1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amplifier Tilt / kick back legs

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jb6884, Mar 31, 2006.

1. jb6884

jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Can anyone suggest a good product to install on a combo amp to tilt it back? Home made or otherwise... I'd prefer not to mount anything on the sides. It's an EDEN CXC110. Thanks.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    How about making a triangular tube from three strips of thin wood or thick cardboard. Connect two sides with duct tape and then complete the triangle using velcro (that way you can make it flat for easy storage and transport). The strips could be about 12 inches long and 2 or 3 inches wide (depending on how high you want it to lift).

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    An idea stolen from a musical college -- cut triangular notches in two sides of a milk crate. It serves as a tilt back amp stand on the stage, then you carry your cables in it when you load out.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
  5. I use exactly the one in mje:s post for my GK MB150s. Works fine, and is very small and easy in transport.

6. A spring loaded tilt back handle screwed to the bottom of the cab works great (toward the front with the handle pulling outward to the front of the cab. This comes standard on EA's cabs... no extra piece to carry around, and as long as you also install small rubber feet on the bottom of the combo (a good idea anyway), you can use the combo normal or tilt back with no problem.

Low Down Sound has them in stock.

7. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just another idea here. I have a somewhat bigger speaker that I'd like to tilt back. While ordering one or two other things, I got a couple of those plastic sockets for pole-mounting PA speakers. My idea is to put one of those on my speaker, and make a stubby leg out of PVC pipe. What I don't know yet is whether to put the leg on the bottom front, or the back of the speaker. It depends on the center of gravity and how far back I want the box tilted, I suppose. Meanwhile, I thought that I would at least share the idea.

Of course the real deal is still a kitchen chair to put the speaker on.

8. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I've tried lots of kitchen chairs, but I found that I prefer the tonal qualities of a barstool.

Besides getting the amp up a little closer to my ears, the barstool tonewood just adds a certain sonority to the sound that works great in bars ... that have lots of barstools lying around.

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I think with a tilt-back set up, you still get floor coupling. With an amp stand, you don't. Just a difference that is worth pointing out, methinks.

FWIW, I like using an amp stand nowadays, just to get the speaker that much closer to my ears. An amp stand (if it's high enough) can also in some cases help project the sound from your amp out over top of your DB (and reduce feedback some), up and over the drum kit, etc.

On the other hand, sometimes having the amp on the floor is just the trick. Nice and thick. I guess it kinda depends on the room, size of the stage, your bandmates, your tastes, etc.

[ There are plenty of other posts on the floor v. raised topic, if this piques anyone's interest. ]

In a pinch, I guess I could just borrow a few of my 5-year old's bright colored building blocks, and shove 'em under the front of my amp to tilt it back. Plus I could build a toy castle with them when I'm on break.

10. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I went to a kayak store and bought a small block of closed-cell foam, which people use to cut knee and hip braces to customize boat fit. I just cut it diagonally to make a wedge that I slip under the cab.

Oh, and that's for when I end up using my GK microbass speaker cab or my little Polytone combo ... my main rig is Wizzy cabs, which have the springloaded handle for tilting back.

Just about anything will work, though. I've rolled up a towel, used a folded up pair of gloves, or stuck an extra cable under the front edge of the cab.

Good luck,

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
  12. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Yeah, but are you using slab sawn barstoolwood, or quartersawn? And what kind of varnish? You know, the Venetians used a special varnish on their barstools. I happen to have discovered the secret of their formulation, but I'll post that in a more appropriate forum.

I like fdeck's idea. You could also steal AI's idea, and install a large T-nut (or two) in the bottom of your cab, in which you'd screw a short piece of threaded rod, or maybe a stove bolt, with the head dipped in PVC.

13. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Hey, I like the tee-nut idea. Much more discreet, less cutting, and I could attach two. One on the bottom near the front for small angle, one on the back for big angle. And with the tee-nut on the back, I could literally screw the speaker to my little cart with some kind of knurled bolt for greater stability when wheeling it around.

But you need to put something over the hole when not in use, to avoid whistling. Unless you cap the hole on the inside.

14. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Depending on the thickness of the cabinet, you might be able to get away with simply not drilling all the way through. Maybe put a drop of epoxy at the bottom of the hole to be on the safe side.

15. Man, the spring loaded handle thing will do the same thing and is easier and less obtrusive.. I don't quite get why you would want to go through all of the above? Is it that the spring loaded handle (the 'EA tilt back that they use) doesn't provide enough tilt?

All these other ideas involve either carrying more stuff, or screwing in PVC pipe, etc. into a beautifully made cabinet:confused:

Just curious... I'm confused:)

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am certainly keen on looking into the dimensions of the spring loaded handle, to see if I can figure out the amount of tilt that I will get.

17. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    hi,
    has anyone experiences with this: http://www.ampstandback.com/ ?
    i would especially like to know if it works with a gkmb150. i´m not sure if the amp is to small for this stand.
    thank you

18. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    on my LDS cab I have both the tilt back handle (that I use mostly and works wonderfully) and a pole mount attachmant (when it is too boomy and I need more monitor) Both work great. If I could find (or find someone to modify) a PA stand so it was not 4 feet off the ground but 1 or 2 feet that would be ideal. Anyone know of a really short PA stand?

19. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How about a strip of Auralex Platfoam (as used in the GRAMMA)? Cut it to length and put it under the front edge of the cab/combo. Works great for me!

Alex

20. When I was using a Nemesis 210 combo I used light ply and road-case angle to make a drop-on case for it that doubled as a stand. I made cutouts for the handles so I could still carry the whole thing easily - the amp was well protected and I always had my stand with me.