1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg x-over

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickss, Apr 10, 2010.

1. patrickss

patrickss

Dec 12, 2009
    hi!!

i have in my possession a BSE410 hlf and a SVT410hlf

i would like to change speaker in one of these cab for more powefull speaker

my question is how mutch power can handle the crossvoer of these cabinet

the reason is i need more power in show but i do not want to bring 2 cab in show

i have a potential of 1200 w on my ampeg svt4pro bridged mono @ 4ohm

i saw avatar cab who make 1000W cab it is possible to transform one of my ampeg cab to a 1000-1200W fanken-cab??

if not maybe i will consider to pull out the speaker +the X-over and plug 4 250W-300W 4ohm speaker in serie/paralel

any comments???

2. Volume is more dependant on number of speakers/speaker area than watts. It's really just easier to bring more speakers.

3. patrickss

patrickss

Dec 12, 2009
    no! when you double the power(wattage) you double the sound and then you got 3 more db

just like if you double the speaker you double the sound and then you got 3 more db

but yes if i bring more speaker , i can play with my 2 chanel of my amp and then i double the speaker and i double the power so i quatruple the sound ...result: 6 more db

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    That's not quite correct. If you double the power you'll get 3dB more output, but 3dB isn't twice the volume. To double the volume you need 10x the power.

Again, only partially correct. You'll get 3dB more output, but as stated above, 3dB isn't twice as loud.

Again, not correct.

5. patrickss

patrickss

Dec 12, 2009
    oups you right thanks wikipedia!

so my solution is: more efficient speaker and more poerfull speakers!!

but no one know if ampeg crossover can handle 1000-1200 watts??!!??

6. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    There is no easy answer to your question. SPL can not really be calculated simply with "watts" "impedance" "speaker size" "cabinet design" "decibels" "acoustics" etc. Although they all play a roll. Some folks will tell you 10x the watts equals 2x the volume but they can't explain why my Fender twin (100 watts) seems to be 10 times louder than my Fender champ (10 watts).

I will bet that HLF cabinet was designed around 400 watts. Speakers, crossover, wiring, cabinet etc. and any of the internal components may fail if exceeding that. My HLF cabinet fills large rooms well so I'm wondering why you need more.

There is an easy answer.

Sound man. Let the PA cover those thousands of watts needed to send your groupies home with tennitis.

Just my $.02.

JJ

PS: Some of you need to study up on decibels. Decibels are a ratio (not a sound level).

3db is a ratio of 2 to 1. Commonly used in electronics (amplifier has a gain of 3db, 1 volt in 2 volts out). Also commonly used to describe Sound Pressure Levels (jet plane puts out 120db, 40 to 1 or plane to threshold of hearing). Clear as mud???

7. patrickss

patrickss

Dec 12, 2009
    why??? because i play METAL in small place and i have to combat with 2 5150 (100w) half stack twicked pedal to the metal and and a drummer with BIG arms who play loud!!

70% of time the PA is just enough to cover the signer(screamer)

then i did'nt have the vehicle to handle a 8X10 and of course i did'nt have spare place for my second cab

maybe i am better to buy more powefull cab surch avatar cab or DR.bass cab

8. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Well, IMO two 410 cabs will always cover the room better than one, powerful 410 cab.

When you want to play extreme, you have to act extreme.
    If turning down to reasonable level is not an option, you'll probably have to change the cab.
    Changing the speakers without cab modifications might not be good idea - every cab is made for specified speakers.

But for me you're just playing too loud. Genre has nothing to do with that.
    Playing together is not about fighting who will be louder. I hope you use earplugs, because otherwise you'll be deaf soon.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    nope, you're wrong...that's not opinion...that is fact. two 410's with medium wattage will cover the room better than a single 410 with higher wattage.

anyway, you're not going to get anymore out of those cabs than you can with what's installed. the speakers and the cab were engineered to work together, and you're not going to do any better with more powerful speakers. if you want to be stupid loud, you need a stupid big cab rig. the road to metal bliss is paved with blown small cabs.

10. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Well, if this is a fact it's better for me :) More speakers - lower volume = better effects than one screaming loud speaker cab

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 again to jimmy, (he smart man) changing the speakers in your cabs = bad idea, and if you want loud, you NEED to use both cabs, period.

12. You are going against two guitar players each having a 100W amp and 4x12 cabinets. How are you EVER going to keep up with one 4x10?? They have way more cone area and are moving more air than you ever can. Two 4x10s would be an absolute minimum to compete. Four 4x10s would be closer. Remember the metal band concerts where the guitar player would have a couple of full stacks to play through. The bass player often had six full stacks.

All in all if you are unable to keep up with what amounts to an 8x10 then the band is simply too loud. Keep it up and your musical career will go down the tubes as your ears fail.

Paul