Ampeg Rocket Bass Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kranahan, Mar 29, 2021.

1. motron

motron

Apr 30, 2015
    You are correct. Height and Width are reversed in those dimensions. Height is 22.4 and Width is 20.2.

EncoremMP likes this.
  2. signine

signine

Oct 2, 2021
    The 110 is feather light, but I think it's quite a bit larger than the OC50 in terms of dimensions. Just checked and it isn't. OC50 is 19x17x10 @ 32lbs and the RB110 is 16x19x13 @ 22lbs.

Robf likes this.
  3. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Place it in 4th because, IMHO, it sounds like ya tossed a wool blanket over it while playing. In fact, my R100 was sent to the showers when the RB112 moved in.

To me, it’s not even a close comparison; the Ampeg’s miss to my ears are more open and it’s less boxy as a whole. Plus, it sounds like an Ampeg which is my tone, and many others too!

4. Robf

Robf Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Fremont, CA, USA
    That's good to hear! I only have two combos and the OC50 is by far the heaviest, it's heavier than my 115 cabinet.

5. pgpete

pgpete

Nov 18, 2018
    Australia
    Who wants to look inside the new Ampeg Rocket Bass RB-210?

IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0725.JPG IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0731.JPG

seamonkey, BluBasPlr, mikew31 and 4 others like this.
  6. pgpete

pgpete

Nov 18, 2018
    Australia
    Postscript: - I found that the screws mounting the amp to the enclosure weren't as tight as i would expect. considering this is going to be a high vibration environment I suggest people go over their amp and just tweak all the screws on the amp up a little bit - they don't have to be super-tight - but tight enough to stop them loosening under vibration.

My verdict on the 210. - compared to my gig rig (SVT 7 Pro /HLF 410 H)
    Its loud enough for practice/rehearsal with guitarist and drummer etc - it doesn't have the same heft and bottom end as my gig gear but its not bad - I'd be tempted to use it in small-room gigs, ie with a vocal PA and acoustic drums.
    The tone is great and the amp is clean (ie no hum, buzz, or crackles)
    The SGT circuit is great - it sounds *so* much better than the scrambler circuit in the SCR-DI - I actually might use the SGT circuit, whereas the scrambler is a joke.
    The weight - at 17KG it weighs only a third ( 33%) of my gig rig. for most people the RB-210 is the allrounder you can use for home practice, rehearsal and small gigs and its only the bigger gigs where you might want a bigger rig.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 12:56 AM
  7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Thanks for this -- I always enjoyed peering inside my amps, tho I really don't know what the heck is going on in there or how to service anything.
    I mainly get a thrill out of the fact that amp guts look like mini science-fiction cities.

6stringtheorist likes this.
  8. Le beau JP

Le beau JP

Jan 24, 2020
    Granby, Quebec
    Hey guys!! Just bought a RB210 a week ago.

at first I was blown by the tone! Plenty of thump and that typical Ampeg tone. Sits well when playing with a friend guitarist or small band reheasals.

but today The honey moon ended.

i just figured out the tweeter is really noisy (hiss in the background all the time)

and if the volume is cranked past 1 oclock I get input clipping + speaker farting.

very disappointed since i dont think it will actually handle full band practice nor live gigs in small to medium bars (without PA support).

I plugged in my Mesa Subway 115 cab as an extension and didnt really helped with volume nor headroom.

is my amp factory defect? Or is it just the way its meant to be?

otherwise I really love the tone and the SGT is killer with no lowend loss at all

i use a passive American original 60s jazz bass

thanks guys!

9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    If adding an extension speaker didn't add any volume as you say than I would imagine there is indeed a defect ... because this is unimaginable otherwise unless you are using a faulty speaker cable.
    Guessing you did put your ear to the Mesa 115 to see if there was any sound coming out, yes?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    shoot-r and Le beau JP like this.
  10. Le beau JP

Le beau JP

Jan 24, 2020
    Granby, Quebec
    i sure did.

but since i put the Ampeg on top of the 115, when you playing standing up you hear mainly the 210. But I didnt felt any low end add up, and in fact the 210 speaks louder than the 115.
    maybe I should get a PF210 (if it exists) as an extension cab. Maybe it would be a better match.

11. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I don't think it should fart out at 1 O'Clock, that's for sure. I tried running my RB-210 on top of a 212 and there was a noticeable increase in volume. I wonder if your amp is faulty.

My tweeter is noisy too.

Le beau JP likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Just because a knob goes up to 5:30 doesn’t make it a good idea. Most as amps I’ve used, including others, won’t let you turn them up all the way without distortion happening.

Greenstreet and pgpete like this.
  13. Le beau JP

Le beau JP

Jan 24, 2020
    Granby, Quebec
    sure lol. But ImO it should clip/fart out at 1 oclock for sure.

Anyhow, My bass has a wide dynamic range though, going through a compressor should help me out.

I just tried out the amp and the 115 cab side by side instead of one on top of the other and the volume seemed to be twice as loud. So everything is fine now.

maybe im just used to the tremendous clean headroom my Mesa rig gives me.

thanks for the advices!

Greenstreet and JimmyM like this.
  14. R2Bass

R2Bass

Aug 8, 2018
    Just curious: Is your bass active? Which input are you using? 0 db or -15 db?

15. Le beau JP

Le beau JP

Jan 24, 2020
    Granby, Quebec
    passive Jazz bass in the 0db input.

16. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Nederland, Tx
    So I run my RB210 with a Fender Rumble 210 cab or an Ampeg 410HE cab, and either extension cab adds major boost. The amp thumps! Not sure what's up with yours.

jeff7bass and Le beau JP like this.
  17. Le beau JP

Le beau JP

Jan 24, 2020
    Granby, Quebec
    Yeah its alright now. Like I said earlier, i found out putting the cab besides the amp instead of under helped me notice the added boost. And I agree its major. No need to crank it past 10-11 now.
    And my Mesa cabs are louder than the Ampeg . So no problem whatsoever.

Just figured out you get what you pay for. And Mesa just has unbeatable quality, which I was used to before buying the Ampeg

18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    EQ settings?

19. Le beau JP

Le beau JP

Jan 24, 2020
    Granby, Quebec
    bass at 1 oclock
    Mids 10 oclock
    Treble 1 oclock

no Ultra lo ou Ultra mids pushed in

jeff7bass likes this.
  20. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Le beau JP likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021