1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Gollihur Kudo

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, decided to go frenchie again. So picked up one of Bob's bows.

Just like everyone else has said, great bow for the buck.

:D

2. finally my bow arrived... well actually it arrived 1 month ago, but i had to fight against the guys at the aduana (i think that the english word for that is customs) cause the package arrived with a big tax....(87,17 US that i don't have) so at the end i achieved a re-adjustment of the tax... they told me 40 US... but today, 1 month after i went to the aduana, a letter arrived to my mail and the new tax was 55 US (arghh!)..... anyway i picked my bow today, and it rocks so much, my teacher liked it, and i like it, better than the one my teacher was lending me. The case is deluxe (period). really great.
    the rosin arrived a bit melted, a shame..... but then i tried it on my bow, and it works great too.

a great buy

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Got my French bow this past week along with the Carlssons rosin.

Wow! What a pleasant bowing experience. Super bow and a super deal.

Word Up Bobby G!

4. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    I also picked up a French Bow based on Paul's (and everybody elses) positive feedback about them. The first thing I noticed it was MUCH lighter than the cheap one that came with my bass, and I was able to get a decent sound out of it immediately, rather than a scratchy one from my cheap bow.
    Ive only been playing arco for about a month so obviously my experience is limited, but I figure if a guy of Paul's caliber recommends it, thats good enough for me. My teacher also said it was a smokin' deal, 'nuf said.
    Speaking of deals...the essential strings 3 book set with DVD and 3 CDRoms is an incredible deal as well at 21 bucks shipped....Thanks Bob!

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Heh.. I shouldn't have started a new thread for my purchase! I picked a german form Bob and am very happy with it so far, despite my ignorance. :p

6. Hey Bob....you out there???
    You and I need to talk about maybe you gettin' me some kinda payback for all these customers i'm sending you.
    It doesn't have to be money....we could talk about some basses maybe???? :hyper:

7. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think Bob's Bulgarian basses come as fivers too...maybe you can get one of them brand new to replace that old one you're playing... :p

8. :D

9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    Ya still on Welch St? I can send something your way but I don't think a bass would fit in the box ;)

10. DON'T YOU DARE! I WAS JOKING! I WANT A BASS OR NOTHING.....MAKE IT A FIVER. :scowl:

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

How underhanded ! :smug:

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Hey, I don't normally post here. But, there's a first time for everything, right? I've exchanged a few e-mails with Bob (Hi Bob!) about getting a bow for an EUB, the NS EU6 specifically. On his advice, I am considering the French Brazilwood bow.

Does anyone here use a bow on an EUB? Who else here has the French Brazilwood bow?

Something that I had not originally considered, and unless you're familiar with the NS series EUB's you might not know, is that the EU6 is a 6-string EUB. So, would the French style be a better choice than the German style? I am basing this question on the fact that the angles at which the bow has to cross the strings is more on both sides than a standard 4-string. So, which grip would offer the most flexibility, comfort, and accuracy? I'm not worried about the extra 'power' of the german style grip, it's electric after all.

Note: I am not an upright player, If I use incorrect teminology or sound like I don't know what I am talking about, please take it easy on me. But, please correct me where necessary.

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I've bowed on my Ergo before. I think it sounds better bowed then plucked. Anyhow, plenty of people bow on EUB. It doesn't resonate and sound as beautiful (IMO) but you can totally do it. I would think that as long as the curvature of the FB/Bridge is so that you can get to each individual string, you shouldn't have a problem even with 6 strings. From this forum, I've learned that plenty of guys (like Ken Smith for instance) bows on a 5 stringer. It's totally normal.

I have one of Bob's french brazilwood and I like it. German grips seem to be a little more Ergonomic IMO but I think the consensus is that it's all about personal taste. My teacher certainly didn't care if it was either one.

14. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Kudos to Bob *and* to Talkbass, for this great bow. I'd been bow-less for many years, but always talked about it. So unbeknownst to me, my sweetheart took it upon herself to research the web, and ended up here. She then surprised me with one of Bob's German bows for our 2nd anniversary together. I was surprised :confused: shocked :eek: and delighted :D.

Even with rusty skills, I could tell how good a bow it is. I've been sawing away like crazy ever since.

/rick

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I almost forgot about this thread. I did get a bow from Bob, a French style Brazilwood one, and a case, and a quiver, and some rosin, hehe. I don't know much about bows, but I think it's pretty damn good.

16. detroitmike

detroitmike

Nov 12, 2004
    Contrary to the glowing reviews here, this bow is not the best bow ever. I got it for my daughter and my son for Christmas (they both play the bass). In the first two days of playing, the plastic wrap started moving around. I emailed Bob, he suggested that I could attempt to glue it myself - or he would take it back at that time. I gave the glue a go, my daughter loved the bow and the sound! I tried gluing it using Duco cement as well as three other glues as it kept moving - each time the glue seemed to last about a week or two. Then in April, the bow fell apart while she was using it in her lesson. The wedge popped out and the hair came out. Her bass instructor said he had never seen anthing like this. Four days later, she was scheduled for an audition for the Detroit Civic Orchestra, so I ran off to Shar Music (about an hours drive away) and purchased a Presto Carbon Fiber bow. This one was about the same price as Bob's Bow, but seems better built. It has more hair than the Bob Bow.

So in 4 days, she was forced to try to relearn the piece required by the audition Mozart's Symphony Number 40 in G First Movement -- a tough bit to relearn with the balance of a new bow!

Now we have had the Shar's Presto Carbon Fiber for about two months and absolutely no issues. The wood wedge of the Bob bow was never "all the way in" the ferrule like it is on the Presto. I have never taken any "glue" to the Presto.

I actually bought the Bob bow after reading this message thread. Now I am sorry I did.

17. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, every product is going to have a few bad ones. Bob did offer to replace it for you though. You probably should have just done that. I've never had a problem with mine.

18. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Funny, I've been having similar problems with a german bow I picked up used from another TB'er. The leather and metal wrap can slide around but I end up pushing it up against the frog and it stays there unless I pull it away from the frog accidentally. Last night the frog ferrule decides to pop out and slide down the hair.

What can I do the keep it put? Use whatever this "Duco" glue is on it? Upgrade? I just switched from french to german I was just getting to like the bow since my technique is just started to get better. I never had any problems with Bob's french bow.

Anyways, Thanks for any help guys.

19. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    I'll soon get one of BG's bows. When I get some cash. I'll report back when that happens.

20. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Just got my Bob Bow- I love it. I mean, even *I* can tell the difference. Much better than my Glasser "hybrid" carbon/glass bow, and cheaper, too. When my nephew trades his 1/2 size Juzek for a 3/4 instrument I think I'll buy him one, too.