1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT-808HE - Rarest Ampeg cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mezdux, Dec 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mezdux

Mezdux

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm researching about this amp but I can find very little, not even sound clips.
    If anyone has one and can post pictures, i'd be delighted! I've found two pictures of one so far.

2. There's one for sale on eBay right now.

3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    try googling Ampeg 8x8

this should give you some more...

4. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Did these blow speakers like the swr 8x8?

Funk With Me likes this.
  5. MoosBros

MoosBros

Sep 13, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm kind of late getting in here. I played through one for quite a few years. It was the most versatile, efficient, best sounding cabinet I've ever used. Best with a 4 string bass since the cab didn't really get down to the low B with authority. Pretty compact and easy to transport. Worked with any head, and projected very efficiently and LOUD. I had to retire it when one of the 8" 32 ohm speakers started rattling. Ampeg didn't have the OEM/Eminence 32ohm replacement drivers , and Eminence couldn't sell me one because the design was proprietary and owned by Ampeg. If I found one local<highly unlikely>, worth it just to have replacement drivers. Specs...4 ohm, 600w RMS, 1200w peak, <-3db>70-18k, <-10db>55hz.....sensitivity 104db, max spl 132db, weight 130lbs, tilt back cabinet with grab bar, wheels, side handles. dimensions 24x37x19

Hope this helps.

6. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    That's the beef I have with much of this "proprietary" gear. The equipment manufacturer won't /can't supply the parts, and the speaker manufacturer can't sell the parts because of a binding legal agreement. It stinks of planned, intentional obsolescence.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't think Ampeg plans any gear choices as being instantly obsolete :D SLM certainly didn't. They wanted to sell sell sell. And if Eminence doesn't give the big manufacturers their own designs and protect them, then they'll go to someone who will, and that's by far their major market.

However, you should certainly be able to get it reconed. Check around at these major speaker repair shops online. Might cost a little more than buying a new one, but at least it'll be the same speaker. Beats having to buy eight aftermarket speakers so they match.

BTW, if you go that route, I would highly recommend the Eminence Alpha 8a. It's like $50 and sounds very Ampeggy. What are the impedances of the stock speakers? Might even be a pretty good sonic match for those other speakers if the impedance of each speaker is 8 ohms.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    It should be legislated that for example, if Ampeg wants to discontinue support, Eminence (or whoever) should no longer be bound by the previous OEM agreement and be able to provide replacements freely.

Way too many things wind up in landfills because manufacturers want to sell new products rather than support serviceable past products.

I have seen many instances where Eminence will not provide a cone kit because it's proprietary.

Bassdirty likes this.
  9. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I had an Ampeg SVT-808HE. It was nice and very much in the Ampeg HLF cab sounding family. Only reason I sold it was I was running out of room due to the amount of Ampeg cabs I had at the time.

Ampeg 808.jpg

Raw N Low, bobyoung53 and JimmyM like this.
  10. 32 ohms like an SVT.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well never mind on the Alpha 8a, then. Unless you get a set of 8 and wire them up in combinations of series and parallel to get 4 ohms.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  12. I thought your recone idea was a good one. Someone should be able to do it.

JimmyM likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They actually pop up for sale here in NC quite often. They must have been pretty popular around here at some point.

14. I never heard of one and this is a big Ampeg area. Learn something new every day.

15. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Good idea, but as I mentioned, the challenge is getting parts. The recone kit has to match the original specs very closely, otherwise it won't work well with the other speakers.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. Red

Red

May 14, 2019
    all over the place
    Im hitting this post way late - but thats how these go - I just acquired a near mint condition Ampeg SVT 808 HE from a older guy a couple of months ago - It sounds awesome - great cab - punchier than the 8x10 - fat low end all day long - focused mids and nice highs - I may want to part with it because I have my eye on something else.

Neb likes this.
  17. Neb

Neb

Mar 10, 2019
    im looking for 3 speakers for mine if anyone has msgs me plz

18. Neb

Neb

Mar 10, 2019
    what are you looking for?

19. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Never heard one of these, but I really liked the B2 4x8 combo Ampeg made in the mid 2000s. Juicy and deep.

20. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    One of these was provided at a gig some years back. I used it with my GK700RBII and it was one of the best sounds I've ever had / felt!