1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Am I wrong?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deeptubes, May 12, 2011.

1. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    A guy in the Fender Forum wanted to know what gear the bassist from the band Europe used on tour in 1986. I dogged him a little bit, all in good fun - used laughing emoticons not shown here. This was my response:

Who cares? Europe sucked! :lol:

Do you really expect someone to remember what gear an insignificant bassist from an insignificant band played on an insignificant tour named after an insignificant song 25 years ago?! :lol:

Everyone got bent out of shape. Am I wrong for displaying a sense of humor?

2. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

:D:hyper::):eyebrow:must not have sense of humor on talkbass

3. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    U mad bro ?

4. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Dude be yourself, there are aloof unhappy folks on TB. they have pretty thin skin and no sense of humor. You can make any comment you want at my expense and if it's funny I'll enjoy it. The ones who don't are just angry that they aren't clever enough to dish it back.

5. I dunno- I moreless agree on the band, but if I can't genuinely contribute to a thread wherein someone is asking a specific question, I don't feel any need to reply. TB's OT is a great place for acting a fool; elsewhere I try to keep my idiocy a secret.

Edit: This might not belong in basses- more OT or misc, i'd think.

6. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Am I the only one that came away thinking the OP had an unhappy encounter on the FENDER FORUM, not TB?

7. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Fender forum is bound to be an unhappy place! All of those people whose basses need extensive upgrades in one place!

8. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    people have a hard time distinguish sarcasm in forums/email/text. that's why i always like to use /sarcasm!

9. Oooh! Zing!

Edit: I'm on my way just now to the shop to pick up my Fender Jazz Special after some upgrades..

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

+1 to bassteban

I think that you are right about Europe - the singer in our band came by some free tickets to one of their UK shows in London and offered them to the rest of us. He had no takers - we all reckoned it was a waste of a tube fare.

However, the fact that someone cares enough about the band, or their bassist, to try and dig out some trivial info, should clue you in to the fact that they must have quite a bit of respect, or even love and affection, for the band.

When you take shots at something people believe strongly in, it shouldn't really be a surprise that you're also taking shots at their self-esteem and credibility in a very public and potentially humiliating way. Shouldn't really come as a surprise either if people get upset with that, either because they agree with the Europe fan or just that they don't like seeing people needlessly trashed.

Live and let live is what I say, if you've nothing constructive to say, don't say it

11. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    LOL!

Isn't Talkbass PRACTICALLY the Fender Forum?

"war in the Middle East? A P-bass with flats and a tort guard will sort that..."

12. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Dude - The Final Countdown!!! Gob Bluth's theme song.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think this does relate to the Fender Forum - so here on TB people are chatting and having a laugh, within reasonable boundaries, of course.

But the Fender Forum is something that you get to from Fender's official website and is like their "Customer Service" - so there are so many millions of Fender owners around the world that Fender couldn't have a call-centre to answer every question about Fenders.

But they do have this website where you can ask specific questions about Fender basses and get helpful replies.

I remember when I first went there, it was after I had bought a Roscoe Beck V and I couldn't get strings to fit through the body - I really wanted an answer, from somebdoy who knew what they were talking about and I went to the Fender Forum and was able to get good advice from Fender employees who frequent the forum.

I can imagine, if I had just got replies along the lines of "Roscoe Beck sucks LOL" - then I would have been pretty annoyed!!

Later, I discovered that the Fender Forum does actually have sections for humour etc. and later still I discovered TB which is much more fun! ;)

14. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    It never hurts to hang back and check out the general "vibe" of a specific forum before you post.
    The first time I checked out the Double Bass side of Talkbass I was so freaked out I had to email a couple of people that seemed to make the most sense and ask what the flip was going on! Thanks, Paul and Ed for orienting me! :)

15. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Hay Deep Tubes,

I don't think they were responding to your humor.
    I think they were responding to what they perceived
    as a negative, uncalled for statement.

The forums are just loaded with folks that have nothing
    better to do than criticize other folks for what ever
    reason. They usually have nothing to contribute.

It don't matter.

Negativism just causes negative reactions,

Tabdog

16. I have to admit I would have ignored you and considered you disrespectful for discounting a question the OP took the time to type; I just would not have replied to your comments as that takes the subject off topic. In some cases the people complaining make it worse than the original offender.

17. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    +1 more. If I'm not mistaken the same rules sort of apply here. If you don't have something to contribute toward the thread you shouldn't reply. If the OP had posted "What do you think of Europe?" your comment would be on-thread.

I don't know if I'd have been put out of sorts if it was my OP. Most likely it would depend on my mood at the time.

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    "Insignificant" band?? Europe sold more than 20 million records. I'll take some of that insignificance, thank you. A double helping, please.

People don't like it when others rag on their musical taste. What's so hard to understand about that? I'm happy to tell anyone who will listen what an absolutely awful band the Rolling Stones are. But when people get bent out of shape over my saying that, and believe me they do, I don't act all surprised about it.

19. GreenAlsatian

GreenAlsatian

Jul 24, 2008
    Old Blighty
    Wrong? No. Misplaced? Yes.

I know from serving as a moderator on other forums, that some people will say something nasty to another member, hiding behind emoticons as a get-out clause to say they were joking. Sometimes it is just a bit of banter, but as people can get pretty defensive about things like music and it can often be construed as a personal insult, as is the case here. Then all hell breaks loose and the thread becomes a mess.

The best thing to remember is that your humour, even though you've labelled it so with smilies, might not be taken as such by others and sometimes, you'll be taken to task by it. Knowing when and where humour is appropriate is the trick - in threads where people are asking for help/advice, jokes are unhelpful and often unwelcome. (check out any thread relating to Gene Simmons and his gear in here!)

Imagine you're in a pub and someone's about to sit down and you whip the seat way as a joke. Would you be suprised if they punched you in the mouth? (an extreme example, I know! ;) )

20. If people need help with something and I have the answer or the time to find it for them I will if not, I do not respond to the thread. It is hard enough reading through answer from people who say I don't know or maybe I think it was this but I not sure!
    Don't post if you don't know. Jokes are for the joke area. You should have looked at how the thread vibe was going as someone else said. Bashing a band someone else likes isn't helpful or funny so why do it. Bashing bass players here is a not acceptable and that is what you did and the same rule I'm sure applies to the Fender website