1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7 Pro arriving tomorrow !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ncognito, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Neat head, but your knob settings are sorta freakin' me out.

It doesn't really need those extreme settings to sound good, does it?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Nice, I'm glad it's met your expectations, so far that is.....now go play it live...

3. Nice to hear that Ampeg is still doing things riight. :bassist:

4. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Sweet! It fits just like I wanted. I actually like that it's 15 lbs instead of 3 lbs because it makes it more difficult to pull it off the cabinet.

That was my first concern when I read the specs. But then again, I like the tone out of my VT pedal and there are no tubes in it.

500 watts at 8 ohms?

Looking forward to the practice review!

5. Antares

Antares Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    How would you compare it, in terms of loudness to the SVT 4.

Its rated at 1000 watts Class D power. And ive always found the SVT to be quieter than i thought it should for its advertised power.

6. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    The SVT-7Pro is loud. Pretty close to the SVT-4Pro, but listening to them both, the 4Pro does have a little more juice.

7. Interesting. How would you compare it tone-wise to the Markbass?
    I was interested in the Orange Terror but as a practice amp - it has no headphones and a loud fan. This ticks the boxes for me so far.... and I'm one of those crazy people who actually loved the 3 Pro and didn't find it underpowered. :)

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Congrats; am anxiously awaiting how it sits in the mix in a live situation.
    What kind of music do you guys play?

9. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    My band is www.theincognitos.com

We do all dance/party covers from the 50's all the way into today's music. About 125 gigs per year. I need an amp that is versatile and can get great pick tones as well as fingerstyle and slap. Not many amps do it all well !!!!

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    LOL. Nice to hear they got one thing right in the last three years or so. :p

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Subscribed! Does the 7 PRO have that massive low end push even at flat settings like the 4 PRO? Why is this head not even oin Ampeg's site? Where did you purchase this from?

12. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
  13. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    subscribed

14. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Think I saw you guys at some Lake County fest a few years ago. Good stuff. Interested to know how this amp works out.

15. subscribed

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    two. the micro-vr is insanely good, too. this sounds to me like a more deluxe version of it, although in a much uglier box ;)

17. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Damn, that head looks (seems) to be nice. It's not priced totally out of the ballpark either.

18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    These amps (like the Orange units) must suck!
    3 days and no gig reviews, sound clips, great reports / nothin. :bawl:;):eek:

19. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Well, I did 2 gigs this past weekend with the Ampeg SVT 7 Pro. I'll say this, I like the amp a lot! In 2 seconds I had a sound I was very happy with. If you like the Ampeg sound, this amplifier doesn't disappoint. The gain can be turned up to get nice bit of "crunch". Even more gain gets you fuzz bass heaven! Back the gain down and this baby is clean and loud.

This is the first class D bass amplifier where I was able to get the sound I wanted and the power to go along with it. The class D is buttery smooth and feels more like an all tube amp than a hybrid to me.

There are getting to be more "lightweight" amps out there, but before buy anything I'd suggest you test drive the SVT 7 Pro. I tried 4 other class D babies, and this is the one that sounds the best to me.