1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 1970's V4 Cab tests

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnk_10, Apr 9, 2009.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Since i have three of these cabs set up right now ( & they all have different types of speakers in them), i thought it would be a good chance for me to make some a/b/c comparison tests with them:

3V4_s-3-800.

Cab #1- Loaded with four Eminence neo deltalite series II's (with JBL aluminum dust caps). a great sounding cab. extremely punchy in the mid bass. a little less highs than the vintage square mag cab, but tighter sounding overall. not quite as clear sounding as cab #2, but probably the best one for gigging with as the tight mid bass would help it cut thru the mix.

Cab #2- Original speakers (but reconed in '85) heavy duty Eminence w/square mags.results- this is an incredible sounding cabinet! full through the entire spectrum, punchy, with a beautiful top end. super clear sounding no signs of farting out before a V4 head will. without playing it in a live band situation, and for recording, this is my favorite sounding cab of the three. not sure if it has a little more subs than the deltalite cab, but it seems to. probably because it has a little less mid bass though. this is also the loudest cab (most efficient) of the three, but only by a small margin. it sounds more like an early straightback 8x10 SVT cab than any other cab that i've heard and its vintage tone brought a big smile to my face.

Cab #3= four original light duty (approx 30-40 watt) Ampeg 12's with original cones and small round magnets with small voice coils.
    results- great tone with a very clear and smooth high end, but can get a little bit cloudy in the mid bass when pushed. i didn't allow them to fart out but they would if pushed a little harder. i was actually surprised how good these light duty speakers sound and probably are incredible for guitarists.

The most amazing sound was when i ran the V4B head thru cab#1 and cab #2 at the same time! it is easily as loud as my SVT with an 8x10. with a V4B and 8x12's, it has tons of headroom, extremely punchy & ballsy but clean. this is the most transparent and the best sounding rig of all of my ampeg setups.

just thought that i'd share my findings on these great old cabs.............

regards,

GreaserMatt likes this.
  2. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful! How much does that 4x12 weight with the new Neo speakers?

3. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    74 lbs.

4. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    very rad. this is awesome!!!!!

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    You're making me gas for a V4 and two V4 cabs loaded with neo deltalites. Can it get that creamy screamy overdrive when pushing two of those cabs?

Jones, an obession of burning desire.

-Benny

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Hi Benny, yes, it can, but it has to come from the head as with two cabs, it doesn't show any signs of breaking up the speakers, so you'd have to really crank it. with using one cab (either one), you can easily get an overdrive sound, but its also at a pretty loud volume.

7. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I think you should send all three to me for further testing. I'll even pay shipping and I'll take the worst one off your hands:D

Very Nice!

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm actually going to sell one of the V4 cabs and the two V4 heads pretty soon. i just don't need (or have room) for all these ampegs right now. plus, i could use the funds to buy more of them :smug:. at the ripe old age of 55, its more like a hobby for me to restore old amps. i must say that i'll miss them though, since i've had almost all of them for a long time (20-25 years). i'll probably list them in the talkbass classifieds in a week or so.

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thanks a ton! I play in a loud band with two guitarists who usually use half stacks but at times use full stacks depending upon PA support and venue size, their heads ranging in power from 100 watts to 120 watts tube (sometimes more). Cranking it would most likely be the case, and two would be nice :D.

Have you mated these cabs with other cabs to see what comes of it? Just a thought I had, as tracking down two may prove a bit harder than many other cabs.

You said that it's 74lbs with the neo deltalites, what are the external dimms?

Thank you again.

-Benny

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    30" H x 27" W x 14" D

they aren't all that hard to find.

11. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Stupid question, are all V-4s for bass or guitar? Are all of them 4X12s?

I meant are a "V-4 cabinets" for bass or guitar..

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    AFAIK all V4 heads and 4x12 cabs were meant for guitar (they have reverb), but some of the cabs came with altecs or heavy duty Eminence speakers which can be used for bas. the V4B was the bass amp version and came with a 2x15 folded horn cab.

13. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well, I am going tomorrow to buy a V4 cab. How do I know if it can handle bass? What should I ask before I make the trip and spend the dough?

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you might ask if it has the original speakers in it (they will have date codes on them) and for a description of them (i.e.-square or round magnets, voice coil diameter, altecs etc.) but often, sellers don't really know (or care). i would just hook an amp up to it with a bass and listen to it at a fairly loud volume to see if there are any problems (voice coil rub/distortion etc). it should sound really good if it has the original speakers in it.

15. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I asked for hum to unscrew one speaker and take a photo. He doesn't know, or care like you said. I am just worried about getting some lightweight speaker that doesnt handle...

16. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    how much is the cab going for?

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    A couple of questions from a fellow V4b user.

• What kind of gig do you use your V4b on and with which cab?
    • Have you ever run 2 v4b rig together (2V4b+2cabs) and if so how did it sound and how much headroom/volume when compared to the SVT?

18. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    one V4B head and two 4x12 cabs sounds and feels as loud as my SVT/810 rig.

19. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    John, the fella wants $325. I would replace grillcloth, but he said it works great. He used it for guitar.

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    How clean vs the SVT at the same volume?