1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7 Pro Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Verminaard, Jul 21, 2012.

1. andereocci

andereocci

Sep 4, 2019
    It's not in a rack, just on top of the cabinet, and it start happening after 15 minutes playing..
    Should I put it in a rack?
    Playing at bedroom levels works fine, but I have to raise the volume in the band.

However o would like to point out that I am using the same volume since the beginning and it used to work just fine at same gain/volume brand new.

2. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Have you tried using the pad for active instruments? What bass do you use?
    If you touch the amp, do you feel it hot or not?
    I'm asking as I run mine pretty much like yours and never had any issue. And it drives two SWR Goliath II cabs.

3. andereocci

andereocci

Sep 4, 2019
    Never tried the active pad, playing a passive rick 4003. It is not hot at all when it happens...guess I was just unlucky...

4. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I just went through the owners manual to look up exactly what sends the amp into protective mode and couldn’t find anything.

i don’t have the bandwidth to do a search for it at the moment (it’s 2am here), but i’m guessing protective mode shut down has been covered on the forum before. for my own curiosity, is like to give you a better answer than “just turn down.”. your levels sound fairly normal to me for the cabs you’re running through. if anything, your gain is a little high, but if the threshold light isn’t going wild it shouldn’t be a problem. did you say where you’re running the compressor? i would start with adding compression into your signal and engaging the -15db pad, which i think someone else recommended.

also, my last band played a lot of crust punk kinda stuff, so i was running a ton of dirt in my signal path. i thought having the gain cranked past noon made sense, but i wound up much happier with my tone with the gain backed off to about 9’oclock. with a super loud drummer and a guitarist with a dimed JCM 900, i found that the best way to raise volume was just to keep the mids at or above 3 o’clock.

anyway, see what happens if you back your gain off and raise your mids until you can pinpoint what’s threatening to blow your fuse. good luck!

5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Maybe you are unlucky. Try the pad, I'm curious if it could change things or not.
    Also, could you reproduce the same issue only with you 115 cab?
    Do you have any other bass to try?

I use my SVT7 with my two Sadowsky basses. I engage the pad (hot signal from the basses). Gains set at 3, bass and mids set at 9, treble set at 10 and I adjust the master according to the venue. However I could never set it past 12 nor death might occur! I could feel my guts being kick by the low end.

6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well, after playing for about an hour at a very high input and very hight output (50%) I managed to make the amp to cut off.
    When slapping the amp would suddenly cit off for like 5 secondes and the come back. All I did was rolling of the input a little and the issue didn't come back.

My guess is you amp might not be faulty but there might be something wrong in your signal.

7. andereocci

andereocci

Sep 4, 2019
    thank you baxter_x and thank you all for your reply! I'll follow you suggestion and keep the gain a little lower. I hope it fix the issue so that I can sell my Mesa wd-800. lovely amp, but not my tone :) cheers!

8. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Try to use the pad. I'm pretty sure it will help. Make sure the amp is 100% fine before you get rid of your Mesa.

Also, could you tell us what's the main difference with the Mesa?

9. Phoenix369

Phoenix369

Dec 24, 2020
    Just received a used one from GC. Plugged in for 5 minutes and just shuts off and on. Even when nothing plugged into it. Ridiculous.

Attached Files:

10. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    GC would resell an amp they pulled out of a lake. I’m sure that SVT 7 had a rough life before you got it. Also, i’m probably going to word this incorrectly, but these amps are designed to bypass your input if you’re at risk of blowing the fuse or overheating the unit. it’s a safety mechanism like a circuit breaker. if you read through this thread, there’s a few people that have some great advice on troubleshooting this issue. your amp might be totally fine.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Please show us the revision of the amp. It's NOT ON THE CHASSIS, but on the board. So you have to open it.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    :jawdrop: Nooooooooooooooo:eek:. Say it isn't true :nailbiting:. Nothing makes sense anymore :unsure:. How can I be sure the sun will continue to rise every morning without your Titan powering the universe :atoz:.

Seriously, this blows my mind!

baxter_x likes this.
  13. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    LOL! Well, I heard from many sources, also here, that parts for the amp were getting harder to find. And my nightmare was to face a huge issue one day that could be beyond any repair. So between two nightmares, I chose the least painful.

Wasnex likes this.
  14. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I have a 7pro. I bought it when they first came out. Mine has been in the shop three times. Its fixed now (took a min. for Loudtec. to figure it out) I use it on four different cabs. And I drive it hard. Just stuff it in a backpack and off to the next gig/practice. Been solid (now). The problem they had has been fixed. Seems as though their are just ALOT of older REVs. still out their having problems and giving the 7Pro a bad rep.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Yes I believe it's pretty much impossible to source authentic power MOSFETs for the output section on the open market. Mesa has a stockpile of the required part, but pretty sure they are reserved for in-house repair.

My solution was to finally send my Titan to Mesa for the reliability updates before all the parts are gone. They did a lot of work on the amp, but the only proprietary part they replaced was the power transformer. To my surprise, they left all of the original power MOSFETs in place.

IMHO no other amp has the massive presence of the Titan; that's why it's so hard to believe that you let yours go.

baxter_x likes this.
  16. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    @Wasnex your input is 100% accurate! And as you mentioned , the biggest problem was the MOSFESTs. When one of my two Titans failed, the tech who repaired it warned me about it. This was confirmed by Mesa and AgedHorse too. The simple fact that this fantastic amp could one day turn into a brick was worse than selling it. Letting it go is still a PITA. I never found any amp that sounded like it. Maybe the M9 came the closest. But I felt it was pretty much impossible to control and was hissing a bit too much for me.

If you have in your mind an amp that comes close, just tell me! ;)

Still, I have to admit the first time I tried the SVT 7 I thought it had to fill big shoes. So I cranked gain and master hard and I simply got really impressed with it. I immediately had to lower it a bit to make sure I wouldn’t blow the cab.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Wasnex likes this.
  17. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    Has anyone got their SVT-7 Pro in a shallow-ish case? Can I see (the back really) if you do?

I want to get the Gator 3U shallow molded case but, their site says “13-inch rackable depth” and the SVT measures about 11.5 deep. Idunno if “rackable depth” means rail-to-rail but, I just want to make sure the power cord isn’t going to get jammed crooked when I close the case...? Anyone?

18. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Good question as I wondered if I could fit mine is such a rack. According to me it's not a problem. But if anyone can confirm that would be great.

xI Jonathan Ix likes this.
  19. rzero

rzero

Apr 21, 2014
    AZ
    I bought a wood/tolex rack box for my 7 PRO that is 12" deep. The power cord does stick out past the back a bit, but the back of the box is open and I just remove the power cord when transporting. If you needed a little more room to close the case you could just remove the power cord.

20. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Sounds like you haven't factored in the depth of the lid. Just my opinion.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021