1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7 Pro arriving tomorrow !!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ncognito, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Well, I did 2 gigs this past weekend with the Ampeg SVT 7 Pro. I'll say this, I like the amp a lot! In 2 seconds I had a sound I was very happy with. If you like the Ampeg sound, this amplifier doesn't disappoint. The gain can be turned up to get nice bit of "crunch". Even more gain gets you fuzz bass heaven! Back the gain down and this baby is clean and loud.

This is the first class D bass amplifier where I was able to get the sound I wanted and the power to go along with it. The class D is buttery smooth and feels more like an all tube amp than a hybrid to me.

There are getting to be more "lightweight" amps out there, but before buy anything I'd suggest you test drive the SVT 7 Pro. I tried 4 other class D babies, and this is the one that sounds the best to me.

2. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    That's what I like to hear.

Very intriguing. TFS! :) :bassist:

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Threads merged as it's all the one topic.

4. Oh, and how does it compare to that Markbass amp in terms of volume and tone?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    could ampeg really be making a comeback? i'm starting to think so. the micro vr is amazing, and this 7 pro sounds like a high power version of it.

6. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    According to Bass Player mag, Ampeg is supposedly starting up their US production again.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it's not supposedly. they're starting a shop in washington where they're going to make limited run versions of their more popular amps.

8. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Good to hear that this 7-Pro is getting good reviews, and hopefully we'll see Ampeg regain it's reputation based on solid "legacy" performance alongside new and innovative products. I'm curious to see what fate has in store for the 2, 3, and 4 Pro series in the coming year...

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Ncongnito,
    What other class D amps did you audition before you choose the 7 Pro
    (and why if you don't mind saying)

10. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    I've owned/auditioned LM800 Tube, Acoustic Image, Little Mark II, GB Shuttle 6.0, SD800, Peavey Kilobass, Peavey Databass.

All great amplifiers!!! I play in a cover band that requires me to play fingerstyle, pick, and slap. To me and my ears, the Ampeg SVT 7 Pro is the best choice to sound great for all the different playing styles I have to use.

11. Check out their site, new NEO cabs MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lightweight & Powerful at 8 ohms!!!!!!!!

12. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    U like the 7 better than your Fusion 550???

13. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    The Fusion was nice. I had it for about 2 weeks. I really liked my old trusty Ampeg SVT-4Pro better than the Fusion, so I sold it.

The 7 Pro would be my choice over the Fusion every time. I'm not knocking the GK, just the Ampeg is 10 pounds lighter, sounds better (IMO), and has way more power.

14. Does this have a handle on the side for when it's not racked?
    Hows the DI?
    and... What's the fan noise like?

15. I ordered one a few hours ago, should be here by monday at the latest, I'm very excited!:hyper:

16. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    There is no side handle. Rack ears and handles come with the amp if you want to use them. The DI is very good. The fan is quiet and hardly noticable.

17. jmcy2k

jmcy2k

Jan 23, 2008
    NYC
    I just received the NAMM Preview email from Ampeg, and the 7PRO AND 8PRO are listed as new products.

18. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    I got one of the few Ampeg SVT8Pro's back in May of 2007. Tons of power, but a mean RF humm. I hope that is resolved. If so it will be pretty sweet. I had to sell mine.

I'd like to see the Ampeg email if possible.

19. Dan S

Dan S

Mar 3, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think I want one of these.... NOW :)

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    That would be assembled in the USA. :)