1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

american made or japan made???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 27_kicks, Mar 31, 2009.

1. black pickguard

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. black body

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. American made

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  4. Japan made

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  5. different body color

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. different pickguard color

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. mexican

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. rosewood neck

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  9. black PEARL pickguard

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. differen model

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 27_kicks

27_kicks

Jan 19, 2009
    Hey. So I'm getting a new bass....upgrading from a schecter diamond series c-4 to, for sure, a fender jazz bass. I've played both, but I can't find the difference between the American made and Japan made J basses. Is there somthing I should know about them that sets them apart? Or am I paying for the higher wages americans make? any help at all would be GREAT:meh:

THANKS

please check out the poll that goes with this!

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Well, American made basses are made with higher quality and more time. If you have the cash, go American. If not, go import. Theyre great basses too, I know from experience. The used market is your friend, also.

And when you say P.S no matter what it's got a maple neck, black body., Im guessing you mean it must have those. If so, I say go either Geddy Lee Jazz or MIA Jazz.

The pickguard color is for you to decide.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    just voted Japan+Black+Blac+Rose

4. A MIA or MIM is a product of a Fender factory. MIJ is outsourced, I believe. That said, the MIJ Fenders are great players.

but when it comes to resale value, nothing beats MI good ol US of A...

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Japan made are amazing.

6. hargmalone

hargmalone

Nov 30, 2008
    KY
    I've had Fenders made in all three places...USA, Japan, and Mexico. The USA model is going to have better wood and hardware. For me personally, that makes it a no-brainer.
    Oh yeah, my friend had a Japan built Jazz Bass that the neck was no good on...He never did get the buzz out, even after filing the frets. U.S. will hold value better than either of the other two also.

My 2 cents...
    MP

7. Japan!!

Go Japan!

in my opinion and experience I feel MIA's aren't as good as they should be ...i've had a few MIA Fenders in my hands and it seems that they're too concerned with cutting costs to build a good axe...

what other company charges you $3000 (AUD) for an instrument which loses its a ferrule when you change strings (then won't replace it unless you buy 4), constantly needs height adjustments, has a truss rod which will only straighten the neck from the 12th fret back to the nut, has knobs that slip and pots that need tightening when you get it home, tuners which were clearly installe without tools of rules, has strap buttons which both fell out during a gig (alder bodies are very soft....i had to install longer screws), and the cavities are all full of polishing residue.

i almost had to rebuild the darn thing....does anyone think i just got a bad one?

so, yeh, go japan. i have one of these too.....much better build and the finish is harder than bakelite.

8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Everyone can make crap regardless of the country of origin. Depends on the individual companies quality control. I've had winners and losers form most countries that make instruments. The only way to be sure is to get the bass in your hands.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've owned both American and Japanese made Fender basses. Currently only have a MIA Dlx P, which, for my money, is a top rate bass. My Japanese made Fenders were both Jazz's, and they were both great, "for the money". Maybe because my current bass is a Deluxe model, but the fit and finish are absolutely spot on perfect. The MIA does hold it's value should you ever decide to let it go.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Not knowing any better I played a side by side MIA & MIM in a GC in Southfield, MI (in 2002). The MIA was exceptional, so I bought it. I went through about 2 dozen Fenders around town, was looking specifically for a new instrument, (though I did flirt w/ a few used ones) wanted a 3-tone and found one that I like, and it is still a really nice instrument.

I would have a hard time letting it go.

I have no idea what the MIJ ones are like.