1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg Portaflex- I'm so undecided

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by japerritt, Jan 23, 2012.

1. japerritt

japerritt

Jan 23, 2012
    Yet another which amp and cab to buy question, but my question may be a bit different because I can't try any of them out before I buy them. The only music store close to me sells only behringer, and thats not what I want. I've been borrowing a bassamp (yorkville bassmaster 400 combo) for the last 2 years (I moved from lapsteel to bass), and my buddy got his amp back this weekend.. So I gotta buy a amp tomorow online so that I have it for friday nights gig (small party outdoors) and a small bar gig saturday. I figured I'd buy buy the gear from MF, if I can't work with it I'll use my 45 satisfaction garantee.

I've spent about 24 hours the past 3 days researching which amp I should buy (spending most of that 24 hours here). Yes, I've used the search function hundreds of times.. I've narrowed down my choices to either a PF350 head or a PF500 head. For cabs I've narrowed down to the PF115HE. I will start with a single 15 cab and get another one later, if I need more volume. With the choice, I'm torn between the 350 and 500. I'm wondering if I buy the 500, will it be too much power for the b115e cab if I get that cab, which is rated at 200rms watts (I think its $400 peak). Would I be better suited getting the 350 head if I get the b115e? Again, I'll add another 115 later(matching cab). I rarely play large gigs and when I do I have full PA support with quality subs. I'm iffy about the PF115HE cabs flip top. The corners aren't protected, I notice MF has a used one now for sale thats all banged up, which is exactly what concerns me. I like the idea of the top flipping an all, it looks cool, but will the top actually still be in one piece in 10 years? Will the 4 clips that hold the the top on still be there and all working? Maybe I'm worrying about nothing.. So thats the only reason I'm thinking of going with the the b115e cab instead of the pf115he.

Back to the heads.. I'm not sure I'll ever use or need the extra 150 watts in the 500 head. I'm just torn. What ya think.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If your budget extends to getting a PF500, then you are getting more tonal flexibility and professional options for a slightly higher cost over that of the PF350. It is a better amp. If budget is an issue, then go with the more affordable option.

Is the PF500 too powerful? Just turn down the volume and use your ears to determine if you are overextending your cab. Basically use common sense.

3. japerritt

japerritt

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks for the input.. I understand I can back the power down. My concern is the pf500 with the b115e cab, is the pf500 to much for those cabs. I don't want a bottle neck at the speakers, thus my reasoning for wondering if I should stick with the pf350 amp.

4. Like horsepower, you can't have too many watts. I'd rather have available power on tap and not need it than neeed it and not have it any day.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yup. The 500 is NOT too powerfeul. Don't get the 'smaller' amp and regret it.

6. japerritt

japerritt

Jan 23, 2012
    Alright.. The pf500 it is.. I was leaning that way all day long, but my tight ass was trying to justify not spending the extra $100. I got the money, just hate to spend it! Now I'm left trying to decide between the 2 cab I've mentioned, the b115e or the pf115he. The PF looks sweet and I read it sounds close to identical to the b115e, I'm just concerned about how long it will actually hold up.

I will add that my buddies are all suggesting I get the B410 ampeg cab. I keep justifying the 115 in my mind because of weight and size.

7. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, it kind of depends on how much air you need to move, and how strong your back is. The 410 will make the 115 sound like a wimp, IMO. Make no mistake. A 410 will kick. It will be louder and have more stage presence/projection than a 115.

8. +1 but, 2 pf115 cabs will rock it hard. I'd go with the pf115, then grab another later if needed.
    If thinking of sticking with one cab, I'd go for a 4 ohm 410 such as the SVT 410HE

9. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Probably too late to count but as a current owner of a PF350, I'd say go the PF500. I'd rather have the extra wattage up my sleeve when needed as these class D amps tend to cut out when pushed past their level too often. I'm getting a PF500 myself actually.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    The 410HE is 8 ohms, the 410HLF is 4 ohms **

It'd be kind of silly to buy two unmatched cabs when you can get the equivalent of a serious 410/215 with two PF210 or PF115. Trust me, that's a serious rig. I might be selling but I'm still a fan!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I remain quite happy with my PF350. Wouldn't mind a PF500 at some point but I can get my favorite sounds with the PF350 and I don't need a full featured DI since I always mic. But for cabs, that's a no-brainer to me. The PF115he is one of the best cabs they've ever come out with. Small and sealed but has a big low end and sounds very much like a cross of the early 60's B-15 cabs and the bigger 70's B-15 cabs. The B115e is a good cab too, but I like the smaller size and black diamond tolex ;)

12. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    1. Don't worry about having too much power. The PF500 does have a volume knob- you can always turn down ;) Just depends if the extra bells and whistles are worth the $100 for you. If money's tight - the 350 is just fine. I went with the 500 for the extra juice and the extra EQ flexibility.

2. I'm confused about what you mean - the PF cab corners are unprotected? :confused: They should have chrome metal corners on them just like all other Ampeg cabs.

3. The latches are better than the old suitcase style latches found on all the old fliptops from the 60's- and many of us are still gigging original cabs with original latches with no problems! :D

13. japerritt

japerritt

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I held off on ordering until this morning, since MF woudn't ship it out until today anyway. I'll be going with the PF500 and the PF115HE!

Stiles, As far as the corners of the cab not being protected. The back of the flip top doesn't appear to have the chrome corner protectors. That was my concern.

14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It is a pretty sturdy cab. The lack of back top corners isn't too big an issue. It would look a bit odd if they had them there. Just try not to bash it around there.

It is good idea to buy or make a vinyl cover for the cabinet. It protects it against small dings and keeps the dust off.

15. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I highly revommend the pf115he. I have 2 of them for my pf500 but find i dont need the second one very often. I also got good padded covers from D2F covers from ebay and they protect them very well.

16. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Like Jimmy, I went for the PF-350. The PF-500 has too many knobs for my taste :) I played it through a 4 ohm cab, so I got the most bang-for-the-buck. I got all the tone and volume I needed from it.

IMO the PF-350 would do nicely with an 8 ohm PF155he and adding a second cab would give most players the volume they need. Just MHO.

17. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Huh - Guess I'm so used to looking at mine from the front I forgot the lid extends all the way to the back! :ninja: I wouldn't worry about them too much - and like David mentioned, it's always a good to have a slip cover for the cab if possible.

18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Definitely try the SVT-210AE cabs before deciding what to match to your PF-500! Stack a pair of them (vertically) and compare them to a pair of PF-115 cabs. Crank’em up loud! The 210 cabs sound great to these ears! Affordable too.

:bassist: