1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone ever have a spinal tap moment?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mikethecannibal, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mikethecannibal

mikethecannibal

Jan 19, 2008
    erie pa
    okay, i love spinal tap, has anyone had a similar experience to what they have had or does anyone actually go as far to put their equipment to 11?

2. MaxZolt

MaxZolt

Aug 21, 2007
    Westport, CT
    My band is called Eleven...

3. mikethecannibal

mikethecannibal

Jan 19, 2008
    erie pa
    ive tried to actually set my crate bx 15 to 11 but i cant like get it to look right

4. I bought my singer/guitarist this knob for her Les Paul:
    [​IMG]

5. I had a Tap(ish) moment in the effects forum this weekend when I saw the new EHX "Steel Leather" pedal. Seems like it was inspired by "Smell the Glove". :bassist:

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My old band opened for Spinal Tap one time. Truly! It was a big corporate event for Cisco. Fortunately nothing "Tap-like" happened to us, but the real "Tap moment" was when Tap allowed some regional VP of Cisco up onto the stage for his own guitar solo. Boy could he shred. :rolleyes: Well, he wasn't terrible, aside from being a red-faced balding sales exec in slacks and a too-tight white button-down weedley-weedling on a BC Rich in the middle of a Spinal Tap concert.

7. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Syosset, NY
    I had an interesting Spinal Tap moment this fall. I was shipping a guitar I sold at UPS in East Hampton NY near where i live. Ther was an old woman in front of me shipping many boxes to CA. She was going there for the winter. I put my boxed up guitar on the other scale. It had "fragile delicate instrument" stickers on it. She looked at the box and asked what kind of instrument it was. I told her it was a guitar I sold and was shipping to the buyer. She said her son plays guitar. I said "that's nice". She said "yes he's in Spinal Tap". I said "The Spinal Tap?" as if there could be more than one. "Christopher Guest is my son" she replied. "Nigel Tufnel is your son?" "Yes he is and I'm really proud of him". More small talk about Spinal Tap followed. When she paid I looked at her check book. Sure enough, Jean Guest. Made my day. I could have gone the rest of my life w/o hearing someone say "my son is in Spinal Tap".

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I got lost backstage with Leland Sklar this summer at the House of Blues Chicago...wandering up and down three flights of stairs, down a few corridors, through the kitchen, you name it.

Lonnybass

9. UPTHE1RON5

UPTHE1RON5

Dec 10, 2007
    turned up to a gig once and there was 2 people there.....

10. i had a similar "shocking" incident with the night bulb once when i was too sleepy to remember anything but the spark around the mid night! :eek: anyways does that qualify as a spinal tap moment too? lol

11. Joesick

Joesick

Jan 3, 2007
    I went out onstage and said "Hello Cleveland!"

I think the average audience member was about 13 years old, and had a similar IQ, so in all an awkward start.

12. mikethecannibal

mikethecannibal

Jan 19, 2008
    erie pa
    my one band mate in my old band played a guitar with his foot oin a really crapy solo he was trying and evertyone look ed at him, i went to my drummer and was like dude, he needs spandex and this would be perfect

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One time, backstage, I broke a TV with a cricket bat.

Not really.

14. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    My band is currently auditioning for our 4th drummer in less than 3 years, I reckon the next will blow-up on stage. Only one choked on someone elses vomit*.

* Not actually true.

15. This band i watched once where playing and the smoke machine set of the fire alarm. the shutters came down and the screen came in front of the stage.
    my brother had to run out and hold the screen open at the middle so the lead singer could poke her head out.

16. Played a gig where got lost backstage walked out through some curtains into another bands set by accident

17. Maybe not a spinal tap moment but...
    I was jammin with my drummer friend in his small bedroom. I dropped my pick on the ground and bent down to pick it up, bass still strapped to my shoulder (neck swinging procariously).
    There was very little room between amps and equipment sitting on the floor.
    Long story short- my friend popped up from behind my amp, begins a sentence, and fails when my headstock whacks him in the face. 1 minute of groaning and apologising ensued, followed by 10 minutes ofv laughing.:)

18. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    remember when Nigel finishes his 'guitar solo on his back' routine and has to be helped up by a roadie? I had the exact same thing happen to me, except I was on my back due to slipping on spilt beer... our sound guy had to come on and help me up whilst I was playing, in a remarkably Tufnel-esque way

thankfully, no-one's ever said "he wrote this" (in an 'it's nothing to do with me' kind of way) over the intro of any of our tunes

and I have my exact inner structure done in a T-shirt

while we're on about Tap... hoary old denim clad british rockers Status Quo got stitched up by their roadies while playing London's Wembley Stadium once... as their big 80's hit 'In The Army Now' rumbled to its conclusion, a 12" high Stonehenge slowly descended from behind them... entire audience pisses themselves as most of the band are totally oblivious

19. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    did you have a bigger dressing room than the puppets though?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021