1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg qauilty improved?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by epic!, Apr 23, 2010.

1. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    I havent experienced this first hand, but have read that the quality of new Ampeg products isnt up to par. Have things improved yet? I really want an SVT CL or VR, however if Im spending that much money I want to make sure its not going to crap out.

2. i purchased an Ampeg combo amp in 2007 and I was not happy with the quality. It had weird vibrating sounds as if something was loose. The replacement amp of the same model wasn't that much better either.

my new amp is also an Ampeg. the svt micro. i am very happy with the quality of this amp. i bought this early this year. it sounds good, looks good, and quality is much better compared to my purchase back in 2007.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my 2007 SVT VR (made in veitnam) has been perfect ever since i bought it.

4. BassfromPA

BassfromPA

Apr 23, 2010
    I would check and see where it was made. The Fender amp I had replaced was made in Indonesia and is a mass produced product. What that means is that they're cheap to manufacture and cheap to replace when one does fail. What that means for us is that the quality controls aren't up to par on a good many of them. Fender, Crate, Ampeg etc still make their high end ones here I'm pretty sure and they undergo better checks from what I understand (have a friend who runs a repair shop). So if its high end, I wouldn't worry about it, if its a mass produced amp, you might end up with a large paper weight.

Case in point, I had a Crate that worked for about a year before it needed to be fixed (a 50 mile round trip to their repair guy who operated out of his garage). The tech failed to fix it so it went back (another 50 mile round trip) and when it failed again, they replaced it with an Ampeg BA115 which I was told was an "upgrade." Couple of months, the output FETs blew. I decided the amp wasn't worth fixing since I only paid about $250 for the Crate and had already put so much hassle into it. I took the loss and I'm working to fix the ampeg as a learning experience. Having opened that amp now and worked with the board, it is pretty shoddy work so I'm not surprised that it doesn't work.

5. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Isn't Ampeg due to release a line made in the USA again? I thought I read something about that....

6. yeah, they've already released their "heritage" line which is made in USA.
    the appearance doesn't really appeal to me personally tho. and they cost more.

7. Well that bit us right in the butt.

They export their products claiming it'll be cheaper for us.

When they bring production back stateside, it's $400 more expensive than the import stuff, which didn't get cheaper.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

I'm sticking with GK or if I need an Ampeg, I'm buying used.

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    My recent experience :
    I backordered and finally got an svt2-Pro and sent it back fast, It just didn't work .
    I then received the svT vr, not for me fan too loud and 2nd channel noisey. sent it back ......
    Finally I bought what everybody said was the best and is...the sVTCL....no issues....fan is quiet and its the best amp....I think that Ampegs quality control is still up and down, no matter where it was made. the lesson I learned is to keep your boxes, packing material and take the 30 days to live with the amp. I refuse to fix up or get a brand new amp "looked at". Send it back and get something else.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    My Vietnam SVT VR has been faultless since I purchased it, and must have done over fifty hard gigs and trips by now. My experience was both similar and opposite to that of Waleross above, I initially ordered an SVT CL but wouldn't even take it out of the shop door because of a noisy fan and some intermittent type of signal problem. They brought in a VR and I haven't stopped grinning since.

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    or have they been out and I just missed em from not shopping for any Ampeg products anymore? I saw these PN-xxx? PR410 cabs in some online store ads. Says they are Neo cabs designed and made in the USA, bout 60lbs. A lighter than 100+ pounds, PR410 would be pretty cool. I had one years ago and really liked that cab, drove it with a GK1001.

Never been a fan of Ampeg heads or most of their cabs but that cab impressed me. A local guy was selling, he said, a very good condition, older 410pro for $250. I'm pretty dang sure its gonna be that heavy mother. Still, just might look for that ad again but again, a Neo PR410 could be cool. If its quality stuff like back in the day. Anyone check out that cab yet?

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Announced at NAMM. I haven't seen them in stores yet so I can't comment on comparability with the PR410.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    but first off its lighter....big mother of a plus there.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there was a time when loud first moved to vietnam that i thought they were way more hit and miss than they are now. of course, i haven't played every single ampeg amp ever made so i have no idea what their failure rate actually is, but i've been pleasantly surprised with the newer ampeg stuff i've gotten as rentals, whereas before the loud stuff i got was hit and miss.

just remember that all amp makers will have duds now and then, and if you have a concern about the newer stuff, there's still tons of vintage stuff out there that costs less.