1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An anniversary

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Amazing as is sounds, today is the day that I found talkbass during a google search. That day WAS SIX YEARS AGO!!!:eek:

It's kind of amazing, looking back at some of my old material, to see how I've changed and who I've become. Granted, my sense of humor is pretty much the same (rubber chicken!!) but I think I've matured a lot since I joined.

I do want to thank those of you who have been supportive of me in the past. I've gone through deaths, dis-bandments, and breakups while on this forum, and I've always been able to turn to you guys when I'm feeling low. Sometimes it's a kind word, and sometimes it's breaking out in REALLY bad song.:D

So, here's to all of you bass players out there. Newbies, old fogies, and guys like us in the middle. May we all have the time of our lives here on TB, and may our trolls be as entertaining and stupid as always. Thank you.

Rock on
    Eric

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA

Before I align myself in one of those categories, perhaps you could provide some loose guidelines of each? It's your thread, so you get to decide. :D

-Mike

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I don't know why, but I decided to enter Beefbass into the search, and went back thru all the threads-well, most of them-that I've participated in since coming on board in 2001.

First, let me say; I can't believe it's been 5 years already! maybe thats why I felt the need to go back thru old threads.

As I read thru them, I began to think a lot about myself. How I was then, and how I'am now. I've been playing since 1980(with about a year and a half off during military service.) I'll be the first to admit, I don't know everything, and probably never will.

I realize however, that I've learned a lot here at Talkbass over that time. Much of it was about how gear actually works, rather than just plug 'n play and be otherwise ignorant.
    It has been a big help to me. These kind of discussions didn't take place when I was coming up as a kid. well, not any in depth stuff anyway.

I've also taken quite a lot about actually playing too, as I hope a lot of others have too. there are some really good people here, who have a lot to share about the playing of electric bass. To all of those folks here at Talkbass, I greatly appreciate what you've had to contribute.

The most remarkable thing, is how I feel I've grown up quite a bit since being here. I figured, "hey, I'm 30 something now, I'm all set." Not true. I figure, you're never too old to wise up at some point in your life. No, I'm not nearly perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But as I looked thru things I wrote here so long ago, I like to think I've come a long way over 5 years.

The greatest lesson I found was to think real carefully before responding to things. I thought about that reading thru a couple of threads that brad Johnson responded to. I thought at the time, "jeez louise, why is this guy acting the way he is, what did I do to him, yada yada yada?" When i went back, I thought to my self, "wow, I can't believe I wrote what I did."
    Hmmm, the guy is right, and I should have thought thru a bit better before I said what I did. BTW, in case you read this Brad; I really think you're a cool, down to earth kinda guy, who's opinions I respect highly. he's not the only one I feel this way about BTW-he's just sticking out in my mind right now.

The bottom line is, I've gotten a lot out of talkbass over the last 5 years here. I can't believe how much I feel I've changed, both personally, and as a player. Is talkbass perfect? Well, no place is. But IMHO, it's a lot better place to be than any other music site I've been to.

Here's looking to many more good years here at TB (incidentally, my initials!) :hyper: :bassist: :)

4. i must agree this is a pretty good site.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+10,000 :hyper:

Whats great is, being able to talk to other bassists all over the world. :bassist:

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

It's been 5 years for me. In fact, I just did what you did-went back thru my old threads, to see just how much I've changed! I just started a thread about this today. I was wondering if anybody else felt like I did-guess the answer is right here!

Here's to many more good years here at TB. :hyper:

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I've been representing NWB (Newbs with brains) since...uh...I forget.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very Cool , I found Talk Bass on a google search in 2000 but for some reason I thought it would be a hassell to sign up so I didint untill over 2 years later.

9. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Congrats. 6 years is quite a while.

I'm coming up on one year. I just never posted up until now.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's been almost 4 here. Still fun, but much other stuff to do too.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Well, at least three of us...for now.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

TalkBass is an invaluable source of knowledge to me.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah I lurked for a while before joining, too. I used to be a member of a Ranger and a Mustang forum, but this is the only one I still post at.

14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

That would be cool with me, if the Mods would like to do so, since him and I were on the same page-bet neither one of us realized that at the time we posted our threads! :hyper:

15. I have to admit that in the (short) time I've been here, (8 months), I've learned quite a lot, including not only bass-related things, but posting-related do's and don'ts and the biggest is not to underestimate someone else's background. I've stuck my foot in my mouth once or twice, questioning people's "credentials", so to speak, without realizing the caliber of players that are a part of this wonderful place. For any offense; none intended! I really have become attached, (and somewhat addicted) to this place as a bass-sanctuary of sorts where I can "hangout", and interact with other players. I'm still trying to scrape some $$$'s together from the 3-kid budget I've got and feel I owe something to Paul for letting me come in and visit whenever I want. My goal is to be a supporting member soon. So, thanks BeefBass for getting me to think about this and thanks "Talkbass" for letting me in! It's a really great place to "hang your hat" every now and then.

Take care all!:bassist:

16. i remember i found tb in my search for what kind of gear Tim Commerford used in RATM (before it was the cool thing to do :)) and then i guess i just stayed for the fruit juice and cookies

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Next month, it'll be 6 for me.

18. Just watch out for the lime Kool Aid. Sometimes it has a bit of a kick at the end.:D

Rock on
    Eric

19. Aww, look at our little Beefy all grown up!!:D

Rock on
    Eric