1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Answer to the Gibson Grabber Case Dilemma?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by worldsnake, Jan 17, 2012.

1. worldsnake

worldsnake

Jan 17, 2012
    Hi I'm new to the forums. I bought a Grabber the other day and it is aweeeesome. very sweet instrument, although I had a lot of trouble finding a case for it. I had a store owner of a local music store call his Gib rep to see if they still sold grabber II cases and Gibson said they dont sell cases individually and the Grabber case is discontinued anyway...so what gives right?

after scowering the net looking for SOMETHING that might fit (hoping I wouldn't have to settle for a coffin case) I just bought a case off ebay that was made for a Gibson EB-2 or Epiphone Rivoli Bass. The dimensions described were perfect for the grabber.

SO, I hope that helps anyone looking out there for a grabber or ripper case. Search for EB2 or Rivoli cases also. you might get lucky like I have.

ps. grabber dimensions are here at this link
    Gibson Grabber Electric Bass Guitar Technical Specifications

2. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Thanks for posting yer G2 about the G1.

Another challenge with casing a Grabber is the wider-than-usual head. I don't even like to put mine in a Ripper case because the tuners bump the case, and knock it out of tune.

[​IMG]

I finally fell upon a vintage Japanese no-name case that fits both Grabber body and head, but it was entirely dumb luck.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if Gibson Grabber cases have wider head space than their Ripper case, or are they the same case???

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    My Grabber wont fit in my Ripper case.

mistergoats likes this.
  4. worldsnake

worldsnake

Jan 17, 2012
    Im not sure. the one I bought that is enroute to my house is rectangle shaped with plenty of room. But I know what you mean. I guess having awesome instruments comes at a cost...

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Good to know, I was under the impression they were the same case.

6. worldsnake

worldsnake

Jan 17, 2012
  7. trying my luck here...
    anyone has a Ripper case for sale?

8. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    This my G2 in the original case...

DSCN2807.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  9. worldsnake

worldsnake

Jan 17, 2012
    the head stock on that case definitely looks bigger than normal

10. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    It is - like a paddleboard. Its the Flying V headstock. Gibson seems to be recycling parts from different models in their reissues these days. But its got tons on tone fo shaw!

11. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Just when I think I know everything on a subject, little things like this pop up.

12. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Someone's gotta bear the cross. ;) :D

13. I finally found a case for my Ripper and it could definitely fit a Grabber too. I had a lucky strike at a small local luthier shop, he had what seems to be a 70's Gibson RD case in his backroom for the last couple of years without knowing what to do with it. Got it for 40$ this weekend. Sweet deal.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  14. worldsnake

worldsnake

Jan 17, 2012
    Nice wish I was as lucky

15. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    I know I'm bumping an old thread. But I'm probably buying a Gibson G3 Grabber Tribute pretty soon and for some reason they didn't have enough sense to have it come with a hard case.

So what are my relatively affordable options? I think I heard someone say the Epiphone Explorer hard case is a good fit. But I'd like to know how good/snug? Anything else in modern production?

I don't mind a large rectangular case at all. I just don't want a Coffin Case.

16. RMooreRAM

RMooreRAM

May 2, 2013
    I own 8 basses and my 74 Grabber is my absolute favorite. I too and looking for a case with no good options to date.

17. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i'd like to find some one who rebuilds cases.. my Grabber case is *beat* and i know how hard it is to find a decent case for them..

doesn't the reissue case fit the older Grabbers??

18. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    It will but gibson isn't selling them. I contacted them to see if they were/would and they directed me to their custom case builder who quoted like $300. Not worth it, IMO. They only made a limited number of grabber and ripper reissues and didn't make cases beyond that. The G3 reissue came with a gig bag. Pretty stupid on their part if you ask me, they'd have a pretty decent market selling cases to people with the vintage ones.

I picked up a really beat up grabber case cheap on ebay and rebuilt it a bit (at least to be functional) so I'd have a hardshell for each of my gibsons. The beat up case had to be nailed/screwed/glued back together and needed a new handle. It's not pretty by any means at this point, but it's functional. I'd check with a place that does furniture and luggage repairs, they could probably take care of it for you.

19. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Hiscox Extended Bass case fits the Grabbers/G-3's/Rippers...can't think where I heard it though. I'm picking up a restored G-3 soon which needs a case so I'll look into it then.

20. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Epiphone made an explorer case that would fit too. It was wide enough inside and just square cutouts. It's been discontinued though. Maybe try finding something explorer bass sized.