pic is a few of the members of the supergroup. Most are musicans around the wichita area

18. last pic.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  20. My friends P4 2.8GHz/HT with 1GB DDR PC3200 RAM, ATi Radeon 9800 pro, dual WD Raptors in raid-0...and DOOM3 looks pretty but still lags (quite negligably) but nonetheless noticeably.