1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT 7 Pro Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Verminaard, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    And just to be clear, they did say it would be way way down the list of possibilities that the XLR itself was messed up if the signal to the cabinet was good. Also, they said if that didn't work, to send it in and they'd figure it out and fix it. They were very helpful in my opinion and were right the first time.

tombowlus likes this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I didn’t say they were wrong. I said “he”, not they, were wrong to tell you that there’s no way it couldn’t be the amp. There was a difference.

Carry on as you see fit….

3. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    Not trying to argue here or anything or be ugly. I did post again that this was way way down the list of possibilities is what they told me to be clear, but they made it sound extremely unlikely that DI out could possibly be bad if you get good speaker out.

I'm just on here wanting to pass on some troubleshooting experience I had that I was impressed with in case it helps others here. I was stressed out when this happened because I've read the horror stories about this head and as I'm sure many others have as well. The rep was exactly right in what they told me to do and I wanted to pass it along to keep others from freaking out like I did.

And also to be clear, I've had this head for several years now and have not had one single problem with it with lots of use.

xI Jonathan Ix likes this.
  4. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    @SeizeTheKarp glad to hear the hum resolved itself! if it happens again, the DI on the SVT 7 can also be run before or after the preamp. try setting the DI to pre and see if the hum is still there. if so, it’s most likely an issue with a cable or a power source.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    But if it's the same path as the speaker output, I don't know how that can be unless there's a loose wire on the XLR out, no?

6. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Where do you get the idea the di is the same path as the speaker output?
    Could be a problem with the IC driving the XLR. Could be a problem with a connector on the preamp board or output board (2). There are lots of possibilities.

7. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Hiya, Jimmy.

Yes, or other damage or component failure. That’s all. We used to have to extra-careful to make sure the phantom power was deactivated when a bassist preferred his line-out to our phantom-powered DI. That’s hardly a thing anymore.

In retrospect, I should have left that one alone. I still feel the same about the service individual, but hey, I didn’t win any brownie points by chiming in.

Hope you and yours are well….

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    xI Jonathan Ix and JimmyM like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Eh, it's not a contest, Geri O...you'll still be a working pro at the end of the day :D

Hope you and yours are well, too, bro!

9. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    The rep told me it's on the same path as the speaker out so it would so way down the list of possible problems.

10. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Update after reading this great post by @baxter_x - totally doable! I am a hack solderer at best (wiring basses, have built out a couple of UncleFluffy Stingray pres), and was able to wrestle the old chip loose and install the new one. Fired it up for the first time at practice last night and it sang. Under $3 for the part (before shipping...)

On a related note - anyone want to buy the brand new Rev H board I got from Full Compass, just in case I screwed this up? One corner was damaged in shipping, but nowhere near any traces...

baxter_x and JimmyM like this.
  11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Great! Is it now trouble free? You faced some issues with the previous chip?

12. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    I never had trouble to begin with, but I got it so cheap that I felt comfortable taking this on as a project.

I did think I'd failed at first, until I popped it back open and realized I'd somehow missed plugging one of the ribbons back in...

baxter_x likes this.
  13. pgpete

pgpete

Nov 18, 2018
    Australia
    had something interesting happen the other day - the guitarist's amp and my 7 pro was on the same electrical lead - he unplugged and I notice my amp had gone dead - I eventually cycled the power to it and it came back fine.
    It seems these amps are sensitive to power spikes/noise - it would be wise to use with a power-board that has power conditioners built in.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  14. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    The amp probably went into some self protection mode. Probably caused by a peak in the electrical lead.
    Power conditioners are nothing more than another multi plug.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    Just bought my second 7 Pro for the studio after my PF 500 went to fault mode. My 1st 7 pro was my practice amp at home. This was gigged for about 8 years with out a hick up. Week after I got the new 7 Pro the old one started to turn on and off by itself.
    Dropped the PF 500 and 7 Pro off for repair.
    500 is fixed and it didn’t need a board! 7 Pro had the shop scratching their head. They had to call Yamaha which recommended a new board. Will know more next week. They said something about it being a perfect 100 hrz but there is no out put and it shuts off. It had out put before I bought it in and then shut on and off. Now there is no output.

16. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    They are probably right. I thought the same, especially since it's an old version of the amp. I think it's not too expensive and fairly easy to swap.

17. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    BTW, I’ve always used a power conditioner. I know it’s just a GFI but I think it kept this amp going for as long as it did.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021