1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Alesis MasterLink ML-9600

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Correlli, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Alesis MasterLink ML-9600

Anyone had experience with this product?

Does this product replace DAW setups, or is it used in conjunction? eg mix audio clips via DAW, and master audio tracks using Alesis MasterLink ML-9600

To me, it seems to be a much better way to master your audio tracks and burn CD's.

Cheers for any comments

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=4

2. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    I have one. They aren't without issues but it works for me. The biggest issue with mine has been the cd-r drive. I've replaced it 3 times in as many years but I use it nearly every day.
    It really comes down to how you work. Most people that use them will agree that ideally you should bypass the analog side and avoid the SRC and FX. So, in that sense, it's not too different from a DAW. I've used the analog side and it's usable but certainly not on par with Apogee, Lavry, Mytek, Lucid, Benchmark, etc.
    Normal practice for me is to send a mix from my DAW via AES/EBU into the Masterlink and monitor through a Benchmark DAC-1, and keeping the SR at 44.1k. I use the Masterlink to fine tune the level, dither down to 16 bit, and burn the CD.
    It's just the ticket if you want to insert a hardware compressor in the mix bus too.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Interesting stuff. Thanks!

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have one that I use a couple of ways.

1) As a "quick and dirty" way to record practice sessions, it works great. The HD is a little noisy, but still fine. What's nice about it is that you can edit the files, toss out what you don't want, and keep what you do. The FX are not the greatest, but the limiter isn't hald bad if you don't crank the level.

2) As a mixdown deck for Digital Performer files to burn them to CD.

It's really easy to use, and makes life a lot simpler when you need to do things in a hurry.