1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anthony Jackson Health Status?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BobDeRosa, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Does anyone know how Anthony Jackson is doing? Last I heard (late July, maybe), he was too ill to go on tour with Hiromi, but I've heard nothing since. Does anyone know if he's touring with her again? Thanks.

Roxbororob and Michael4bass like this.
  2. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Not a word... Although I saw him this year, and I was surprised how shaky he was on his feet. Anthony IMO, walked with difficulty...

BobDeRosa likes this.
  3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    It definitely does seem like everyone is keeping this very close to the vest, for whatever reason. I hope and pray for Anthony's improved health.

IamGroot, T-Funk, BobDeRosa and 2 others like this.
  4. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I know some people who know him really well and they don't know anything. They said he is beyond extremely private. I just hope he is doing well; the only info was that post on Facebook by Basil Fearington that he had a stroke and at the time was not able to speak. But no update as to whether he's made any progress since then. I don't have Facebook though so maybe he's posted since then.

I really wish him well, he's an all time favorite and the world is better when he makes music.

5. louloomis

louloomis Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    I hope he gets better soon. I spoke to him one time maybe 10 or so years ago? He was completely direct and up front and seemed like a nice guy. Quick conversation, but he was definitely attuned to our brief exchange...listening...and responding - no ego at all, just a clear and honest communicator. I thought that was really cool. Cool dude.

LL

kobass, BobDeRosa and Bob_Ross like this.
  6. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Holy Yikes - what a great player; both a complete student and master of the instrument. Best wishes to him...

bottomzone and NigelD like this.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Nicely put!

8. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. A friend of mine had input from him on a project in the late '80's, and had many stories to tell of AJ's devotion to the craft and the study of past masters, especially Jamerson.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Well, the Jamerson influence is obvious and well documented.
    I sometimes get the impression AJ is playing what Jamerson would( might) in certain contexts). :)

10. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I am praying for Anthony's recovery. I've been listening to a lot of the amazing bass playing that he did with Chaka Khan. It's astounding how amazingly fluid his technique is and the way he imparts the groove and executes fills is scary good! My goodness!!! :woot: Anthony Jackson and James Jamerson are definitely on my Mt. Rushmore of bassists!

T-Funk, nolaguy and Joebone like this.
  11. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Chaka, Naughty and Whatcha Gonna Do For Me should be required listening for the class of Anthony Jackson 101.....!

Prayers for a speedy recovery.....!

bgartist and bottomzone like this.
  12. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I concur scatman! Those are the recordings that I am listening to! I don't know if I'll ever be ready for the 201 class!!!

13. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    When/if you are . . .

:thumbsup:

jmattis likes this.
  14. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Oh yeah, I've heard that project!

Lee Moses likes this.
  15. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    That's a great album. My copy was signed my Michel Camilo the night I met AJ. And Joel Rosenblatt kicks butt on that album. I am lucky enough to do sound on a gig he plays sometimes, he's an incredible drummer and even nicer person. The regular drummer on the gig has also done tons of work with AJ and I've heard some good stories.

With that being said, AJ is extremely private and they haven't been able to contact him, but are all wishing him well. I don't want to start any rumors about his situation (and I don't have firsthand knowledge of it) but I do know that this was not a minor situation and I do hope that he recovers, regardless of how his playing may or may not be affected.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Any news?

17. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Nov 17, 2012
    Going to see Michel Camilo Trio at The Blue Note this June. Anyone know how AJ is doing? I would love to see him perform with Michel.

Lee Moses likes this.
  18. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
  19. dedoonbass

dedoonbass

Nov 17, 2012
    Sad, I really hope he is doing OK. His playing has always helped to keep me inspired and driven to study

20. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Agreed.