1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else have Logo "Reverse Prejudice"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Legattabass, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I always hear musicians saying they're turned off seeing a Squier logo, or an Epiphone logo. Logo Prejudice.

I see a Squier logo and think "I can AFFORD that!" and am instantly MORE interested in the bass. :D

Anyone else feel the same way?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Nope.

3. I 110% agree.

These days, if i'm playing a show and i see another bassist playing a Squier/Epiphone/SX, i'm instantly more interested. Especially if the other bassist is really skilled!

Case in point: My girlfriend sings in a Led Zeppelin tribute/cover band. The bassist, guitarist and drummer are all locally well known music instructors in their given area. The bassist uses a bone-stock Blue Squier Affinity P bass... and he's AMAZING. Shoot, he's even turned any JPJ keyboard parts into bass tapping parts. Dude just knows how to PLAY the bass, not adhere to the headstock logo (He's also psudo Buddhist and eschews fancy material "things").

Anyways, yes... i agree.

I would rather see someone tearing it up on a squire, than playing only 8th notes on a MIA Fender.

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I sand off EVERY sticker on my headstocks and replace it with "Junk Made in China" so people can flame me on TB daily. :rollno:

5. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Nothing makes me smile quite like seeing a band or a player up there kicking tail on a piece of gear that so many have written off.

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I see a Squier logo and I think "What Chinese prison did this get made in?" or "Which Chinese lake did they dump the expended paint solvents in?"

7. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    You're so narrow minded. You need to include INDONESIA too. Duh. :bag:

8. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    My only bass at this point is a MIM Fender, and I love that series. I'm digging the new Squiers as well. These days a lot of people just can't afford the expensive brands, and I think the name on the headstock is meaning less and less.

Heck, you can buy Fender logo stickers and replace the Squier logo if it means that much to you!

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    They can afford it. People would just rather not pay for the US worker's living wage and health care.

10. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Please keep politics out of this. Don't want the mods getting riled up.

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Cuz' everyone knows bassplayers always make so much money...they can afford anything they want!:rolleyes:

12. I have the same feeling, I have more respect for good players on affordable instruments than ok players on MIA Fenders of Gibsons.

It tells me that the player has a sense of practicality.

13. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I'll pay more attention to the logo when it jumps off the headstock and starts playing better than me :D

14. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I'm open to lots of brands, but I always seem drawn to Yamaha because they're such a great value, not to mention the great playability and sound.

I am also not really drawn to the several Gibson brands due to some bad experiences playing them. Also shy away from Ibanez, though not always.

15. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    I know I can't afford the basses I'd like to own. Where am I supposed to get several thousand dollars for a custom Dingwall or Lakland? I'd be struggling to afford some Fender models. It has nothing to do with politics, its about buying an instrument that costs more than I make in three months of work. I can afford Squiers, so they interest me.

16. You think so?

I had to use my tax return last year just to buy an SX.

I've never made so much money that I could afford to buy whatever I want. Don't know if I ever will. At this point I'd settle for being able to pay rent every month.

If I could afford to buy American made basses, I would. Or at least I'd support my local economy by buying my import basses at a locally owned guitar shop instead of GC.

But because of how little money I make, I always try to stretch my dollar as far as possible. If this means buying online, or buying imports, I'll do it. That's simply the way it's going to be until I can afford to do more.

17. sig'd..

By the way, does it make me one of the 'off brand bottom feeders' if I own a Peavey foundation S and a T-40?

18. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    +1

19. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    Don't get me wrong, I love ranting about politics, but mods gonna cut a %$$#@ if I'm not careful.

20. Oh I know.. I've had a few posts deleted so I found it funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.