1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ALLEN & HEATH GOOD MIXING BOARD?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Dave44, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Gonna start shopping around for a mixer. I've been told Allen & Heath is a good buy. Anybody familiar with these mixers? Do they stant up well to the rigors of club dates etc.?

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    yes
    yes
    yes

I really like em...very user friendly...logical layout
    a first choice for small club mixer!

3. Powered or unpowered? I've used powered boards before and I must admit I love them. No muss no fuss just plug in and go.

4. We use an unpowered A&H. It's fine.. never had any problems with it.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Never used one, but know guys who do and they are nice boards.

6. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I´d say they´re OK for the money. Not stellar considering the sound and features, but good "bang-for-buck-ratio". Doing sound for a living, I consider most A&H boards "budget" (excluding only the very high-end models).

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Our band bought one a couple months ago, and it's fine for the money (and for what we need it do).

Ours has some built-in reverb pre-sets that I'm sure are not as good of quality as a dedicated outboard unit, but they're functional enough (cover/bar band, it's not like our crowds notice that stuff much anyway).

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was in a band that had a powered 12 channel board. Very nice but 'so many knobs'!! LOL! Switchable impedance, decent built in effects. Mid range power (I believe 2x500w amps)

9. I just used one of them Mixwizard things last night for the first time.

Seemed alright for that sort of level of mixer. 6 aux's, nice long throw faders, decent EQ, phantom power selectable per channel. The effects were kind of goofy, but whatever.

Thing is actually modular(at least the channel strips), which I don't think I've ever seen on a board this cheap before.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    A and H are really good boards. I think Yamaha is a better bang for the buck and has really good built in effects. A & H are very good boarda, very clean and quiet..faders and construction is quality. I think the mixwiz I was looking at was somewhat pricey IMO without any effects built in though. Not sure of the model so we went with Yamaha.

11. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I love the A & H stuff - not as fancy or high end as the $$$ Midas stuff, but very good, and much better than what you normally find at clubs. Great features, too.

Ricplaya - funny you mention the Yamaha. What model? For 2 years I did sound at a club here in NYC that has an MG24fx console. My take? Crappy preamps, a harsh midrange bump to the EQ, and cheesy construction. Literally, something new would break every week even after casual use.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You can tweak the effects via computer interface, but I always thought they were a little goofy too. My MixWiz served me fine for the couple of years I owned it, but IMO the GL series is a worthy upgrade if you have the dough.

Thing is actually modular(at least the channel strips), which I don't think I've ever seen on a board this cheap before.

That was a big bonus in my eyes, along with the per-channel phantom assignment.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

I have the MG CX model. It's not a high end model, but a good bang for the buck. Decent effx, and I didn't notice anything really cheap. It's a clean sounding board and good for the price and adequate. A&H stuff is better quality the the entry level Yammie stuff, but from I remember A&H is twice the amount of money with no effx.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The MixWiz does have onboard EFX. There's a MIDI interface for EFX editing via A&H's free editing/librarian app. Many of the other newer A&H boards have EFX, but many don't as well.

15. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Peraonally, I would get soundcraft instead. But that's just me. I have seen too many problems with the A&H. But being fair, I have only used the GL3,4, and 4000's. Lots of solder joint problems due to the design. Connectors are soldered onto a circuit board, so after alot of plugging, unplugging they tend to fracture. I had a mixwiz for awhile, it was decent for the money. Head and shoulders above mackie or behringer, but soundcraft is my favorite budget console today.

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Been gigging w/ one for a year now almost every weekend and we wouldn't trade it for another.
    I'm running Crown amps and JBL mains and monitors w/ it.

17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    After limping along with an inadequate Yamaha board for the past few years, I recently upgraded to an Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:2. To my ears, the A&H channel-strip pre-amps sound significantly better than the Yamaha.

With the A&H I have 6 auxes; I'm using auxes 1-4 for separate monitor mixes, 5 for effects, and 6 to drive aux-fed sub-woofers.

The only thing I miss from the Yamaha mixer is the provision of compression on several of the channel strips; time to invest in outboard compression fopr the A&H.

18. when ever i get a chance to work on a&h i love it...

19. I work for an A/V rental company. We have a few A&H boards, and I like them pretty well. They're not top of the line stuff like Midas, but for 90% of stuff that you're likely to do, you should be just fine.

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I swear I was looking at a mix wiz with no efx, I must be wrong. The AH was around 1000.00 USD, I remember the Yammie being a little over half of what that cost with efx. AH are great boards no doubt.